British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-property-316124/)

Singlemom Jul 26th 2005 11:33 am

buying property

Hi there..

just jumping over from the ME forum..thinking of moving there someday although I am a US citizen I've never felt the need to..
anyway, can someone help me find info on how to buy a house in the US? from prices to procedures/buying from overseas etc...

anybody wanna come to Dubai?? ;)

Thank you!!

Ray Jul 26th 2005 12:20 pm

Re: buying property

Originally Posted by Singlemom
Hi there..

just jumping over from the ME forum..thinking of moving there someday although I am a US citizen I've never felt the need to..
anyway, can someone help me find info on how to buy a house in the US? from prices to procedures/buying from overseas etc...
anybody wanna come to Dubai?? ;)
Thank you!!

Decide a State
Pick a house at www.realtor.com
mention it on here
await the dozen realtors to contact you
as a buyers agent just to help you ....

USBound Jul 26th 2005 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Decide a State
Pick a house at www.realtor.com
mention it on here
await the dozen realtors to contact you
as a buyers agent just to help you ....

you forgot - get your chequebook out.

fatbrit Jul 26th 2005 4:25 pm

Hope you've been filing your taxes to Uncle Sam every year? Otherwise a nice lump of equity in US real estate will give him something to claim the back taxes and associated fines through!

Bob Jul 27th 2005 3:13 am

US credit history up to scratch as well?

Ozzidoc Jul 27th 2005 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Bob
US credit history up to scratch as well?

This is not necessarily a big issue. Make sure you have 10% deposit min, preferably 20%.

OH (UKC: HB1 or whatever visa) got a mortage after being in the USA for 4 months. Mind you, the interest rate is a bit cr*p, but no worse than in the UK. We also have a lock in period for 3 yrs, tho at the moment it appears that we might be able to get around that by re-morgaging with the same company.

The biggest problem we had was in the 2 weeks before closing, our closing costs kept rising - they eventually doubled from what was first forecast. Not a huge issue, as we had the money....but only just!! It couldve all gone tits up.

Singlemom Jul 27th 2005 12:25 pm

Thank you!!!

I guess all is in order...no credit history; no taxes to be paid...just need to start saving!!

krizzy Jul 27th 2005 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is not necessarily a big issue. Make sure you have 10% deposit min, preferably 20%.

OH (UKC: HB1 or whatever visa) got a mortage after being in the USA for 4 months. Mind you, the interest rate is a bit cr*p, but no worse than in the UK. We also have a lock in period for 3 yrs, tho at the moment it appears that we might be able to get around that by re-morgaging with the same company.

The biggest problem we had was in the 2 weeks before closing, our closing costs kept rising - they eventually doubled from what was first forecast. Not a huge issue, as we had the money....but only just!! It couldve all gone tits up.

On an H1B.....we got our home loan in I think it was 5 days after landing....the same rate as everyone else at the time.....ours is now down to 4%.......