Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a mobile home...

Buying a mobile home...

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:09 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Default Buying a mobile home...

Hi All -

The wife and I are off to the USA in 3 weeks to buy a home.

We've been looking at mobile homes in NH and ME, and have been preapproved for a mortgage.. But I was hoping to get some of others experiences.

We're looking at mobiles on their own land - my wifes credit rating is super dooper good. But we've been told by one lender that they wont do a No-Doc mortgage on a mobile unless its on a slab, double wide, and built after 1976.

(Oh - we will also have to stand on one leg and fart the tune to 'God Bless America' before the mortgage is finalised. )

AAaanyways - I know different conditions may exist within different states - but I also know different lenders dance to thier own tune at times. So any insights would be handy -

Thank you ladies and gentlemen!

OOaaaaaarrrrrrr!...Now where's that chicken gone?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:18 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying a mobile home...

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Hi All -

The wife and I are off to the USA in 3 weeks to buy a home.

We've been looking at mobile homes in NH and ME, and have been preapproved for a mortgage.. But I was hoping to get some of others experiences.

We're looking at mobiles on their own land - my wifes credit rating is super dooper good. But we've been told by one lender that they wont do a No-Doc mortgage on a mobile unless its on a slab, double wide, and built after 1976.

(Oh - we will also have to stand on one leg and fart the tune to 'God Bless America' before the mortgage is finalised. )

AAaanyways - I know different conditions may exist within different states - but I also know different lenders dance to thier own tune at times. So any insights would be handy -

Thank you ladies and gentlemen!

OOaaaaaarrrrrrr!...Now where's that chicken gone?
Ummm...why exactly are you looking at mobile homes....?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Ummm...why exactly are you looking at mobile homes....?
Mobile homes are no fun unless you get one in one of the tornado states.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:23 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mobile homes are no fun unless you get one in one of the tornado states.
Exactly...they're sooo dangerous...and not the greatest reputation, if you know what I mean...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Exactly...they're sooo dangerous...and not the greatest reputation, if you know what I mean...
I don't even know why they're allowed in the places that get extreme weather. There's usually a pretty severe loss of life in the mobile home parks when a hurricane or tornado arrives.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly think again. The question already asked, is why a mobile?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a mobile home is more like buying a car than a house - not a good investment. Drops in price the minute you buy it.

I know some "manufactured homes" (is that the correct term? Maybe modular homes?) are more sellable and robust than true mobile homes (single-wides, etc.). I think it's also easier to get mortgages for them. Is this the kind of house you mean you are buying?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

Blimey, if you were still in the UK I'd call you a 'closet Gippo'!!
Do you plan to park loads of knackered old cars outside,along with old fridges and piles of garden debris?
Only joking,good luck to you.
Hope you get to find a good pitch.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:25 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you mean "Manufactured housing" on a slab and it's own land, it's not a mobile home. There actually are some very nice stick built (2x4 framing, just like standard homes) homes- up to 2 story 4 BR models w/ garage etc now. They are not all the wheeled trailer homes of old.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:36 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Hmm..funny you should say that - used to be a traveller. Long hair, dog on a string and all that - maybe its coming thru again.

Mobile homes in NH (there are some very nice ones - I'm not talking a crappy old caravan here) are about all we can afford right now .. Its a sellers market unfortunately.
The ones we've looked at arent mobile anymore - they've got extensions etc.
I know they have a bad rep. and no, we wont be moving into a trashy area.
Just fishing for knowledgeable types on the mortgage front really.

Barf!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The extra mortgage costs of a trailer can easily be offset by appearance fees on Jerry's show.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:26 pm
Gurning up a storm!

*sigh* - OK - so where's the trailer trash forum? Probably get more sense out of them right now........
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
*sigh* - OK - so where's the trailer trash forum? Probably get more sense out of them right now........
Sorry mate,only joking.No offence intended.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In New England....you'd freeze ya knackers off in a mobile home....
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

In Arizona....you'd fry ya tits in a mobile home...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.