Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car and doing a long camping road trip

Buying a car and doing a long camping road trip

Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a car and doing a long camping road trip

Originally Posted by Boiler
Should be OK as long as he does not drive in NY.
Good food for thought, thanks for that. I'll look to get my NY license asap when i touch down next month.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car and doing a long camping road trip

How long is this trip supposed to take? IIRC you can't go to the DMV in CA to register the car with an out-of-state address (plus IMHO don't want to do that as IIRC they'd want the sales tax even on a private sale) so you'd have to drive it within the 30 days you have to re-register the car in its new home state.

At least you've picked a state where the plates stay on the car and you don't have to go to the DMV to get a movement permit/temp registration. That is, unless the car has a personal plate on it.

Oh, and keep in mind that out here in the West, cars seem to be noticeably more expensive than in the East (and *much* more expensive if you're looking at used cars with UK price bias). At least if they're genuine CA cars (especially SoCal cars) they're usually rust free.