British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying new power cables (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-new-power-cables-819631/)

tipex Jan 2nd 2014 11:10 am

Re: Buying new power cables

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11054680)
I've bought and wired my own plugs in the US too. Piece of piss. Sometimes I like to do it while stood in a bucket of water for extra spice.

:lol: haha

Nutek Jan 2nd 2014 2:40 pm

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ilvin/Pool.jpg

tipex Jan 2nd 2014 2:51 pm

:eek: wow better you than me.

Markie Jan 2nd 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11059795)

I REALLY hope that was a GFCI-protected circuit! Or just a staged photo. Otherwise, a couple people could be winning the Darwin Award :(

Nutek Jan 2nd 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11060102)
I REALLY hope that was a GFCI-protected circuit! Or just a staged photo. Otherwise, a couple people could be winning the Darwin Award :(

I'm assuming it's fake, but it makes me laugh either way. :)

Markie Jan 2nd 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11060106)
I'm assuming it's fake, but it makes me laugh either way. :)

Indeed! I trust GFCI's more than the UK government does (yay for not being able to use a hairdryer in the bathroom :ohmy: ), but not quite enough to try THAT.

steveq Jan 2nd 2014 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11060102)

They wouldn't be in any danger. Clean Water is pretty insulating. If they got out there might be enough conductance to be a hazard...

steveq Jan 2nd 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11060108)
Indeed! I trust GFCI's more than the UK government does (yay for not being able to use a hairdryer in the bathroom :ohmy: ), but not quite enough to try THAT.

You CAN use a conventional socket in a bathroom. It just needs to be a bathroom rather bigger than the convention in the UK.

mwdake Jan 2nd 2014 11:06 pm

It is not the water that conducts electricity but the stuff in it like salts etc or the salts on your skin.

I used to live in a city that if you took regular tap water and hooked up battery and lamp and placed the leads in the water it would not conduct and light the lamp.

Markie Jan 2nd 2014 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mwdake (Post 11060538)
It is not the water that conducts electricity but the stuff in it like salts etc or the salts on your skin.

I used to live in a city that if you took regular tap water and hooked up battery and lamp and placed the leads in the water it would not conduct and light the lamp.

Correct, but salt water makes a great conductor, and we are talking a backyard pool with sweat, etc.

Regardless, NO ONE would call this a bright idea, so let's all just get a laugh from it and move on :)

As for a conventional socket in a UK bathroom - how? Every one I've ever seen is transformer-isolated low current. Which strikes me as stupid, to be honest - it's no safer than a GFCI yet is very limiting in usefulness. But UK electrical code is very strict - you can't even have a light switch in a bathroom. It has to either be in the ceiling on a pull cord or outside the bathroom where your little cousins turn it on and off while you're in the shower (okay, that probably just happens to me).

Steerpike Jan 3rd 2014 3:02 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11054722)
You probably want to avoid these :eek:

I had not realized that the insanity surrounding ridiculously over priced audio and video cables had also been seen as a "marketing opportunity" for power cords ... :ohmy:

But look at the important features you get - you should not run a power cable without all these features :)
  1. Solid Perfect Surface Copper Plus conductors
    Reduce strand interaction distortion for clear signal transfer.
  2. Noise dissipation system
    Helps reduce the amount of RF and EMI noise on the shield.
  3. 72V DBS
    Minimizes insulation material interaction for reduced distortion
Unbelievable!

lizzyq Jan 3rd 2014 6:17 am

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11060551)
As for a conventional socket in a UK bathroom - how?

....by being more than three metres from the safety protection zones around the sink, shower and tub. Like I said though, how many UK bathrooms are big enough?

Every one I've ever seen is transformer-isolated low current. Which strikes me as stupid, to be honest - it's no safer than a GFCI yet is very limiting in usefulness.
It's safer, because it isolates you from earth, so it's better than a gfci which would still pass many mA for a few milliseconds in the event of a fault.

There are arguments that the IEE has overegged the regs, particularly with pex plumbing rather changing the arguments.

Markie Jan 3rd 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 11060818)
....by being more than three metres from the safety protection zones around the sink, shower and tub. Like I said though, how many UK bathrooms are big enough?

It's safer, because it isolates you from earth, so it's better than a gfci which would still pass many mA for a few milliseconds in the event of a fault.

There are arguments that the IEE has overegged the regs, particularly with pex plumbing rather changing the arguments.

1. I didn't know that, I've sure never seen one. Never seen one in the US though either. A bathroom with any point three metres from the sink and shower/tub? Never seen one that big anywhere in my life.

2. Well, I think you mean it isolates you from the power source, isolation from the earth isn't exactly what's needed. But yeah, that's the argument. Reality is - GFCI's are very very safe and and transformer isolated sockets are very very safe. To get caught up in "well, is transformer isolation a wee bit safer?" The answer is - it may be, a tiny bit. But at the expense of massive inconvenience. No electricity at all would be far safer, but we pay the price for the convenience electricity brings us.

steveq Jan 3rd 2014 7:59 am

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11060847)
2. Well, I think you mean it isolates you from the power source, isolation from the earth isn't exactly what's needed.

Isolation from earth means that since the source floats, you can't get a shock from it to ground. You can still get a shock rail to rail, even with an isolating transformer - and a GFCI wouldn't save you from a shock either.

Sorry, that last post shouldn't have been from my wife ;-)

Markie Jan 3rd 2014 8:01 am

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11060885)
Isolation from earth means that since the source floats, you can't get a shock from it to ground. You can still get a shock rail to rail, even with an isolating transformer - and a GFCI wouldn't save you from a shock either.

Sorry, that last post shouldn't have been from my wife ;-)

Ah, it's late at night and I wasn't thinking clearly. And I thought that the point of an isolating transformer (the main safety benefit) was that it WOULD protect you from a severe rail to rail shock while a GFCI theoretically wouldn't always (I say theoretically, because the human body will basically always leak SOME current to earth, and it takes almost nothing to trip the GFCI).