Reload this Page >

Buying new power cables

Buying new power cables

Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Samiad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying new power cables

Hi,

Rather than take all my UK power cables (the mainstream ones like and ) and use loads of adapters I'm considering leaving all my UK cables behind and just buying a bulk load of US style cables.

Has anyone any good sources of these cables? Buying from a place that sells one at a time is probably going to be expensive, but if I could buy a bulk lot of 10 or 20 it would probably be workable. Has anyone else done this?
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:47 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying new power cables

Originally Posted by Samiad View Post
..... if I could buy a bulk lot of 10 or 20 it would probably be workable. Has anyone else done this?
Do you have that many appliances that will run on 110v/60Hz?

There is nothing to stop you chopping the plugs off and replacing them with US plugs that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

The first one you have is a NEMA 5 type and the second one is sometimes called a 2-ear.
They are the kind of things that if you buy from a local shop might cost $10-15 in fancy packaging but buy online for $1-2 each.

Look on eBay, Amazon or Google search.

Here is one outfit that will supply both...
http://www.ascendtech.us/lot-of-10-p...nvpclot10.aspx
Old Dec 29th 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Do NOT cut cables. It's dangerous and I don't think you can buy US- style plugs from anywhere! US plugs are usually molded at both ends and in 16 years, I've never seen one that has been screwed together!

You can get what you need from monoprice.com. I've ordered lots froom them (HDMI cables, mostly) and they have exactly what you need for reasonable prices.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:16 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
Do NOT cut cables. It's dangerous and I don't think you can buy US- style plugs from anywhere! US plugs are usually molded at both ends and in 16 years, I've never seen one that has been screwed together! .....
Not withstanding your exclamation mark, you are wrong. As per my above post, both Lowes and Home Depot sell replacement plugs (I know, I have bought some, from tiny two-pin ones for lights to giant four pin ones for cookers and dryers, and everything in between ), as do many other stores that sell electrical and wiring supplies. I have no doubt that they are not big sellers, and therefore "screwed on" plugs are not commonly seen, but wiring on a new plug is no more dangerous in the US than it is in the UK. (FWIW, tiny plugs for lights are made from soft plastic and pull apart and push together without use for screws to hold them together).

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 29th 2013 at 4:38 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Samiad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies - looks like Monoprice is exactly what I need (cheap and with bulk discounts)

Swapping the plug is a good suggestion (completely slipped my mind) but I think it'll be a pain to swap out 20+ cables when they're so cheap at Monoprice.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought and wired my own plugs in the US too. Piece of piss. Sometimes I like to do it while stood in a bucket of water for extra spice.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Ebay...
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the best source for HDMI cables is Amazon.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samiad View Post
Hi,

Rather than take all my UK power cables (the mainstream ones like http://www.cables2u.co.uk/images/pro...ower_cable.jpg and http://www.crazycables.co.uk/catalog...s/l_50.139.jpg) and use loads of adapters I'm considering leaving all my UK cables behind and just buying a bulk load of US style cables.

Has anyone any good sources of these cables? Buying from a place that sells one at a time is probably going to be expensive, but if I could buy a bulk lot of 10 or 20 it would probably be workable. Has anyone else done this?
Actually, the cable on the left will be quite inexpensive. That form factor goes back to the original IBM PC of 1981. They are so uniformly used that most people have spares around.

Also, the US is like the continent and does not have the fused plugs like the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
BTW, the best source for HDMI cables is Amazon.
Plus, they sell all the cables the OP wants as well. When I moved over, I just ordered 10x of each cable variety I needed. Cost me $30 maybe.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You probably want to avoid these

I had not realized that the insanity surrounding ridiculously over priced audio and video cables had also been seen as a "marketing opportunity" for power cords ...
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
You probably want to avoid these

I had not realized that the insanity surrounding ridiculously over priced audio and video cables had also been seen as a "marketing opportunity" for power cords ...
Audioquest are a fantastic brand, I own several of their HDMI cables. Worth every penny. http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioquest-pearl-hdmi
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
Audioquest are a fantastic brand, I own several of their HDMI cables. Worth every penny. http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioquest-pearl-hdmi
According to just about everyone that tests HDMI cables, expensive HDMI cables such as Monster are no better than cheap $2 HDMI cables with the same speed rating. I've been picking up $1.99 HDMI cables from Fry's for the past 8 years and never had a problem.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
£26 for an HDMI cable, while not cheap, is not an unreasonable price in either the UK or the US.

$1,099 for a 10' AC power cord is insane.

I don't doubt that it is a good quality power cable - it just isn't worth over $1,000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.