Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying and Driving a car in NJ - tax benefits?

Buying and Driving a car in NJ - tax benefits?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

jayd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying and Driving a car in NJ - tax benefits?

Hi, we are moving from London to NJ in 4 weeks.
I have heard you can buy a car before arriving in the US and its cheaper. Is this true? Can anyone recommend where to buy from? I have heard of a place called International Auto Source, but they dont stock the car we want - Volvo.
How can we get insurance and a license so that when we arrive we have a car? Or am I just being really naiive and we will have to rent for ages while I try to figure this one out
Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying and Driving a car in NJ - tax benefits?

we used internat. autosource to lease. We ordered the model we wanted before we arrived and there was a lead time on it so we still didnt get it for 4-6 weeks til after we arrived. they however negotiated cheaper rates for us to rent a car. It actually worked out for the best as it gave us 4-6 weeks to get a US driving licence so the insurnace we set up was cheaper than getting it on a uk driving licence. Also As we had also moved into our rental from the hotel it made it easier to register etc as we had a home address.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayd
I have heard you can buy a car before arriving in the US and its cheaper. Is this true? Can anyone recommend where to buy from? I have heard of a place called International Auto Source, but they dont stock the car we want - Volvo.
How can we get insurance and a license so that when we arrive we have a car? Or am I just being really naiive and we will have to rent for ages while I try to figure this one out
Thanks for any advice!
Hi:

Many of the European manufacturers have had European delivery of US Spec cars in Europe -- the idea being that an American resident could buy the car, drive it in Europe during vacation and then have it shipped to the US.

Volvo does this. See http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg4.htm

I have no idea if this can be done before obtaining residence in the US.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
we used internat. autosource to lease. We ordered the model we wanted before we arrived and there was a lead time on it so we still didnt get it for 4-6 weeks til after we arrived. they however negotiated cheaper rates for us to rent a car. It actually worked out for the best as it gave us 4-6 weeks to get a US driving licence so the insurnace we set up was cheaper than getting it on a uk driving licence. Also As we had also moved into our rental from the hotel it made it easier to register etc as we had a home address.
Great advice! It will be about 5 weeks until we move into our home with a permanent address. Did you rent from Int auto source as well as buy a car from them?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice! It will be about 5 weeks until we move into our home with a permanent address. Did you rent from Int auto source as well as buy a car from them?
Make sure their is a volvo dealer in striking distance of you
there aint that many
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

where in NJ?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by elfman
where in NJ?
Montclair, yes will check up about dealerships. Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:34 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Montclair, yes will check up about dealerships. Thanks
http://www.montclairvolvo.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

We live in the next town west of Montclair
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:35 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

no think they arranged the cheap rental via avis.
If your going to do this leasing - go to your local volco dealer and look at all the options you might like. we had to pick the model, colours and all the options up front. Also look at the fuel consumption. We didnt and managed to pick an suv that suited us in all respects but only does 13mpg. This is proving quite expensive in gas costs and the gas prices are on the up. if i were doing it again mpg would be a lot more in my mind.
note - they also didnt send the car to the most local ford dealer to us - they sent it to a city centre branch. Not a big deal but it made picking it up a bit more of a faff.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a couple threads on insurance, drivers license and getting a car in NJ if you search them out...can't remember if NJ was one of those states that make it a hassle getting a license or not...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:15 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a couple threads on insurance, drivers license and getting a car in NJ if you search them out...can't remember if NJ was one of those states that make it a hassle getting a license or not...
Yes, it is a complete PITA.... NJ has a 6-point system for checking identity and OP will have to take a written test.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ you can't take possession of the car until you have insurance. Not sure whether you have to have a NJ driver's licence to get insurance...worth checking.

BTW if your employers are members of New Jersey Manufacturers they are considered the best insurance company in the state.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.montclairvolvo.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

We live in the next town west of Montclair
Found a drinking buddy havent you?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:17 am
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Found a drinking buddy havent you?
not sure I need another one - got my hands full with our lesbian friends who spent most of the afternoon/early evening today plying me with Belgian beer
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

not sure I need another one - got my hands full with our lesbian friends who spent most of the afternoon/early evening today plying me with Belgian beer
They want to dip you in chocolate you lucky bastard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.