Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Originally Posted by COSPhil
They say a minimum of 45 days from arrival in the USA.
Who is "they"? Are you talking about how long it takes to get the EAD in hand?

For me, it will be an absolute min of 90 days.
Are you planning to file an I-765 the day you arrive in the USA? If so, then it will be about 60 - 90 days after you arrive in the USA until you have your EAD in hand. (This would be the 90-day EAD, not the 1-year one you get when filing AOS).

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely don't need new. However, I am working on the understanding that getting a loan is almost impossible when I arrive.
The OH can co-sign, plus with $6K down on a $10K car, loan will be easy to get. Won't be the interest free rate kind of thing on a new car for folks with decent credit history, but it won't be that bad if you get a loan for a couple of years and if you're able to pay most of it off and leave a minimal amount for at least 12 months, you're golden.

Car loan is the easiest form of financing you'll get and it's good bit of history.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We didn't need to have local licences. Maybe that requirement has changed.
Its depends on your state from what the fella said today.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am now looking at cars.
Spend a few $$ and get online at ConsumerReports.com. I would never buy a car without consulting the independent experts!

Ian