Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When buying you don't pay anything to the agent...in the UK only the seller pays the estate agent/realtor.
That's the same as here though?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Plus how much to the agent?

I wonder if when you add it up and convert the currency...
1% to the agent - I would have to look up the total cost, but it would be nowhere near 6% of this house's value, by a very long chalk.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
That is weird. Definitely important to do your homework and to get a good one.
They are the same here. TBH I can't stand the mithering...I don't need a new BFF and I don't need another family.

True.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

When buying you don't pay anything to the agent...in the UK only the seller pays the estate agent/realtor.
If you did want a buyer's agent though, you would pay the cost yourself.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she meant buying.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are the same here. TBH I can't stand the mithering...I don't need a new BFF and I don't need another family.
Oh God that is so true about the BFF
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If you did want a buyer's agent though, you would pay the cost yourself.
Ah, in the UK you mean.

Is real estate a very low paying profession in the UK? It seems like it would be hard to earn much if your commission is 1%, particularly if the market was bad.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, in the UK you mean.
Yes. They are unusual but they do exist, at least on a TV programme
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, in the UK you mean.

Is real estate a very low paying profession in the UK? It seems like it would be hard to earn much if your commission is 1%, particularly if the market was bad.
I don't know...I don't think so, they're usually really flash.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh God that is so true about the BFF
It does my 'ead in.

I realise it's a cultural thing but generally I know what I want and I am capable of finding it myself. I hate all the mithering but perhaps what I hate even more is what they want to know about you. Mind your own bloody business.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know...I don't think so, they're usually really flash.
Interesting. Maybe the difference is the cost of the homes or maybe there's another component we're not thinking about ...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah, in the UK you mean.

Normally it is an extremely lucrative job to be in...I know from experience.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I realise it's a cultural thing but generally I know what I want and I am capable of finding it myself. I hate all the mithering but perhaps what I hate even more is what they want to know about you. Mind your own bloody business.
So you don't want to let them do their job then.

Sometimes, JG, I wonder if I were to run across you IRL if I would find my head bitten off for saying or doing the wrong thing unintentionally. Like calling you European.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Normally it is an extremely lucrative job to be in...I know from experience.
How are they earning a lot though? I'm missing a piece of the puzzle I'm sure ... how does 1% commission turn into a lot? Do they have a base salary somehow?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How are they earning a lot though? I'm missing a piece of the puzzle I'm sure ... how does 1% commission turn into a lot? Do they have a base salary somehow?
I don't know...and I don't particularly care Sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.