Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a House in Florida...........?

Buying a House in Florida...........?

Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

turing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a House in Florida...........?

Have contacted a couple of estate agents in the Daytona area after seeing property for sale told them im a cash buyer from the uk looking for a holiday retreat.

Seem's every property i enquire about is sold although still active on web sites as for sale i no this does happen but am i doing somthing wrong by telling them im a cash buyer from the uk. Also iv not got that much to spend $50.000 max.

The propertys iv been intrested in our between $30.000 to $25.000 get the feeling they our not intrested maybe they wont get enough commission or am i being paranoid.

Am coming over to florida in about 6 weeks time to have a look for myself does anyone no how long it would take to complete a sale on say a foreclosure property me being a cash buyer...........regards carl
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:20 am
Just Joined

blackg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a House in Florida...........?

Hi, even though houses are cheap in Florida but with $50,000 I do not think that amount of money will get you any decent house, of course it depends on the area you are looking to buy.

Have a look at this property website

Good luck
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turing
Have contacted a couple of estate agents in the Daytona area after seeing property for sale told them im a cash buyer from the uk looking for a holiday retreat.

Seem's every property i enquire about is sold although still active on web sites as for sale i no this does happen but am i doing somthing wrong by telling them im a cash buyer from the uk. Also iv not got that much to spend $50.000 max.

The propertys iv been intrested in our between $30.000 to $25.000 get the feeling they our not intrested maybe they wont get enough commission or am i being paranoid.

Am coming over to florida in about 6 weeks time to have a look for myself does anyone no how long it would take to complete a sale on say a foreclosure property me being a cash buyer...........regards carl
What sort of area are the $25/$35K properties in? You must also take into account the cost of all year round up keep...property taxes etc.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

turing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi some of the properties iv looked at on the net sold $167.000 five years ago now being sold on the market for $37.000 iv been to florida in 2009 the areas i went to were edgewater,new smynra beach and bits of daytona i dont no the area that well although we did go to the new smynra area alot and we felt that this was the place to buy.

Im a joiner by trade so the upkeep of the house wouldnt be a problem also the average yearjy taxes our around $700 on the propertys we have looked at on the net and some even less peanuts compared to what were paying in the uk.

As i said i want it as holiday retreat and will be coming over at least twice a year im involved in the motorcycle scene in the uk so am hopeing the daytona scene will workout for me as i own a motorcycle shop in the uk......
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I found this, don't know if it will help...

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/prop...ying_usa1.html
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As i said i want it as holiday retreat and will be coming over at least twice a year im involved in the motorcycle scene in the uk so am hopeing the daytona scene will workout for me as i own a motorcycle shop in the uk......
What is your plan for the property if you get refused entry?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi some of the properties iv looked at on the net sold $167.000 five years ago now being sold on the market for $37.000 iv been to florida in 2009 the areas i went to were edgewater,new smynra beach and bits of daytona i dont no the area that well although we did go to the new smynra area alot and we felt that this was the place to buy.

Im a joiner by trade so the upkeep of the house wouldnt be a problem also the average yearjy taxes our around $700 on the propertys we have looked at on the net and some even less peanuts compared to what were paying in the uk.

But if you are living in the UK and only have a tourist visa how are you going to insure the up keep!!....they are not going to let you into the US as and when and what about all the other fee's attached home owners, Utilities etc.As i said i want it as holiday retreat and will be coming over at least twice a year im involved in the motorcycle scene in the uk so am hopeing the daytona scene will workout for me as i own a motorcycle shop in the uk......
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
What is your plan for the property if you get refused entry?
Exactly.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean that sort of up keep...I meant gardeners...air con...HOA fees etc while you're in the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think foreclosures take a bit of time as the bank/s involved have to agree the sale.

You sound a bit green about the whole process, I would suggest exercising caution, maybe the reason something is very cheap is that no-one wants to touch it with a barge-pole.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What sort of area are the $25/$35K properties in? You must also take into account the cost of all year round up keep...property taxes etc.
An old rusty mobile home?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mallory
An old rusty mobile home?
Something like that.

Property prices and property taxes seem very low...if it sounds too good to be true is probably is.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Something like that.

Property prices and property taxes seem very low...if it sounds too good to be true is probably is.
Do you reckon detroit might be a better bet?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You mean there's somewhere else besides Florida in the US?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I was thinking of that other thread as well..at least he has options.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was thinking of that other thread as well..at least he has options.
I hear property in Fresno is pretty cheap too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.