Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying property before visa given

Buying property before visa given

Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying property before visa given

Hi, all..
Just wanted to hear of anyone's experiences of buying a house before the visa process is even finished.
Is it to risky? I've just learned you need a Ssn but due to not having one you have to apply for a tax number, has anyone done this and or just put your husband or wife's name on the deeds and changed it on a later date...
Anyone see problems with this or risks, or can a contract be made between both parties that's law binding . . If anything happens...... Any help would be appreciated...
Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Buying property before visa given

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. What if you don't get the visa? Or if you get put into AP for ages? Then you have a house in the USA that you can't occupy yet. Well, the USC can, obviously...

The USC should have a SSN, but if they haven't lived or worked in the USA for a long time, credit history will be a problem. Are you thinking of paying all cash?

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rene,
Yes was going to pay cash, I would be fronting the majority of it, and she would pay around 20,000.
My wife is a citizen and lived and worked in the U. S all her life. She has the ssn number I do not...
Could we however go into a contract that is binding over the house, if I wasn't on the deed?????
As I do not have this tax number to use to allow me to go on the deeds at this time... Regards...
Old Jul 29th 2018, 8:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tkd67
Hi, all..
Just wanted to hear of anyone's experiences of buying a house before the visa process is even finished.
Is it to risky? I've just learned you need a Ssn but due to not having one you have to apply for a tax number, has anyone done this and or just put your husband or wife's name on the deeds and changed it on a later date...
Anyone see problems with this or risks, or can a contract be made between both parties that's law binding . . If anything happens...... Any help would be appreciated...
You don't need a visa to buy property, just money. If your question is really about getting a mortgage, my experience is that my USC wife got the loan in her name back in the day. After the divorce, I got my own mortgage, by which time I had a credit history and PR. In Florida at least, both spouses are on the deeds regardless of who has the loan.

edit- So you are paying cash. I don't think lack of SSN is an issue. Only lack of certainty on the visa front is a concern. Is there a reason your marriage based visa might not be granted?

Last edited by RICH; Jul 29th 2018 at 9:10 am. Reason: saw additional posts
Old Jul 29th 2018, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

We don't need a mortgage as we're paying cash, but I've since learned I need a itin number from there tax office as I yet do not have a ssn .. I can apply for this after purchase, but my one question is, would a contract written up for my usc wife and myself be enough and legally binding in the even of something going wrong with us both...
We are rock solid but it would be for piece of mind...
The reason buying now is the fact we would be saving at least $6000 in the time I get my visa as we or she wouldn't be paying rent...
Hope that all makes sense....
Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why you need a ITIN number, but I understand it is quite easy to apply for one. ITIN and SSN should not be in the equation of buying a house for cash, only if applying for a loan.

Maybe the county/city needs it for tax collection? but your wifes ssn should suffice.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Yes the wife would need her ssn to go ahead with the purchase, but because I didn't know about the Itin, only she will be on the deeds... Until I can get my number ... Any idea ??? On what tax form I need ?? Regards...
Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:59 am
BE Irregular

I am no expert but ! am fairly sure

1 You don,t need a visa or ssn or itin to buy a house with cash
2 the deed will be recorded with both spouse listed
3 Taxes are levied on the property /owner (ie both are liable)

It sounds like you are doubting the loyalty of your spouse?
Old Jul 29th 2018, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Well when I looked it up it said foreigners can buy property its allowed you just need that tax number if you don't presently have a ssn. The form to apply is called ws-7.....
No not at all, trust is 110% I'm just a worrier lol
Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property before visa given

I thought the law had been changed that an ITIN is only given at the time of filing your first federal income tax. Double check as the law changes constantly.

As for buying property outright, personally, I think that is foolish. Money can be making money for you when it is invested. A mortgage will provide you with interest deductions on your income taxes while your money is accumulating interest. Consult with a financial advisor before you do this.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well when I looked it up it said foreigners can buy property its allowed you just need that tax number if you don't presently have a ssn. The form to apply is called ws-7.....
No not at all, trust is 110% I'm just a worrier lol
To my knowledge, you can't even GET an ITIN number until you file your first US tax return, and that's only if you can't get a SSN, which you will during your first 2 weeks in the USA after you arrive on your visa.

Since you want to pay with cash, there won't be a mortgage, no loans, so no SSN needed from you.

If, for some reason, it ends up that the deed only goes into your wife's name, she can very easily add you to the deed after you arrive in the USA and have your SSN (if indeed that is needed, but doubtful). I owned my own home before my foreign husband came to the USA, and I added his name to the deed after his arrival.

You might also want to look into whether owning property in the USA does anything to your UK taxes.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

The only thing I do know is that she added me to her tax returns due to being married as it had to be declared??????
​​​​​​I'll have to delve deeper.... Thank you....
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:23 pm

The only thing I do know is that she added me to her tax returns due to being married as it had to be declared??????
​​​​​​I'll have to delve deeper.... Thank you....
It depends. The only requirement is that she file her US tax return in the "married" category. That could be "married filing jointly" (in which case you'd need either a SSN or ITIN number, neither of which it seems you have, and you would have had to sign the tax return), or "married filing separately" (in which case she doesn't need anything from you).

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Risky to buy a property without the ability to live there. Also concerning wording from a married person talking about separate finances (him paying some and her paying some).
Old Jul 29th 2018, 5:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, all..
We purchased our house in Oregon July 2005, I didn't apply for my visa until July 2006. My wife did everything as the USC and the house was in her sole name. When we got here in November 2006 we put the house in both our names. Appreciate that was sometime ago now, but we had no problems doing that and certainly it was a good choice to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.