Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying Property in Texas, USA

Buying Property in Texas, USA

Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Property in Texas, USA

Originally Posted by snowbunny
but just don't get uppity with the sheriffs. Or a security guard for that matter.
Or anyone else with a bl**dy great cannon strapped to his hip!!

"Sir" fits about right!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:51 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ps - a couple of things I wish people had told me before we bought here...

1) check out your property taxes - they can be huge (we're at 4% of property value.....)

2) If you're going into a so-called Master Planned Community (which I assume Sienna Plantations is?) , check out the Home Owners Association dues and deed restrictions - not that you're going to be able to change them, but at least you know what you're getting into. for instance, we may not have bought where we are if I'd known I had to apply in triplicate for permission to fart in my own back garden......

3) theres no 'local searches' as such, so do as much research as you can on what is happening locally development-wise.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:40 am
Just Joined

TedCash will become famous soon enoughTedCash will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ps - a couple of things I wish people had told me before we bought here...

1) check out your property taxes - they can be huge (we're at 4% of property value.....)

2) If you're going into a so-called Master Planned Community (which I assume Sienna Plantations is?) , check out the Home Owners Association dues and deed restrictions - not that you're going to be able to change them, but at least you know what you're getting into. for instance, we may not have bought where we are if I'd known I had to apply in triplicate for permission to fart in my own back garden......

3) theres no 'local searches' as such, so do as much research as you can on what is happening locally development-wise.

A Big Thank You to everyone, I have got loads of tips from this forum, things are beginning to move smoothly again, will keep you all posted and hopefully have good news to share with you all soon.

Cheers,
TedCash
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:59 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
If you won the greencard lottery, then I'm assuming your from northern Ireland.
Or their parents were. All they'd have to do is enter Northern Ireland as the Native country and they can enter. Same if the parents were from another eligible country.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rincewind
Or their parents were. All they'd have to do is enter Northern Ireland as the Native country and they can enter. Same if the parents were from another eligible country.

I was eligible for the Green card lottery because I was born abroad, as my Dad was an English Expat (1950 - 1975)

Cheers
Tedcash
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:22 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TedCash
I was eligible for the Green card lottery because I was born abroad, as my Dad was an English Expat (1950 - 1975)

Cheers
Tedcash
Ah. You confessed too soon

Some of us love a mystery. This could have gone on for days

Congrats and shame you didn't pick Georgia. The weather here is great. No real bad weather to worry about.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:35 pm

By the way, have you noticed how the locals pronounce it? Misery City, rather than what I guess most Brits would stab at - Mizoori? Is that how they pronounce the state as well? Or is it a reflection on the place?

Ps - not having a dig, cos never been to the city or the state, and the Sienna Plantation website certainly looks very nice!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:32 pm
Banned

Tygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond reputeTygre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
By the way, have you noticed how the locals pronounce it? Misery City, rather than what I guess most Brits would stab at - Mizoori? Is that how they pronounce the state as well? Or is it a reflection on the place?

Ps - not having a dig, cos never been to the city or the state, and the Sienna Plantation website certainly looks very nice!
I live in Texas, but haven't spent much time in Houston except in the airport, so I've never really heard of Missouri City.

As far as the state goes, I've always heard it pronounced the second way, but apparently Missourians say "Mizooruh". Go figure.

Last edited by Tygre; Mar 15th 2005 at 2:35 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:20 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

As Greencard Lottery winners we are emigrating to Texas (from UK) within the next 4 months.
Just curious- I thought that England was not eligible for the diversity lottery??
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:23 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just curious- I thought that England was not eligible for the diversity lottery??
He can enter if he was orginally born in an eligible country or if his parents were born in an eligible country.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

He can enter if he was orginally born in an eligible country or if his parents were born in an eligible country.
or spouse.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:47 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by fatbrit
or spouse.
Indeedy.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Indeedy.

Best visa money can't buy!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Best visa money can't buy!

I concur.
It took almost ten years of trying to finally win.

regards
TedCash
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

As Greencard Lottery winners we are emigrating to Texas (from UK) within the next 4 months.

We are in the process of buying a newly built home, but we are having
difficulty finding a suitable mortgage - as we need to start afresh with
US credit rating etc.

A bit of research on this forum had forum members - redlobster, Pulaski and Fatbrit talk about mortgages for new emigrants.

We have 20% - 25% of the down payment for the total mortgage of the
property we want to buy.

What do forum members think will be the best mortgage for us?

(1) Stated income?
(2) No documentation?

If anyone has first hand experience or recommendations of any tried & tested
mortgage brokers please point us in the right direction

Regards,

TedCash

PS. I've re-posted the above help request, I earlier posted under the "US immigration" section but was advised by Bob that I'll "probably get more help posting in the US lifestyle section of the forum"

figure out what is the cheapest mtg and go with that......I am sure a stated income would be cheaper than no documentation by a LOT ....how hard is it to figure out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.