Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in USA - what are the costs?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Those I know who have gone without a realtor have almost always regretted it later. A buyers agent and a sellers agent doesn't mean you're doubling the costs, typically they split the comission (3% to buyers agent, 3% to sellers agent, all covered by the seller.)
That's a big cost to the seller, though.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's a big cost to the seller, though.
Yes, but in theory you should get a better offer with a realtor than you would going on your own. With the realtor comes the marketing of your home. They can help you position your home for the best price.

I'm just saying, I know people who have tried to sell their home on their own only to have it sit on the market for months (no publicity or know-how). In that case you definitely would be better off paying the commission.

On the flipside, I have a coworker who stuck a 'for sale by owner' sign in his yard only to be promptly stopped by someone driving by. He sold his home within minutes. That I suspect was rare.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in theory you should get a better offer with a realtor than you would going on your own. With the realtor comes the marketing of your home. They can help you position your home for the best price.

I'm just saying, I know people who have tried to sell their home on their own only to have it sit on the market for months (no publicity or know-how). In that case you definitely would be better off paying the commission.

On the flipside, I have a coworker who stuck a 'for sale by owner' sign in his yard only to be promptly stopped by someone driving by. He sold his home within minutes. That I suspect was rare.
I think it seems a lot to Brits because we pay around 1% to sell and don't have to pay for the buyer's agent.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think it seems a lot to Brits because we pay around 1% to sell and don't have to pay for the buyer's agent.
Out of curiosity, how do estate agents make a living at that? Do they do okay because the homes are generally more expensive? Are the services the same?

Unfortunately even the bare bones agents here make about 3%.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Out of curiosity, how do estate agents make a living at that? Do they do okay because the homes are generally more expensive? Are the services the same?

Unfortunately even the bare bones agents here make about 3%.
They don't handle the conveyancing so you need a solicitor (attorney) for that part. They usually get you to do your own showings, not all bad I think because the ones I've seen here are just obviously out for themselves when they show a property.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
I sold my flip in a matter of minutes, myself. But then, I'm in sales for a living.

My neighbor is driving me crazy with his for sale by owner scheme. He has lost the sale I can't even tell you how many times and the place has been on the market the better part of a year now.. we're in one of the hottest neighborhoods in town with an average 40 days on the market.
He's a moron and he's doin' it all wrong.
(and then bragging to me every week about how cheap his FSBO listing on the interwebs is, sigh)

He'd have made more money paying a commission months ago. Now he's been bleeding on this place AND he's going to have to take less. And spend more fixing it up.
omg, they could actually be living there *forever* at this rate!
I see big bamboo in my future...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

They don't handle the conveyancing so you need a solicitor (attorney) for that part. They usually get you to do your own showings, not all bad I think because the ones I've seen here are just obviously out for themselves when they show a property.
And how much does that cost?

AS before, generally if you've used a Realtor, you dont' need a RE attorney.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So at least part of the difference in cost comes from reduced service. Having to do your own showings ... hmmm ... I've never felt comfortable looking at homes when the owners are there. I did that a couple of times when we looked at homes that were for sale by owner and it was really weird.

I do think it's very important to get the right agent to make sure you're getting your money's worth. A friend of mine had a really bad experience recently because her realtor didn't formally adjust a contract and the seller turned out to be a lawyer who took advantage of the situation. Bad all around.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
And how much does that cost?

AS before, generally if you've used a Realtor, you dont' need a RE attorney.
The difference is obviously greater if you're buying in an expensive area here - I can't remember exactly but I think I paid less than £1,000 for the solicitor in my British sale.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:33 am

The difference is obviously greater if you're buying in an expensive area here - I can't remember exactly but I think I paid less than £1,000 for the solicitor in my British sale.
Plus how much to the agent?

I wonder if when you add it up and convert the currency...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

18ths ago I think I paid less than that...although there was no mortgage involved.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So at least part of the difference in cost comes from reduced service. Having to do your own showings ... hmmm ... I've never felt comfortable looking at homes when the owners are there. I did that a couple of times when we looked at homes that were for sale by owner and it was really weird.

I do think it's very important to get the right agent to make sure you're getting your money's worth. A friend of mine had a really bad experience recently because her realtor didn't formally adjust a contract and the seller turned out to be a lawyer who took advantage of the situation. Bad all around.
I know what you're saying but then again some of the realtors around here are just plain weird and extremely off-putting, I just wonder if the sellers realize they're paying for someone to insult the house to buyers, immediately say it's overpriced by $100,000 and/or spend the whole viewing on the phone discussing other matters.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

1% Sally said.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When buying you don't pay anything to the agent...in the UK only the seller pays the estate agent/realtor.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know what you're saying but then again some of the realtors around here are just plain weird and extremely off-putting, I just wonder if the sellers realize they're paying for someone to insult the house to buyers, immediately say it's overpriced by $100,000 and/or spend the whole viewing on the phone discussing other matters.
That is weird. Definitely important to do your homework and to get a good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.