Reload this Page >

Buying a car in the US

Wikiposts

Buying a car in the US

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

scoobysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in the US

Hi all, me and my wife are planning our third road trip across the US in 2009 and was wondering if we could buy a car. Its very expensive to rent a 4x4 for the 3 months we intend on traveling.
We do own a property in Florida and we was thinking that we would purchase the truck there and store it at our villa when we were not there plugged into a battery conditioner. Now the big question is, can we buy a car and legally register the car to our address and use Florida State plates for the trip. Also what about the driving license can we use our UK license or do we have to take a Florida driving test and obtain a license for the duration of the visa which may be a VWP or B1/2. Also what abut insurance does this go up because of where we are from or is it done the same as if we were locals.

Many thanks
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in the US

Originally Posted by scoobysteve
Hi all, me and my wife are planning our third road trip across the US in 2009 and was wondering if we could buy a car. Its very expensive to rent a 4x4 for the 3 months we intend on traveling.
We do own a property in Florida and we was thinking that we would purchase the truck there and store it at our villa when we were not there plugged into a battery conditioner. Now the big question is, can we buy a car and legally register the car to our address and use Florida State plates for the trip. Also what about the driving license can we use our UK license or do we have to take a Florida driving test and obtain a license for the duration of the visa which may be a VWP or B1/2. Also what abut insurance does this go up because of where we are from or is it done the same as if we were locals.

Many thanks
The insurance will be the killer.

You know many rental companies offer monthly rates that are significantly lower than extrapolating say the daily or weekly rate out to 30 days. I don't necessarily think it would be cheaper than buying a car, but when you factor in the 'hassle' of all those steps you may end up a bit happier at the end of your 90 days. You might also be able to get a rider on your UK insurance that would cover 'rental cars' (I've extended my US insurance on my family car to cars I rent on travel and it costs me $5 extra a month)
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

I hear ya, I thought that it might be an issue with insurance. I have in the past rented but most companies will only rent you on a 30 day contract they all expect us to go back to their office to renew the contract, a bit hard when you 3,000 miles away. The last time we paid for 62 days of rental and got them to fax us the docs, they were not happy but they should have told us about it when we took the car.
I also have an additional insurance policy valid for 30 day periods (single rent) as we rent cars each month in Portugal where I live, I just thought that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy, it hurts me to pay so much each time we come over especially as its normally for 3 months and this time maybe 6 if we can get the B1/2
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya, I thought that it might be an issue with insurance. I have in the past rented but most companies will only rent you on a 30 day contract they all expect us to go back to their office to renew the contract, a bit hard when you 3,000 miles away.
Have you found/tried any smaller outfits instead of the big chains?

Was in a similar situation a few years ago, albeit in Canada - wanting to rent for about 70-odd days to drive all round the U.S. The big firms gave me all that 30 day bollocks but I found a nice little local outfit that were only too happy to help.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy, it hurts me to pay so much each time we come over especially as its normally for 3 months and this time maybe 6 if we can get the B1/2

just on the news this morning that cars are being given away, cheap as chips mate with the country collapsing...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well I have used a UK company (not major one) and they are often able to get me a very good rate that includes full insurance and any additional drivers included. I did actually notice the prices of cars in Florida are very good I sis see a Saturn Vue (which is what we normally end up with) for a little over $8,000 2005 model fantastic value for money
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Call the rental company and say you want a mini lease, I've done this for rentals lasting several months.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Norri,

Ah that sounds interesting, how does the price compare vs normal renting. thanks
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/US/e...8-56423-2056-0