Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying a car out here

Wikiposts

buying a car out here

Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: buying a car out here

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I agree, a Honda or a Toyota is the way to go - economical and reliable (say the guy with a 4.0 Jeep).
Yes but what do you say?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:49 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yes but what do you say?

Oh I agree with him too
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:31 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I agree, a Honda or a Toyota is the way to go - economical and reliable (say the guy with a 4.0 Jeep).

ooh - thats our second car - a 1995 with 242,000 miles on the clock!!!

If it makes it to 250k miles it will be a miracle
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm...wouldn't touch carmax with a bargepole (even if I had a bargepole).

We went to them when we first moved here to buy a car. We found the car we wanted and agreed to buy it but of course we were paying cash and not finance. We told them we would be back the next day to collect the car with a certified cheque (or even a "check") and to our astonishment they wanted me to pull up our bank account online in front of them to prove we had the money!!!!! We even offered them a $500 deposit to hold the car for us.

After a gentle "stuff it up your arse" in the way only we Brits can do, we walked out and bought a car somewhere else.

Actually, where we did buy a car was funny because they couldn't understand why we didn't want to take the car that day and then bring the money in the next day!

Now, where can I get a bargepole so I can make a point of not touching things with it?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

If youre staying in Colorado you might want to look for a 4x4 ... it gets a wee bit snowy I've heard.

Good luck with the buying !
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say a bad word about Carmax, they were pretty good I thought.

How about leasing for a year - is it possible?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I can't say a bad word about Carmax, they were pretty good I thought.

How about leasing for a year - is it possible?
Gonna get stuffed on the good old credit rating for leasing.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
If youre staying in Colorado you might want to look for a 4x4 ... it gets a wee bit snowy I've heard.

Good luck with the buying !
I live in CO - the only cars i ever see i the ditch the morning after it snows are the 4x4's
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Hmmm...wouldn't touch carmax with a bargepole (even if I had a bargepole).
We went to them when we first moved here to buy a car. We found the car we wanted and agreed to buy it but of course we were paying cash and not finance.

You were paying WHAT??? Cash? What's that???

Anyone buying a car here has to understand that the concept of buying a car for cash is completely alien to US folks.

What's more, it's not a good idea to reveal one's intentions until their quote is in writing. If they smell that they won't be able to sell you a finance package, you lose vital bargaining power.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to say it, don't buy an American Car or truck. German or Japanese. Maybe Volvo or Saab, though now owned by FORD. Personally German or Japanese. They just make better more reliable cars.
American cars contain lots of bells & whistles, but they probably don't work. This is personal expierence, my 2004 Ford Explorer (14,000 mile on the clock), is back in the shop. Same 2 problems, they have been fixing since July 12th. They have had the car for 24 days out of the last 6 weeks. I have had 2 brand new Jeeps befor this, also junk.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. I put my crash helmet on ready for the tirade.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hate to say it, don't buy an American Car or truck. German or Japanese. Maybe Volvo or Saab, though now owned by FORD. Personally German or Japanese. They just make better more reliable cars.
American cars contain lots of bells & whistles, but they probably don't work. This is personal expierence, my 2004 Ford Explorer (14,000 mile on the clock), is back in the shop. Same 2 problems, they have been fixing since July 12th. They have had the car for 24 days out of the last 6 weeks. I have had 2 brand new Jeeps befor this, also junk.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. I put my crash helmet on ready for the tirade.

The porblem with Japanese and German cars is that they don't have enough drinks holders.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira
You were paying WHAT??? Cash? What's that???

Anyone buying a car here has to understand that the concept of buying a car for cash is completely alien to US folks.

What's more, it's not a good idea to reveal one's intentions until their quote is in writing. If they smell that they won't be able to sell you a finance package, you lose vital bargaining power.
I know, I know....but I didn't even have my SSN# so finance was not an option. But you're right, maybe I should'nt have disclosed that little morcel until the deal was done.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
I live in CO - the only cars i ever see i the ditch the morning after it snows are the 4x4's
probably because they think they can handle the roads better just because it's a big motor...we see a lot of jeep's in the ditch, but then a lot of them aren't 4x4....plus the they need to be sand bagged in the rear for traction.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hate to say it, don't buy an American Car or truck. German or Japanese. Maybe Volvo or Saab, though now owned by FORD. Personally
thought saab was gm?
anyway, saab's are the way to go, start well in winter, which is the main concern...except for the stupid blipper, keeps opening the boot from within the apartment and the light then drains the battery.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by paul_TX
I know, I know....but I didn't even have my SSN# so finance was not an option. But you're right, maybe I should'nt have disclosed that little morcel until the deal was done.
also it's a great way for people to get a credit history started...even if it is for a small amount of the car like a few hundred bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.