Reload this Page >

Buying property back in UK - mortgage question

Buying property back in UK - mortgage question

Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

ajg2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying property back in UK - mortgage question

Hello all,

I am a permanent resident living and working in the US. My parents still live back in the UK and I want to buy their flat for them so they would continue to live in it without worry. Does anyone have experience with obtaining a mortgage from abroad ? I was told that I would need to do it with a bank in the UK and it seems like several (natwest, Barclays etc) do this through their offshore versions.

Thanks for any pointers!
Andrew
Old Dec 20th 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

lifo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying property back in UK - mortgage question

I'd suggest consulting a mortgage broker like London & Country.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Are you intending to move back at all?
Usually an expat mortgage works on the basis that your time abroad is a secondment and your employer will confirm your return date.
Buy to let are not usually possible unless you already have a UK property (and then not for rental to family members)
What price and loan to value are you looking at?

So broker is your first port of call to go through your situation.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

You do however face US income tax on future gains plus US income tax on future foreign currency gains on the mortgage. A US dollar denominated mortgage would eliminate the latter.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
You do however face US income tax on future gains ....
Gains on what? .... The value of the flat? .... That would be capital gains tax not income tax.
.... plus US income tax on future foreign currency gains on the mortgage. …
I think a gain on a mortgage is theoretically possible (GBP declines against the USD so reducing your liability, but such losses or gains are calculated on disposal, so unless you pay off the mortgage early there would be no taxable "event"), but how would you calculate it, .... and how would the IRS recognize it, because I have never heard of anyone being taxed on the gain on a mortgage.
.... A US dollar denominated mortgage would eliminate the latter.
You are correct, but I suspect that such a product doesn't exist in the UK, or at least not without such fees and charges that make the product unattractive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 29th 2013 at 12:31 am.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You do however face US income tax on future gains plus US income tax on future foreign currency gains on the mortgage. A US dollar denominated mortgage would eliminate the latter.
You don't produce gains on a mortgage since that is a debt and not an asset. When mortgage payments are made, the interest needs to be converted to dollars to use as a deduction but an early payoff is just repayment of a debt.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
You don't produce gains on a mortgage since that is a debt and not an asset. When mortgage payments are made, the interest needs to be converted to dollars to use as a deduction but an early payoff is just repayment of a debt.
But suppose that due to FX movements that what would have been a payoff of $50k (based on the FX rate at the time the mortgage started), only required $47k, isn't that $3k every bit at much a gain as a short-sale mortgage forgiveness of the same amount, which is taxed?
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But suppose that due to FX movements that what would have been a payoff of $50k (based on the FX rate at the time the mortgage started), only required $47k, isn't that $3k every bit at much a gain as a short-sale mortgage forgiveness of the same amount, which is taxed?
But that gain would be included in the gain of the asset sale whether a home or a security. I suppose if you didn't sell the asset, you could report that gain as taxable but then you'd have to subtract that gain from the asset gain when sold and that would likely just confuse the IRS.

Also if you refinanced and later had a loss on the mortgage due to currency fluctuations, I don't think the IRS would be too happy if you reported that loss.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Michael
But that gain would be included in the gain of the asset sale whether a home or a security. I suppose if you didn't sell the asset, you could report that gain as taxable but then you'd have to subtract that gain from the asset gain when sold and that would likely just confuse the IRS.

Also if you refinanced and later had a loss on the mortgage due to currency fluctuations, I don't think the IRS would be too happy if you reported that loss.
All told, I agree. It is a theoretical possibility, but I have never heard of anyone trying to calculate gains and losses on the financing independent from the underlying asset.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Here is nicely written explanation of US tax rules on repaying foreign currency mortgages (found by googling for Revenue Ruling 90-79):

http://www.expatwomen.com/expat-wome...h-the-risk.php

One cannot deduct a loss at all, as losses on such transactions are disallowed as non-business losses under Internal Revenue Code § 165(c)

Incidentally, Pulaski, the United States does not have a capital gains tax. Capital gains are charged to income tax, although sometimes at different rates.

Last edited by Cook_County; Dec 29th 2013 at 7:36 am.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:50 pm

.....Incidentally, Pulaski, the United States does not have a capital gains tax. Capital gains are charged to income tax, although sometimes at different rates.
Yeah, we've had that discussion before. ...... Capital gains are taxed, and the tax is "income tax", but taxed at a substantially lower rate than most other income.