Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying a car without US licence?

buying a car without US licence?

Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default buying a car without US licence?

Hi
The day has finally come, we are at the airport on our way to California!! we rented a car for a week but Im wondering if we can buy a car without US licence? if so we might extend the rental when we arrive
could someone possibly let me know?
thank you very much
Laety
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a car without US licence?

Originally Posted by laety
Im wondering if we can buy a car without US licence?
In most states, you can certainly buy a car without a US license. However, it'll be very difficult to insure it, register it, and get license plates for it without a US driver's license and proof of residency. But, you can buy it.

Ian
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

libra90210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure you can buy a car. You can even get a US licence. It costs some $60 and takes about 1/2 day of time to take the test.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While you can buy a car without having a US license you will be putting unnecessary roadblocks in your way and making life more difficult for yourself than necessary if you don't go ahead and get a US license as soon as possible.

In California you are supposed to get a California license within 10 days of becoming resident in the state - in practice that is rarely possible for new arrivals since you will have to wait for your social security number before you can get the license - nevertheless you should try to get a license as soon as possible - in the US a driver's license is the universal form of identification and without one you pretty much don't exist.

If I were you I would keep the rental car for the first 30 days or so and not rush to try and buy a vehicle within the first week .
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
If I were you I would keep the rental car for the first 30 days or so and not rush to try and buy a vehicle within the first week .
Yeah, cars and the whole system is a bit different here and second hand is a much bigger minefield.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Different in Ohio I know but I got a car rental for 19 days when we came over, which gave me time to get my Ohio license and buy and insure a car before the rental had to go back.

Insurance is more problematic and most definitely more expensive without a US license, I agree with the others above that your US license should be top priority.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:40 pm
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by libra90210
Sure you can buy a car. You can even get a US licence. It costs some $60 and takes about 1/2 day of time to take the test.

A half a day? More like 5 minutes
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Grey Area
A half a day? More like 5 minutes
Only 5 minutes to take the test but a half a day standing in line waiting at the DMV ...