Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying property in the US

Buying property in the US

Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

dale dalton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying property in the US

I am interesting in buying a property in the USA, in Ohio. But I am a little confused about what the process entails once I have found a property. I know I need a title company. I am also need to pay Title fees, recording fees, Real Property Transfer Tax and Insurance. But I am not to clear in which the order these steps occur and also how to prove that I have ownership of the property. I have tried searching online, but I am going round in circles, as a lot of guides tend to be rather bare and skip over things.

Anyone got any guidance or advice they can share. Thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property in the US

You might consider getting with a Real estate agent who will help find the property and handle the issues you describe. The fee for their service will be covered by splitting the sale fee with the listing agent. They will be very helpful in finding a property and advising on fair price.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dale dalton
I am interesting in buying a property in the USA, in Ohio. But I am a little confused about what the process entails once I have found a property. I know I need a title company. I am also need to pay Title fees, recording fees, Real Property Transfer Tax and Insurance. But I am not to clear in which the order these steps occur and also how to prove that I have ownership of the property. I have tried searching online, but I am going round in circles, as a lot of guides tend to be rather bare and skip over things.

Anyone got any guidance or advice they can share. Thanks!

Welcome to BE.

Are you a US citizen?, do you have a visa for the US? Houses are reasonably cheap in the US BUT property taxes etc may make owning one an expensive decision unless you can make use of it.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

Are you a US citizen?, do you have a visa for the US? Houses are reasonably cheap in the US BUT property taxes etc may make owning one an expensive decision unless you can make use of it.
I am a UK Citizen with no visas for the US. I plan to rent out the property and have taken account the taxes.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You might consider getting with a Real estate agent who will help find the property and handle the issues you describe. The fee for their service will be covered by splitting the sale fee with the listing agent. They will be very helpful in finding a property and advising on fair price.
I've already found a property and (provisionally) negotiated a price with the seller. So I was under the impression an agent wouldn't be of help, as they only want to sell their own properties.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a UK Citizen with no visas for the US. I plan to rent out the property and have taken account the taxes.

I've already found a property and (provisionally) negotiated a price with the seller. So I was under the impression an agent wouldn't be of help, as they only want to sell their own properties.
This is referred to as for sale by owner. In a typical real estate transaction the buyer has a realtor and the seller has a realtor. Each take a commission from the sale price.

In FSBO it will be likely that they don't want to pay a buyer's agent (realtor). In that case you may find it beneficial to. Someone is going to need to order appraisals, general inspections, termite inspections, radon inspections. Etc etc.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule agents don’t own properties. I recently sold a house in Tenn and everyone who came to look was with their agent. We had six people all with different agents look, three offers in 48 hrs and sold within 72 hours of listing. The listing agent represents my interest the other agents all from different realtor companies represented their prospective buyer at no cost to them.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:24 am
Just Joined

@ddsrph thanks!

Originally Posted by tom169
This is referred to as for sale by owner. In a typical real estate transaction the buyer has a realtor and the seller has a realtor. Each take a commission from the sale price.

In FSBO it will be likely that they don't want to pay a buyer's agent (realtor). In that case you may find it beneficial to. Someone is going to need to order appraisals, general inspections, termite inspections, radon inspections. Etc etc.
Is there a list of things I need to check, so if I hire a realtor, I can make sure they are doing everything. Thanks!
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

@ddsrph thanks!

Is there a list of things I need to check, so if I hire a realtor, I can make sure they are doing everything. Thanks!
From the questions you asked in your original post, and this latest response, you undoubtedly need someone acting on your behalf. Are you sure you know what you are taking on? Having a rental property that far away from you is not something I would ever do.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
From the questions you asked in your original post, and this latest response, you undoubtedly need someone acting on your behalf. Are you sure you know what you are taking on? Having a rental property that far away from you is not something I would ever do.
My thoughts exactly. Unless he has plans to move here the risk far out weighs any potential benefit. Many renters are deadbeats and would like nothing more than to have a landlord 3000 miles away.

To OP
The main things to make sure happens:
Does the seller own the property without liens. This requires a title search and title insurance.
Condition of the property. A personal inspection and possibly a professional inspection to include termites and Radon.
The rest is basic paperwork that any lawyer or real estate agent can handle.
Before you spend any money for the above the first step is a signed acceptance of offer with stipulations to make it invalid if they are not met. A realtor has forms for this that they use everyday.

Last edited by ddsrph; Sep 5th 2018 at 12:00 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When we bought our home in Mississippi, our real estate attorney handled all of that. They contracted for the title search, transfer, hired with our approval the house inspector, and all the fees were paid for at the closing. Since you are not taking a mortgage, sounds like you have a great need of a real estate attorney.

Frankly, the last thing I would do with my money is invest it in property in a country I have no rights to live in. Nor would I rent from an owner who lives outside of the US unless they have a very good leasing agent who will oversee the property in their stead.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You need a real estate attorney -- they handle closings on property purchases in the US and will be able to advise you on all the steps. How are you going to manage your property? Don't forget to factor in the cost of a management agent, yard maintenance, any local assessments (water? sewer? snow removal?) in addition to the property taxes. This is not going to be easy at long distance, in a jurisdiction with which you have no familiarity -- do you really think it is worth it?
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way but for all we know, the OP could be planning on buying an apartment complex and will have an onsite manager and handyman to oversee the property. Wonder if it is in Florida's Orlando.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I feel the same way but for all we know, the OP could be planning on buying an apartment complex and will have an onsite manager and handyman to oversee the property. Wonder if it is in Florida's Orlando.
He said Ohio, which seems a little weird to start with! There must be more to the story . . .
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Houses are reasonably cheap in the US

Houses are "reasonably cheap" in some parts of the US.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Real Estate Attorney, I used one when I bought without using a Realtor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.