Reload this Page >

Buying a house in the USA

Buying a house in the USA

Old May 30th 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying a house in the USA

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Also, in TN the insurance and property tax may be paid at the same time as the mortgage payment, but it should be stressed they are not "included," they are additional sums of money.
In IL, we have the option to pay property tax and insurance separately or 'escrow' them into the mortgage for a convenient single monthly payment.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davenay67
In IL, we have the option to pay property tax and insurance separately or 'escrow' them into the mortgage for a convenient single monthly payment.
In NJ if you have a mortgage the mortgage company is responsible for paying property taxes. The mortgage company then adds the amount onto your mortgage payments.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The mortgage company then adds the amount onto your mortgage payments.
That's what I was trying to get across! It gets added on!
Old May 30th 2012, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Colorado the Property Tax seems similar to that in the UK. However that is just the start.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tnzetasigep
The cost may not always be as expensive as you’ve represented. Homeowners insurance (as well as property tax) is included in the mortgage payment (in Tennessee anyway) and is small portion of your monthly payment. From the TN Comptroller of the Treasury:
Assume you have a house with an APPRAISED VALUE of $100,000. The ASSESSED VALUE is $25,000 (25% of $100,000), and the TAX RATE has been set by your county commission at $3.20 per hundred of assessed value. To figure the tax simply multiply the ASSESSED VALUE ($25,000)by the TAX RATE (3.20 per hundred dollars assessed).

$25,000 / 100 = 250 x $3.20 = $800.00 or ($25,000 x .03200 = $800.00)
for a tax bill of $800.00
http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/pa/pahtfytb.asp

Homeowners insurance is also inexpensive and covers everything except flood insurance (that is available depending on where you live). Covers medical payments if someone is injured on your property, covers fire, theft, acts of God…The main expense I’d worry about is the cost of upkeep which if you live in the UK you could be taken advantage of if you’re not careful.
That's awesome.

Couldn't buy a rotting shed at the end of a drive way for that kind of money over here though and that's well in the burbs.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This post just goes to show that "one size does not fit all." For a start, though $100,000 may get a very nice house in TN, it would get you a garage in CT. My homeowner's insurance has never been a part of a mortgage payment and is very definitely not inexpensive. And my property tax is astronomical. It is all down to what part of the country one lives in.

Also, in TN the insurance and property tax may be paid at the same time as the mortgage payment, but it should be stressed they are not "included," they are additional sums of money.
The appraised value here is generally what you paid for the house + 2% pa. This can be adjusted down if property values fall but will go back up to the previous point if they rise again.

Property tax is certainly not 'included in the mortgage' but may be paid from an escrow account by the mortgage company.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The appraised value here is generally what you paid for the house + 2% pa. This can be adjusted down if property values fall but will go back up to the previous point if they rise again.

Property tax is certainly not 'included in the mortgage' but may be paid from an escrow account by the mortgage company.
That's exactly how it is paid Sally. I was told it's to ensure property taxes are paid.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's exactly how it is paid Sally. I was told it's to ensure property taxes are paid.
I don't think you absolutely have to do it like that here, as we were looking at remortgaging with ING and you pay property tax and insurance separately with them.

The escrow account actually takes quite a generous amount over what is actually needed and holds it.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you absolutely have to do it like that here, as we were looking at remortgaging with ING and you pay property tax and insurance separately with them.

The escrow account actually takes quite a generous amount over what is actually needed and holds it.
I agree that it depends on the mortgage holder -- I've had to do it once, and haven't had to twice.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I agree that it depends on the mortgage holder -- I've had to do it once, and haven't had to twice.
I thought as far as NJ was concerned it was a state thing. Maybe some states stipulate this...maybe some mortgage companies do. As I said before I thought it was to ensure your property taxes are paid.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Chances are it's the mortgage companies as they probably don't like it if the county forcloses on you because you forgot to pay the property taxes. IIRC the property taxes are higher up in the food chain in that particular case.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my experience. Just got an escrow statement it details when and how much gets paid in and out, total at the bottom is $0 for the year.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not in my experience. Just got an escrow statement it details when and how much gets paid in and out, total at the bottom is $0 for the year.
My experience was the same as Sally. As I understand it the mortgage company is required to do this in NJ. Live everything else it probably differs from state to state.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We had to pay a years home insurance up front, and still pay the house insurance monthly. All the taxes, insurance etc, come off with the mortgage monthly, we weren't allowed the option to pay the taxes etc ourself, but I think that was the mortgage company's stipulation. Suits me, I know it's getting paid and it's one less bill to worry about I'm also hoping that our taxes will go down next year, if the appraisal that just got done is anything to go by, so fingers crossed for that one
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I got a healthy check back for last years escrow payments, and reduced payments for this year as the tax & insurance decreased, as the property value decreased. It evens out in the end. Also at the start I had to put 3/6 months in up front.

The escrow requirement is written in the mortgage, not sure if it is a lender or state requirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.