Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a House in Florida...........?

Buying a House in Florida...........?

Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House in Florida...........?

Originally Posted by turing
Thanx for the positive input it all helps i want a small house to use as a holiday home hopefully a good nieghbour given $200 bucks a year may cut my grass and trim hedges while im not there told this is done i no some people who have this arangment.
Think more like $200 a Month Also Many Police Forces run a web site detailing the reported crimes per block. You might want to take a look at the crimes being reported in the neighbourhood when deciding to move

Last edited by dave2702; Aug 9th 2011 at 3:22 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The scary thing, from the link that was posted above, that these places have HOA fee's and no mention of what they are.

With the number of places staying empty, means the rest of the folks have to pick up the slack, which means in some places the fee can be more than the mortgage
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Think more like $200 a Month Also Many Police Forces run a web site detailing the reported crimes per block. You might want to take a look at the crimes being reported in the neighbourhood when deciding to move
The police dept in Holly Hill has just been fired (yes- all of 'em) for corruption, so that might give an indication as to the quality of that neighborhood....
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
The police dept in Holly Hill has just been fired (yes- all of 'em) for corruption, so that might give an indication as to the quality of that neighborhood....
Correction - that would be Oak Hill - not Holly Hill - not much difference, however. Both are skeevy, depressing redneck coastal burgs.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance may be a problem as they do not like empty houses, the area is not the best and they will have their own crime stats, no credit history and you are in a hurricane susceptible area all go against you. If you do buy a place anywhere and leave it empty for few months you spend the first few days of your holiday cleaning the place, unless you are paying a cleaning service. Of course a property management company will take care of everything except insurance but it will not be cheap.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

FloridaMoveGuide is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turing
Have contacted a couple of estate agents in the Daytona area after seeing property for sale told them im a cash buyer from the uk looking for a holiday retreat.

Seem's every property i enquire about is sold although still active on web sites as for sale i no this does happen but am i doing somthing wrong by telling them im a cash buyer from the uk. Also iv not got that much to spend $50.000 max.

The propertys iv been intrested in our between $30.000 to $25.000 get the feeling they our not intrested maybe they wont get enough commission or am i being paranoid.

Am coming over to florida in about 6 weeks time to have a look for myself does anyone no how long it would take to complete a sale on say a foreclosure property me being a cash buyer...........regards carl
The sites you are seeing are foreclosure related sites just looking to sell advertising and other crap. They are advertising properties that are coming up for a foreclosure sale at the court house, 99% will be bought by the bank that is foreclosing. Realtor.com has all the homes in the US for sale listed. When one goes under agreement, it will be removed from the site. Things are cheap there, but anything you pick up for 25k will be anything but a "holiday"