Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Florida

Buying a property in Florida

Old Mar 14th 2004, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Bagnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a property in Florida

We are investigating buying property in Florida, possibly for letting. Can anyone give advice on the best areas, whether to buy an apartment or villa, or to buy off plan or not. Costs of letting, ie management fees etc. Would appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 3:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Florida

Originally posted by Bagnut
We are investigating buying property in Florida, possibly for letting. Can anyone give advice on the best areas, whether to buy an apartment or villa, or to buy off plan or not. Costs of letting, ie management fees etc. Would appreciate any advice.
The best area is the one you like!
Apartment or villa..what do you prefer!
buy off plan or not! No idea what you are talking about.
Costs of letting, ie management fees etc! Depends on all the others..
Suggest you do your investigating out here..Or be more specific in you questions..
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

I apologise for not being more specific!!
By the best areas I mean the Gulf coast (for golf enthusiasts ) or near Disney (for theme park lovers).
Would an apartment or a villa be better for letting? On a gated community or not?
For those who don't know, buying off plan is where you purchase before construction has begun. You put down a % of the price, and on completion you pay the remainder.
I was hoping that there was maybe someone that could give advice, having gone thru the process themselves.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise for not being more specific!!
By the best areas I mean the Gulf coast (for golf enthusiasts ) or near Disney (for theme park lovers).
Would an apartment or a villa be better for letting? On a gated community or not?
For those who don't know, buying off plan is where you purchase before construction has begun. You put down a % of the price, and on completion you pay the remainder.
I was hoping that there was maybe someone that could give advice, having gone thru the process themselves.
If you are intending to rent it out the first thing to check is whether the local county allows short term rental..
In my personal opinion the Disney area have over capacity of rental homes now... some people still do well but many other are struggling..
Apartments, condo, can have many restriction..check that one carefully.. gated community annual Home Owner association can have serious restriction but can also have very high annual fees
I pay (non gated) $130 a year... gated can be anything..I know one that is $3000 a year.. Management fees can vary wildly $200- $600 a month depending on your needs.. Off plan as you call it..is fairly common you normally pay in stages as the property is built...but bear in mind "EXTRAS" A house you buy for say $200k is never that at completion...there are inpact fees, landscaping, taxes and all sorts of other things seem to come up as extras, likewise any additions or changes you make to the plan costs big..
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was a similar thread a month or so ago, which you might want to search for. My recollection was that many replies said that if you were looking at it as an investment, think twice. If you've got loads of dosh and want a holiday home that will make some money to help with the mortgage go ahead. But there is a glut of such housing, scarcity of renters, high expenses (pool, air conditioning, etc.), etc., etc.

[That's just my recollection of the last time this was addressed]

Good luck finding it!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by dunroving
I think there was a similar thread a month or so ago, which you might want to search for. My recollection was that many replies said that if you were looking at it as an investment, think twice. If you've got loads of dosh and want a holiday home that will make some money to help with the mortgage go ahead. But there is a glut of such housing, scarcity of renters, high expenses (pool, air conditioning, etc.), etc., etc.

[That's just my recollection of the last time this was addressed]

Good luck finding it!
Thanks ray6 and dunroving for info.
I have searched for previous thread on this subject but can't find it. Can anyone help.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:51 pm
JeanDupont

Everything you need to know may be found here:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/

Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ray6 and dunroving for info.
I have searched for previous thread on this subject but can't find it. Can anyone help.
I'm bamboozled. I just searched using words and terms I'm sure were in the posts (rental, property, Florida, pool), and it didn't come up. I've had that happen before (i.e., for some reason a thread I know existed doesn't come up from a search I'm sure should produce it). Either the search engine doesn't work in the way I think it does or I'm losing my faculties... sorry, I tried.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:30 pm
Ping-ponger

Default Bingo!!!!!

Try these three (search: Orlando) - I have NO idea why the other searches didn't pull these up (they all contain the keyword Florida), but there you go...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=Orlando

Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:39 pm
Ray

Default Re: Bingo!!!!!

Bagnut.. I have sent you a PM