British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying property in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-property-usa-736072/)

coldman Oct 18th 2011 10:57 am

buying property in the USA

are you able to buy property in the USA to use as a holiday home without a residency visa?

Jerseygirl Oct 18th 2011 11:40 am

Re: buying property in the USA

Originally Posted by coldman (Post 9681273)
are you able to buy property in the USA to use as a holiday home without a residency visa?

Yes you can.

Sancho_p Oct 18th 2011 12:24 pm

yes, you can. We've done it, had a condo for 2 1/2 years now, and when we eventually get our immigration visas it'll become our permanent home. Until then it's a holiday home.

sir_eccles Oct 18th 2011 4:15 pm

It's a "yes, but..." answer.

You should not think that you will derive any immigration benefit or advantage from owning the property. In fact if the officer at the POE thinks you are trying to de facto live in the US and not just visit for holidays and refuses you entry that will cause all sorts of issues. So, be careful and plan to spend more time out of the country than in and don't overstay.

Noorah101 Oct 18th 2011 5:01 pm

Yes, you can. You will need money to put towards the upkeep of the property when you're not vacationing in it. Figure 85 days a year in it, the rest of the time you're paying someone (or a management company) to keep it up for you. Plus home owners insurance.

Unless you are of retirement age and are able to get a B-2 visa, in which case maybe it would be a 50/50 split...6 months in the USA, 6 months back home.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 18th 2011 6:06 pm

A friend of mine bought a place earlier this year, my warning would be that children will soon want to go their own way so do not assume they will be there with you on your hols.

My friends do not have children, looking to make two trips a year and rent out, they appreciate the rental income may be limited and are not dependent on it.

Bob Oct 18th 2011 8:50 pm

Buying isn't the problem....possibly not being resident in the country might have issues on the mortgage or on the home owners insurance though.

That and filing taxes might be a pain if you're renting it out.

silicon valley girl Oct 19th 2011 3:56 am

Hsbc do mortgages for people with no SSN and no visa, however you have to be a Premier client, think thats £50k in the UK and its $100k to qualify here. From memory they lend approx 70% LTV too. I have a friend who works for them if you want more info?

Sancho_p Oct 19th 2011 8:44 am

You should not think that you will derive any immigration benefit or advantage from owning the property. In fact if the officer at the POE thinks you are trying to de facto live in the US and not just visit for holidays and refuses you entry that will cause all sorts of issues
First part definitely true. As for the second part while I agree with "more time out than in", we have never ever had problems with multiple entry, going to our place in the US. Once or twice the POE Officer has asked what the address on the card is and we answer quite truthfully that it's our condo and we're headed there for a holiday. That gets us waved through.

Bob Oct 19th 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sancho_p (Post 9683248)
First part definitely true. As for the second part while I agree with "more time out than in", we have never ever had problems with multiple entry, going to our place in the US. Once or twice the POE Officer has asked what the address on the card is and we answer quite truthfully that it's our condo and we're headed there for a holiday. That gets us waved through.

Aye, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Just because you haven't had problems, does not mean that other people haven't.

It's all down to personal circumstances, how old you are, where abouts you're heading, what the POE officer had for breakfast that morning etc etc.