Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car

Buying a car

Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car

Roughly how long is the process of buying a car in the US? We're moving later this year and will have a hire car from the get go. We're intending to get a used car for around $15K. We could probably purchase it in cash, but it'd probably be better to get it via a loan in order to up our credit rating. Is it feasible to get all this done in 2 weeks (what with furnishing a flat too)?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car

I bought a car and furnished my rented house in my first week here so yeh, it is possible.
I had a hire car for the first few days, drove round to garages that I'd looked at online and got a banged up '98 Subaru for $3.5k that lasted me a year.
I paid cash and then a year later got a loan to get myself something better and to help my credit score
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at International Autosource. You would have to pony just a little more cash, but you could have a new car, financed on "regular terms" (as for any US citizen or legal resident), ready and waiting for you when you arrive.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state and what they require to get it plated and registered.

Most places, to buy, you just hand over the monies and they sign the title over.

Getting it on the road. Usually involves giving insurance company the vin number, bending over with a jar a little and handing over more money.

Then going to DMV/BMV or whatever the state calls it, wait in line for hours, filling in details about insurance, title and residence proof/ID and handing over a small bit of money, probably money for taxes and you either get a plate and tags or you get temp stuff and receive the real stuff in the mail and you're good to go.

Car loan, usually a few days tops, but could be done in a day.