British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying a home in LA without a realtor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-home-la-without-realtor-469577/)

Ray Aug 7th 2007 2:58 am

Re: Buying a home in LA without a realtor

Originally Posted by David Richardson (Post 5156924)
Ever the curmudgeon, Ray.

Attempted scam by Realtors made me that way ...

David Richardson Aug 7th 2007 2:59 am

[QUOTE=NC Penguin;5156937]

Originally Posted by David Richardson (Post 5156479)

I hope the OP finds your post interesting...

Is OP the Original Poster or Other Party? Not familiar with the lingo.....pls enlighten me. Ta

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 7th 2007 3:00 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5149651)
I looeked at zillow.com and I think it proved to be rather inaccurate for my neighborhood. The values on houses were from the tax appraised value which is actually out-of-date for my city (city tax appraisals haven't been done for at least five years I believe). The homes in my neighborhood have appreciated so the zillow.com figures are not meaningful.

Our neighbor who is a realtor told us that Zillow is at best, misleading most of the time.

David Richardson Aug 7th 2007 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5156940)
Attempted scam by Realtors made me that way ...

Hang on, I've got tears running down my face.

Ray Aug 7th 2007 3:17 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5156945)
Our neighbor who is a realtor told us that Zillow is at best, misleading most of the time.

If he shakes your hand ..count your fingers

Ray Aug 7th 2007 3:17 am

Originally Posted by David Richardson (Post 5156957)
Hang on, I've got tears running down my face.

LOL.. It cost them more ....

Giantaxe Aug 7th 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5156945)

Remember that services such as zillow are a threat to realtors' precious 6% commission, which they go to lengths to defend (as we've seen recently on this thread). Having said that, I'm not a big zillow fan, particularly for the changing market conditions that many areas are now seeing.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 7th 2007 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5157073)
Remember that services such as zillow are a threat to realtors' precious 6% commission, which they go to lengths to defend (as we've seen recently on this thread). Having said that, I'm not a big zillow fan, particularly for the changing market conditions that many areas are now seeing.

Zillow is just another source, to rely on any one source would be foolish.

In CO the split of 6% is 3.2% to Sellors realtor, 2.8% to Buyers.

How it gets shared around is a seperate issue, my guess is that the IRS get a chunk. Still a significant cost to the Buyer.

BritGuyTN Aug 7th 2007 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5157073)

dude, you're missing the point the guy from GA made - I can say that in 99.9% of circumstances a realtor will not make 6% from a deal. 5% in extreme cases (before income tax), but in the majority of cases its more like 1.8-2% before income taxes.

this is something i realised after the first day of licensee training, and felt sorry for the poor sops who thought that getting that license was a way to a good income...

needless to say I just use my license to get a discount on properties I buy for myself...

Giantaxe Aug 7th 2007 4:46 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5157112)
dude, you're missing the point the guy from GA made - I can say that in 99.9% of circumstances a realtor will not make 6% from a deal. 5% in extreme cases (before income tax), but in the majority of cases its more like 1.8-2% before income taxes.

this is something i realised after the first day of licensee training, and felt sorry for the poor sops who thought that getting that license was a way to a good income...

needless to say I just use my license to get a discount on properties I buy for myself...

Dude, I'm not... I am very well aware that the 6% commissions doesn't translate into 6% for the realtor(s) involved in the transaction. But from the selller's and buyer's perspective, that is not the issue. More to the point is whether a total charge of 6% of the selling price is economically justified. Personally, I don't think it is. The way the commission is split between brokerage(s) and agent(s) is a big clue as to the inefficiencies of the system, as are actions taken by NAR and state realtor boards to stifle competition by getting legislators to impose anti-competitive laws such as "minimum service" laws.

Here are some examples:

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/comments/212656.htm

http://rerclaw.blogspot.com/2007/06/...-michigan.html

http://www.inmanwiki.com/Real-Estate...ce_Legislation

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 7th 2007 5:01 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5157112)

The issue is how much it costs me - or anybody else.

What they get net is not my concern or interest.

Sally Aug 7th 2007 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5157161)
The issue is how much it costs me - or anybody else.

What they get net is not my concern or interest.

Nobody gets everything they "make" for their company or organisation.

6% to calculate into your price is a good whack compared to 1% in Britain.

angelman Aug 7th 2007 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5157166)
Nobody gets everything they "make" for their company or organisation.

6% to calculate into your price is a good whack compared to 1% in Britain.

Like so many things here the whole process seems to be grossly inefficient and geared to getting as much money out of the beaurocracy for as many people as possible. Estate agents in the UK are no better than realtors here for sure, they probably have to do less work (almost certainly) but apart from selling the house they dont seem to be as involved in the process as they do here. In London as a buyer i found my flat on the web, got an inspection done when I was sure I wanted it, got the money sorted by comparing products on charcol online, then called up a lawyer and that was it. Simple.
I think people are amazed that such a process can be so simple. Of course I realise there are plenty of pitfalls and horror stories on both sides of the pond. The realtor system here though seems so antiquated and 'mom and pop'ish. In some ways it's quaint and cute in others just stupid. So many middleman trying to get their share.
In UK as a buyer my lawyer would do everything I need, the only thing I need organise is money and inspection. I am sure that when you cut the bull*** out here its the same.
I just cant trust any realtors here, even a good friend of mine who is one suddenly whipped out a contract and asked me to sign on the line for a 3% fee!

Sally Aug 7th 2007 5:21 am

Originally Posted by angelman (Post 5157189)
I just cant trust any realtors here, even a good friend of mine who is one suddenly whipped out a contract and asked me to sign on the line for a 3% fee!

Bloody Ada

David Richardson Aug 7th 2007 6:29 pm

[I just cant trust any realtors here, even a good friend of mine who is one suddenly whipped out a contract and asked me to sign on the line for a 3% fee![/QUOTE]

If you were a Seller he/she would need a contract with you to list your property and thus a 3% fee. But you're a Buyer.....he/she should get the 3% from the Seller not you.