Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying property

Wikiposts

buying property

Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light
Default buying property

Hi there..

just jumping over from the ME forum..thinking of moving there someday although I am a US citizen I've never felt the need to..
anyway, can someone help me find info on how to buy a house in the US? from prices to procedures/buying from overseas etc...

anybody wanna come to Dubai??

Thank you!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying property

Originally Posted by Singlemom
Hi there..

just jumping over from the ME forum..thinking of moving there someday although I am a US citizen I've never felt the need to..
anyway, can someone help me find info on how to buy a house in the US? from prices to procedures/buying from overseas etc...
anybody wanna come to Dubai??
Thank you!!
Decide a State
Pick a house at www.realtor.com
mention it on here
await the dozen realtors to contact you
as a buyers agent just to help you ....
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Decide a State
Pick a house at www.realtor.com
mention it on here
await the dozen realtors to contact you
as a buyers agent just to help you ....

you forgot - get your chequebook out.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you've been filing your taxes to Uncle Sam every year? Otherwise a nice lump of equity in US real estate will give him something to claim the back taxes and associated fines through!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

US credit history up to scratch as well?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
US credit history up to scratch as well?
This is not necessarily a big issue. Make sure you have 10% deposit min, preferably 20%.

OH (UKC: HB1 or whatever visa) got a mortage after being in the USA for 4 months. Mind you, the interest rate is a bit cr*p, but no worse than in the UK. We also have a lock in period for 3 yrs, tho at the moment it appears that we might be able to get around that by re-morgaging with the same company.

The biggest problem we had was in the 2 weeks before closing, our closing costs kept rising - they eventually doubled from what was first forecast. Not a huge issue, as we had the money....but only just!! It couldve all gone tits up.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you!!!

I guess all is in order...no credit history; no taxes to be paid...just need to start saving!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:35 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is not necessarily a big issue. Make sure you have 10% deposit min, preferably 20%.

OH (UKC: HB1 or whatever visa) got a mortage after being in the USA for 4 months. Mind you, the interest rate is a bit cr*p, but no worse than in the UK. We also have a lock in period for 3 yrs, tho at the moment it appears that we might be able to get around that by re-morgaging with the same company.

The biggest problem we had was in the 2 weeks before closing, our closing costs kept rising - they eventually doubled from what was first forecast. Not a huge issue, as we had the money....but only just!! It couldve all gone tits up.
On an H1B.....we got our home loan in I think it was 5 days after landing....the same rate as everyone else at the time.....ours is now down to 4%.......