Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a house

Buying a house

Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold
Default Buying a house

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible for a H4 visa holder to purchase a house in the US (Houston to be exact).

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house

There is no real law against buying property, but a) you'll have problems getting a mortgage -- not necessarily problems but tougher than others and b) you run the risk of losing your visa, being forced to leave, and having a house in the USA you cannot live in.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible for a H4 visa holder to purchase a house in the US (Houston to be exact).

Thanks
Sure. All it takes is money; there's no law against H4 visa holders buying property. Getting a mortgage might not be easy, though, if you need one.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean as the sole purchaser or as the co-purchaser?

Either way, the mortgage provider will look at your US credit history and ask for evidence of earnings.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Do you mean as the sole purchaser or as the co-purchaser?

Either way, the mortgage provider will look at your US credit history and ask for evidence of earnings.
Come on OP said Texas - property is free in Texas so there is no need for a mortgage
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sofi
Hi all,

Thanks
You can buy a house in the USA while you are here on a visa, no problem. I did it on a H4 a few years ago (and look - here I am, still in Houston!).

You will need to show that your credit is in goodstanding and you would be well advised to have at least 10% to put down - the same rules will apply to you as to any other regular buyer. Additionally, If you have 20% to put down you will avoid paying mortgage insurance which protects the lender, not you.

In the future (based on current legislation) if you sell a house over $300,000, 10% will be held back by the title company to ensure that taxes are paid to the US govt.

Houses in Houston do not appreciate at the same rates as other places but, equally, they don't fall much either.

Email me directly, I'll be happy to tell you more.