Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying goods through the internet.

Buying goods through the internet.

Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying goods through the internet.

Last week I ordered a bag from a store in Chicago through the internet. I e-mailed them prior to ordering to ask if the bag was authentic, not fake and to confirm it was not of 'second' quality. The reply was that it was authentic and they guaranteed all their goods. I paid the full manufacturer's selling price by CC. Well guess what? When the bag arrived yesterday its a fake, a very good fake but none the less a fake. I am aware that buying goods over the internet is risky, that's why I used my CC and purchased from a store rather than EBay.

I e-mailed the store pointing out some of the 'defects' I had noticed, their reply was for me to return the bag for inspection. I emailed them saying they would have to arrange to have the bag collected at their expense. I then called the CC company explaining the situation and they are sending me the relevant forms to complete. The store said they would pay for the bag to be returned and issue a full credit. I asked them if they were aware it was illegal to sell fake goods. They said they had not had a problem before and had no idea the bag was fake, again asking me to return the bag so they could inspect it and take the matter up with their supplier. I told them I intend to get the bag validated at a local supplier and that the supplier would in turn notify the maker. Within minutes they called me pleading for me to return the bag, apologising and again stressing that they had no idea the bag was fake.

My problem is this...my husband says 'just return the bag, you don't know what type of people you're getting involved with'. Or do I get the bag validated...knowing if it is a fake (and it is) the maker will take the store to court and that the authorities may get involved?

Edit: I have just received another call from the store...they seem to be very keen to get the bag back...I wonder why?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 30th 2006 at 2:40 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:56 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying goods through the internet.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Last week I ordered a bag from a store in Chicago through the internet. I e-mailed them prior to ordering to ask if the bag was authentic, not fake and to confirm it was not of 'second' quality. The reply was that it was authentic and they guaranteed all their goods. I paid the full manufacturer's selling price by CC. Well guess what? When the bag arrived yesterday its a fake, a very good fake but none the less a fake. I am aware that buying goods over the internet is risky, that's why I used my CC and purchased from a store rather than EBay.

I e-mailed the store pointing out some of the 'defects' I had noticed, their reply was for me to return the bag for inspection. I emailed them saying they would have to arrange to have the bag collected at their expense. I then called the CC company explaining the situation and they are sending me the relevant forms to complete. The store said they would pay for the bag to be returned and issue a full credit. I asked them if they were aware it was illegal to sell fake goods. They said they had not had a problem before and had no idea the bag was fake, again asking me to return the bag so they could inspect it and take the matter up with their supplier. I told them I intend to get the bag validated at a local supplier and that the supplier would in turn notify the maker. Within minutes they called me pleading for me to return the bag, apologising and again stressing that they had no idea the bag was fake.

My problem is this...my husband says 'just return the bag, you don't know what type of people you're getting involved with'. Or do I get the bag validated...knowing if it is a fake (and it is) the maker will take the store to court and that the authorities may get involved?

Edit: I have just received another call from the store...they seem to be very keen to get the bag back...I wonder why?

Well first of all I need to know what brand of bag you (thought) you were purchasing, for nosey purposes only you understand!
I would probably request a full refund before I returned the bag as they seem to be a fairly dodgy company. It's very unlikely that they would do this but if they want the bag back badly enough then they may comply.
It's questionable whether you should take this furthur with the manufacturer or not. I fall along the same lines as your husband in as much as 'whatever makes life easiser and doesn't rock the boat too much is the way to go (ask Brandonbrit, my nickname is 'Switzerland! ). Most people would never know that they had bought a fake, and if the quality is good then I'm sure that it is very hard to tell. Therefore, most people would probably be happy with their purchase believing that they got what they paid for. If you want to prevent anyone else from getting ripped off then the only way to do that would be to let the manufacturer of the real item know what's going on.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I ordered a bag from a store in Chicago through the internet. I e-mailed them prior to ordering to ask if the bag was authentic, not fake and to confirm it was not of 'second' quality. The reply was that it was authentic and they guaranteed all their goods. I paid the full ?
Remember their is only one important point ... get your money back ...
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm if/when you return it jersey could there be the possibility the store could say this was not the bag they sent you?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Well first of all I need to know what brand of bag you (thought) you were purchasing, for nosey purposes only you understand!
I would probably request a full refund before I returned the bag as they seem to be a fairly dodgy company. It's very unlikely that they would do this but if they want the bag back badly enough then they may comply.
It's questionable whether you should take this furthur with the manufacturer or not. I fall along the same lines as your husband in as much as 'whatever makes life easiser and doesn't rock the boat too much is the way to go (ask Brandonbrit, my nickname is 'Switzerland! ). Most people would never know that they had bought a fake, and if the quality is good then I'm sure that it is very hard to tell. Therefore, most people would probably be happy with their purchase believing that they got what they paid for. If you want to prevent anyone else from getting ripped off then the only way to do that would be to let the manufacturer of the real item know what's going on.
If your nickname is Switzerland (like my husband)...my nickname must be err...Israel. :scared:

They told me they had issued a credit last night. This probaly won't show up on my account for a few days...until then the bag definitely stays in my possession. IMO they knew full well it was a fake that's why they are so eager to get their mitts on it.

Sorry I don't think I can reveal the brand of the bag or name of the store.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

oh ok i see now from a later post that the store has already issued you a credit...who confirmed that the bag was infact a fake or is it that obvious?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmmm if/when you return it jersey could there be the possibility the store could say this was not the bag they sent you?

I really don't think so...I don't think they want to risk me taking further action...they just want the bag back.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:14 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't think I can reveal the brand of the bag or name of the store.

Bummer!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
oh ok i see now from a later post that the store has already issued you a credit...who confirmed that the bag was infact a fake or is it that obvious?

I know my bags....this is definitely fake.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Bummer!
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it was this one;

Note the tear in the paper, no-one fools JG
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:02 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was me, I would find out what it would be worth to send the bag back ($$$). If they dont play ball, send it for inspection. They lied to you, now they get to reap the whirlwind.