British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying a house in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-house-florida-161307/)

sew2 Jun 23rd 2003 4:47 pm

buying a house in Florida

what are the difficulties to buying a house in florida as a non expat? ie. can i just purchase the property and come and go up to 6 months each year? How do i transfer the funds with safety for the purchase? etc.Perhaps someone who has done this or is doing it could help me. Thank you

SueIP Jun 23rd 2003 5:12 pm

We bought our house last year in Davenport, Florida, and we paid by Electronic Bank Transfer - it was easy to do and safe! Get the bank details of the person you are buying off and get your bank to do the rest!!

SueIP Jun 23rd 2003 5:20 pm

I forgot to add, as far as I know - you can only stay 3 months on a Visa-Waiver,longer if you get a Visa(not sure how long) - perhaps some-one else can help you there!:)

MrsLondon Jun 23rd 2003 6:51 pm

Think you can get a B tourist visa and stay for 6 months.

Ray Jun 23rd 2003 9:34 pm

Re: buying a house in Florida

Originally posted by sew2
what are the difficulties to buying a house in florida as a non expat? ie. can i just purchase the property and come and go up to 6 months each year? How do i transfer the funds with safety for the purchase? etc.Perhaps someone who has done this or is doing it could help me. Thank you
Agree. you can stay up to 6 months with the appropiate visa,

Agree. tranfer the money electronically thru your bank..

Disagree...do not pay directly to the the seller, tranfer fund to your own bank account out here, then you will pay the title company at the closing...

get a buyers agent.

Biggest problem you will face is finding your perfect house the choice is unlimited..

There are US realtors based in the UK, who can really help

Applicant Jun 24th 2003 12:02 am

Not sure if you could buy property in the US a non-resident or non-citizen of the states! Need to double check on that before you get going - unless ofcourse you are an EU millionaire!!

Ray Jun 24th 2003 12:37 am

Originally posted by Applicant
Not sure if you could buy property in the US a non-resident or non-citizen of the states! Need to double check on that before you get going - unless ofcourse you are an EU millionaire!!
Sorry Applicant..you are way off base...anybody can buy property in the USA.... Here in Florida there are literally thousands of UK owned property... On my sub division there are about 40 UK owners..we look after some of these properties, even a UK TV soap stars...(Corrie st) has a home here.

SueIP Jun 24th 2003 10:30 am

I did mean this actually!!LOL Was a bit brain dead when I posted originally!! Thats what we did. Sorry didnt mean to mislead you.

(I am studying hard for exams - brain can go a bit numb after!)

Sue;)

SueIP Jun 24th 2003 10:32 am

Disagree...do not pay directly to the the seller, tranfer fund to your own bank account out here, then you will pay the title company at the closing...

Look I have done it again!! Shall I just give up!! I was trying to quote what Ray6 had pointed out!

:confused:

Ray Jun 24th 2003 2:11 pm

Originally posted by SueIP

Look I have done it again!! Shall I just give up!! I was trying to quote what Ray6 had pointed out!

:confused:
The Scouser in Wales strikes again....LOL.....

SueIP Jun 24th 2003 7:42 pm

cant do the quote thingy!

Very funny Ray6!!!:D

How do you do that with the Quote - I tried but ended up making a mess of it!! Not usually this stupid!! Honest!;)

Ray Jun 24th 2003 9:24 pm

Re: cant do the quote thingy!

Originally posted by SueIP
Very funny Ray6!!!:D

How do you do that with the Quote - I tried but ended up making a mess of it!! I am usually this stupid!! ;)
I will make no comment...Southerners will find it easy to do though... :)

SueIP Jun 24th 2003 9:33 pm

[quote]I am usually this stupid!! [quote]

very funny!!:D

SueIP Jun 24th 2003 9:51 pm

I am usually this stupid
I hope I have got it now.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

;)