Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Buying Cars after K1 Entry

Hello All

Subject to the granting of my K1 visa, I am of course trying to look at the practical side of my move and plan ahead.

My shipping left today and will be held for a little while to ensure it enters the USA after me, meaning although I'm without it now - I won't be without it for long in Colorado.

Anyway...

I am now looking at cars. I am moving to Colorado Springs which although sunny most of the time does get quite a bit of snow in the winter and is a little dangerous to drive in the winter without an AWD/4WD car.

Firstly, does anyone have any "cheaper" AWD/4WD cars that they would recommend?

I have been speaking to International Autosource and they can offer the Ford Escape (Kuga in the UK), Edge or Explorer as well as a top end version of the Fusion (Mondeo in the UK). All of these have a $6k downpayment which is comfortable for me.

They have also offered the VW Tiguan. I believe they also do Jeep and Dodge AWD & 4WD in similar price ranges (I've enquired about the latter two as they might be a bit cheaper). Jeep Compass looks like a cheaper option.

I am on a K1, so the ability to take delivery is contingent on;
- Letter of employment offer
- EAD
- SSN
- Colorado Driving Licence
- Ordering BEFORE I leave the UK.

A second advantage here is that this will allow me to begin to build up a credit rating in the USA.

(Secondary question, would people recommend I still do the secured credit card thing as well if I went this route?).

The other option is for me to buy a vehicle outright - which is where I start to get lost.

The problem is with all the costs of moving and also wanting to make a downpayment on a mortgage I cannot afford a large amount for this type of car upfront.

So, thoughts, experience, recommendations are all much appreciated....
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Cars after K1 Entry

I still have my Ford Explorer which I bought through International Autosource.

It has been useful for carting kids around but it's very uneconomical on gas - if I were doing it again I would look into the fuel economy much more closely.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:01 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COSPhil
Hello All

Subject to the granting of my K1 visa, I am of course trying to look at the practical side of my move and plan ahead.

My shipping left today and will be held for a little while to ensure it enters the USA after me, meaning although I'm without it now - I won't be without it for long in Colorado.

Anyway...

I am now looking at cars. I am moving to Colorado Springs which although sunny most of the time does get quite a bit of snow in the winter and is a little dangerous to drive in the winter without an AWD/4WD car.

Firstly, does anyone have any "cheaper" AWD/4WD cars that they would recommend?

I have been speaking to International Autosource and they can offer the Ford Escape (Kuga in the UK), Edge or Explorer as well as a top end version of the Fusion (Mondeo in the UK). All of these have a $6k downpayment which is comfortable for me.

They have also offered the VW Tiguan. I believe they also do Jeep and Dodge AWD & 4WD in similar price ranges (I've enquired about the latter two as they might be a bit cheaper). Jeep Compass looks like a cheaper option.

- EAD
- SSN

A second advantage here is that this will allow me to begin to build up a credit rating in the USA.

(Secondary question, would people recommend I still do the secured credit card thing as well if I went this route?).

The other option is for me to buy a vehicle outright - which is where I start to get lost.

The problem is with all the costs of moving and also wanting to make a downpayment on a mortgage I cannot afford a large amount for this type of car upfront.

So, thoughts, experience, recommendations are all much appreciated....
Cash is king when you first move over. There is plenty of advice on credit but I would strongly recommend getting a secured card ASAP and having your future wife add you to her credit card (assuming she has one) even if you're getting a car loan.

I haven't driven the new escape but the old one was underpowered in it's I4 form and I would say get the more powerful V6 version.
The Edge is a good SUV. It's got a decent amount of room in it and it's not too uneconomical.

The Tiguan is just too much money for what it is IMO. I don't know what International Autosource offer but don't discount the Korean/Japanese cars either. Kia/Hyundai both make good small SUVs packed with features. You may not need 4wd as much as good tyres!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

Yes, I've driven Japanese & Korean in the UK and had no problems.

Unfortunately apart from Nissan they don't come up in the Intl Autosource scheme.

One that does and seems to be extremely good value for a AWD/4WD is the Jeep Compass....
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:48 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've driven Japanese & Korean in the UK and had no problems.

Unfortunately apart from Nissan they don't come up in the Intl Autosource scheme.

One that does and seems to be extremely good value for a AWD/4WD is the Jeep Compass....
I personally am not a fan of the Compass but please don't take me at my word as it's a personal opinion and try it for yourself if you can. I found it to feel a bit cheap and not that great to drive. I think the Ford's are much better (I hire a lot of cars on business!)
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink
I personally am not a fan of the Compass but please don't take me at my word as it's a personal opinion and try it for yourself if you can. I found it to feel a bit cheap and not that great to drive. I think the Ford's are much better (I hire a lot of cars on business!)
Yes, I need to go and try a few of them on my next visit to the US.

The Compass appears to have reasonably mixed reviews. I've driven a Cherokee which I was okay with (I didn't own it, however)
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:03 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Yes, I need to go and try a few of them on my next visit to the US.

The Compass appears to have reasonably mixed reviews. I've driven a Cherokee which I was okay with (I didn't own it, however)
It kind of depends what you're looking for. If you're just looking for something to get you from A to B I'm sure it would do you just fine but I found it to be one of the least updated cars I have driven with no gadgets to speak of. The Fords and the imports (Japanese/Korean etc) have better interfaces for things like iPods etc etc.

I'm slightly biaised as I like gadgets... I'm a salesmen's best friend when it comes to buying cars as I like to put all the options on!!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really need new though?

Probably better off getting second hand...if you can afford $6K down, get a loan for a few grand and a few year old Suburu with not to many miles on it would be a better option at building credit and it would be much cheaper to insure.

Also 4wd, not really that important, unless you live on a mountain with bad roads. Really just want to spend a bit of money on decent set of winter tyres and if the roads are a bit rough, getting some steel rims to keep them on to save the alloys.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

Probably better off getting second hand...if you can afford $6K down, get a loan for a few grand and a few year old Suburu with not to many miles on it would be a better option at building credit and it would be much cheaper to insure.

Also 4wd, not really that important, unless you live on a mountain with bad roads. Really just want to spend a bit of money on decent set of winter tyres and if the roads are a bit rough, getting some steel rims to keep them on to save the alloys.
I definitely don't need new. However, I am working on the understanding that getting a loan is almost impossible when I arrive.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I haven't bought a new car in decades. A 2-3 year-old low-mileage car, can be as good as new at a much lower cost.
Originally Posted by Bob
But you have a USC fiancee, who will be your wife within 90 days - let her get the loan and buy the car.
I definitely don't need new. However, I am working on the understanding that getting a loan is almost impossible when I arrive.
Regards, JEff
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I agree. I haven't bought a new car in decades. A 2-3 year-old low-mileage car, can be as good as new at a much lower cost.

But you have a USC fiancee, who will be your wife within 90 days - let her get the loan and buy the car.

Regards, JEff
Yes, I do - but she already has an outstanding car loan. I wouldn't want to put extra pressure on her credit. That's purely unfair.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

- EAD
- SSN

I'm not familiar at all with International Autosource. Is it a way of buying the car while you are still in the UK, but getting the loan based in the USA? But they won't actually give you the car until you can provide the above list of items? You won't get the SSN for a few weeks after your arrival. You won't get the EAD for about 60 - 90 days after you arrive (if you're applying for the 90-day EAD) or 60 - 90 days after you file AOS. You won't get your CO driver license until you have your SSN, most likely.

So you *order* the car before you leave the UK, but the loan is done in the USA, and you actually get the car in possession several months after your arrival in the USA? Is that how it works?

Yes.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Which do you want more - "fair", or a car?

Which way will put less pressure on the family budget - that is, get the second car for the family for the lowest monthly payments?

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not familiar at all with International Autosource. Is it a way of buying the car while you are still in the UK, but getting the loan based in the USA? But they won't actually give you the car until you can provide the above list of items? You won't get the SSN for a few weeks after your arrival. You won't get the EAD for about 60 - 90 days after you arrive (if you're applying for the 90-day EAD) or 60 - 90 days after you file AOS. You won't get your CO driver license until you have your SSN, most likely.

So you *order* the car before you leave the UK, but the loan is done in the USA, and you actually get the car in possession several months after your arrival in the USA? Is that how it works?

Yes.

Rene
Rene - that's my understanding. The majority of people who use it are on the H1B or L1 and generally will have their business give them a rental for a while.

Most K1s wouldn't be able to use it as they won't already have an employment offer before they leave the UK. I am fortunate to have one for as soon as my EAD comes through.

I am happy to survive sharing my Finacee/Wife's car until then as she within walking distance to work we will be able to do that for a little while.

They say a minimum of 45 days from arrival in the USA. For me, it will be an absolute min of 90 days.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't need to have local licences. Maybe that requirement has changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.