Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in the US

Buying a house in the US

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in the US

What happens in reality is they fix what ever they have a problem with, like grass length, by getting the grass cut, and then put a lien on your house, perhaps with a fine. The lien will have to be paid before you can sell. When I first heard about this I couldn't imagine it was legal, but you sign allowing them to do basically anything they want to fix an infringement when you close and sign on the dotted line. One of the 30 pages of cr@p you have to sign will be an agreement between you and the HOA. You cannot really get around it unless you want to back out. I find the whole thing very strange; that someone can come onto your property to fix and issue that the HOA has with your property. I do not have 1st hand experience of this, just anecdotal discussions with colleagues at work.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

You should also check out the on-line versions of any local newspapers you will probably find lists of recently sold houses together with the selling price.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 1:02 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rochdalediva
You should also check out the on-line versions of any local newspapers you will probably find lists of recently sold houses together with the selling price.
hey lookit, Lisa Stansfield everyone.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 6:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
hey lookit, Lisa Stansfield everyone.
Wondered where she'd got to. Saw her opening Blackpool Illuminations yonks ago. Boy, was she anorexic.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

bromleybill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well you might want to get a Realtor......

First caveat the details vary from state to state, with that being said and with my experiance being mainly Colorado:

Estate Agents = Realtors but they also do some of the work a Solicitor would do in the UK.

Sometimes it seems like everybody who I speak to knows one, has a friend/ relation who is one or was one at some point in their life.

They are licensed by a State Board and have to pass an exam, not sure how hard that can be.

Usually you have a Realtor for the Sellor and one for the Buyer. Both are paid from the proceeds of the sale, here it is just over 7%.

Most if not all States have a Mutiple Listing Service, MLS. Search under MLS and your State. This a data base with all Realtor properties on it, usually there will be some additional information only the Realtor can get.

Despite the high comission most sales have Realtors involved, there are SellByOwner and variants but I think well over 95% of the Houses we saw were with Realtors.

The Buyers realtors does all the hard work, they have to take you around, usually there are lock boxes on the doors and the people selling will vacate for an hour whilst you and your Agent look around.

I would suggest spending a couple of weekends first going around the open houses in the areas you are looking at.

The market where we are is flat, I also used the local County web site because I could find out what the local County appraiser had valued the houses at, not just the ones on the market but also in areas we were looking at but did not have the house we wanted on the market at the time.

I had a long chat with our local Appraise the other day, here they revalue every 2 years, legally they are required to be within 5% of the market value at the valuation date, they reckon on average to be within 1%. This is not a perfect measure but if someone wanted a lot more than tax I would be wondering why.

I had big arguements with our Realtor about this, she was more interested in Comparables, but in most cases my methodology worked out OK.

We met our Realtor at an Open House, we appointed her in the end for 2 reasons I think, she was not so pushy as many we had come across and she got on well with my wife!

I am arriving on my spouse visa at the end of November and staying for two months to check out places to live in Southern California (SE of LA). I have not ye sold my house in the UK due to the flat market.

My question is: Without credit history, is it impossible to get a mortgage in the US. And: will I face a massive tax bill from bringing in the entire assetts from the uk. I have been enticed to off-shore the bulk and enter the US with what seems less capital????????????
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:41 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleybill
I am arriving on my spouse visa at the end of November and staying for two months to check out places to live in Southern California (SE of LA). I have not ye sold my house in the UK due to the flat market.

My question is: Without credit history, is it impossible to get a mortgage in the US. And: will I face a massive tax bill from bringing in the entire assetts from the uk. I have been enticed to off-shore the bulk and enter the US with what seems less capital????????????
Are you waiting for your house in the UK to go UP more?!? If we still had our house in the UK we would be unloading it ASAP given that the "flat market" is more likely to be the start of a declining market.

You don't pay tax on income from property sale if it is less than $250,000. (see, for example
this link

I'm not a US tax expert, but I was under the impression that "offshoring" money is illegal in the US, as it is seen as tax evasion. Perhaps someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:56 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

So what happens if you do paint your house purple or have your car standing on bricks in your drive? Do you get evicted?
I went to our first HOA meeting last night, it was a right laugh, there a 5 members on the board that had worked out to keep our little division neat and tidy and it would cost us $250.00 a year x 80 houses
($20,000 a year), they wanted $1000 for this, and $375 for stationary for that.

They went on to spout how it would cost $4000 a year to mow a bit of grass at the entrance and plant a few shrubs.....anyways it turned into a near riot, 3 women almost got into fisty cuffs, one member stepped down, in tears vowing never to do it again, 4 people walked out and the Rowlett Libary manager had a spaz because everyone was still yelling and shouting 2 minutes after we all should of left the building.......Better than any soap opera I tell ya.

Bloody Yanks....

I can't wait for the next one!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I went to our first HOA meeting last night, it was a right laugh, there a 5 members on the board that had worked out to keep our little division neat and tidy and it would cost us $250.00 a year x 80 houses
($20,000 a year), they wanted $1000 for this, and $375 for stationary for that.

They went on to spout how it would cost $4000 a year to mow a bit of grass at the entrance and plant a few shrubs.....anyways it turned into a near riot, 3 women almost got into fisty cuffs, one member stepped down, in tears vowing never to do it again, 4 people walked out and the Rowlett Libary manager had a spaz because everyone was still yelling and shouting 2 minutes after we all should of left the building.......Better than any soap opera I tell ya.

Bloody Yanks....

I can't wait for the next one!
Yikes! We don't have an HOA in our community. There used to be one, apparently, but thankfully it was allowed to die out. Having read the HOA horror stories on the net (e.g. here) I really am thankful for that. It seems to be the preserve of litigation lawyers and retired busybodies who want to impose thier petty powers on their neighbours. What a nightmare!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Are you waiting for your house in the UK to go UP more?!? If we still had our house in the UK we would be unloading it ASAP given that the "flat market" is more likely to be the start of a declining market.

You don't pay tax on income from property sale if it is less than $250,000. (see, for example
this link

I'm not a US tax expert, but I was under the impression that "offshoring" money is illegal in the US, as it is seen as tax evasion. Perhaps someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong?
Well the person in question sounds like they are still in the UK and not subject to US Tax regiem anywaay so any gain on their principal residence would not be an issue.

How their house moves, how any house they are looking to buy moves and how exchamge rates move is an intangible. But if you can not afford the downside, move it now.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! We don't have an HOA in our community. There used to be one, apparently, but thankfully it was allowed to die out. Having read the HOA horror stories on the net (e.g. here) I really am thankful for that. It seems to be the preserve of litigation lawyers and retired busybodies who want to impose thier petty powers on their neighbours. What a nightmare!

You've got it..too many people with nothing else to do. Our HOA has started sending round monthly newsletters...the crime of this month is some people not replacing the bulbs in their outside lights quick enough and SOME people (the committee, better known as, the gestapo) have to walk their dogs in the dark for a few paces...its bloody hilarious, that took up a full page. And someone has had the audacity to paint their house PINK..OMG death at dawn for them. Can't wait for next months epistle.
Although its not as bad here as the last place we lived......yet. Our sub-division is still being developed so the Homeowners don't have full control yet until the builders have finished and hand it over.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

bromleybill is an unknown quantity at this point

this link

No, I'm not waiting for the price to go up. I'm caught in the time frame for taking up my residency visa which I got last week and the maximum six months I have to physically get there. I am worried about the stagnation in values which could turn downwards and maximising the dollar rate. However, the UK property is over £900,000, hence the concern over tax. If I knew what the liability was, I could prepare myself. Moreover, I am aware that until I am resident, I would not be liable. The fact that the assetts are jointly owned between my wife and I probably negates this option. :scared:

As regards off-shore, I need to know whether I can generate an income from externalised assets towards my retirement such as a trust.

If this does not work, then I'll have to declare myself an artist and live in Ireland tax free!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:10 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
You've got it..too many people with nothing else to do. Our HOA has started sending round monthly newsletters...the crime of this month is some people not replacing the bulbs in their outside lights quick enough and SOME people (the committee, better known as, the gestapo) have to walk their dogs in the dark for a few paces...
LOL

Sounds like we may have the same committee Taff!

We do have one major problem though. We had 2 builders in our division, the estate is sorta horse shoe shaped, only one way in and out, one builder had all the plots of land on the outside and the other had all the land in the middle.......anyways to cut it short, the first builder built a brick wall the whole width of our division to the tune of $30,000, about 6 months ago a drunk driver failed to see the stop sign and ploughed into the wall doing about 40mph....it was a hit and run, no person found, so no insurance just a bloody girt hole the exact shape of a car!.....anyhow this BLOODY wall has been hit 4 times since June, the builder won't pay up, only one person was caught so their insurance company will only pay for 1 hole's worth of damage, the person who has a backyard and a wall with 3 holes in it, won't pay for it, so the comittee asked everyone on Monday to chip in $100 per house

I don't think I've ever heard so many cuss words from so many OAP's in my life!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 1:55 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
LOL

Sounds like we may have the same committee Taff!

We do have one major problem though. We had 2 builders in our division, the estate is sorta horse shoe shaped, only one way in and out, one builder had all the plots of land on the outside and the other had all the land in the middle.......anyways to cut it short, the first builder built a brick wall the whole width of our division to the tune of $30,000, about 6 months ago a drunk driver failed to see the stop sign and ploughed into the wall doing about 40mph....it was a hit and run, no person found, so no insurance just a bloody girt hole the exact shape of a car!.....anyhow this BLOODY wall has been hit 4 times since June, the builder won't pay up, only one person was caught so their insurance company will only pay for 1 hole's worth of damage, the person who has a backyard and a wall with 3 holes in it, won't pay for it, so the comittee asked everyone on Monday to chip in $100 per house

I don't think I've ever heard so many cuss words from so many OAP's in my life!

what enjoyable reading, this entire post was
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:50 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Just wanted to pick your brains on the procedure and cost of buying a house in the US (PA specifically).

Initial questions are:

i) How do you get to view a house you like the look of on the internet?
ii) What exactly are the fee's associated with buying a house - either % or $?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lottie

PS - Currently have been living in an apartment over here for 3 wks and neither me nor hubby can bear the thought of another 5 months and 1 wk!! Apartment lovely, but so not used to hearing other people's noises!!!

We bought just about 25 miles of Pittsburgh PA in Feb 2003 - house cost was about $145K, charges to us were about $5.5K when all was said and done - would need to review the breakdown to see specifics. We used a Buyer's Agent who was superb. They told us all sorts of stuff like what current houses were going for, gave lots of great assessments of houses we were looking at, were available all hours of the day or night.

There were tons of forms to sign at closing - if you ever see a movie where someone signs one form to buy a house, it's sheer baloney. We took a digi camera for pics and movies of all the houses we visited so we could remember details after we left - highly recommend this!

For viewing a house, look on the net for 3d views but your Buyer's Agent will be your best asset - they will be able to show you houses that are not detailed yet in any property paper or website. We bought ours the first day it came on the market.

Sam.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
For viewing a house, look on the net for 3d views but your Buyer's Agent will be your best asset - they will be able to show you houses that are not detailed yet in any property paper or website. We bought ours the first day it came on the market.

Sam.
Not so sure about relying on the Agent so much. Remember they get paid when you buy a House only. It is your money and you will be living there and paying the Mortgage etc.

I think the MLS system is fairly similar state by state, but not certain. The data you can access is as up to date, where the Agent has the advantage is in additional information such as when it went on the market, how the price has moved and when, any other offers that may not have proceeded, past selling history. I could tell by the MLS number when it went on, occasionally they are relisted but that is not common here.

Also the Agent will have either limited or no information on houses being sold outside of the MLS system, Sale by Owner etc

I assume that the market is as dead there as it is here so you can afford to play hard ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.