Reload this Page >

buying a car

buying a car

Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

looneytunes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying a car

Hi,
I have just moved to Chicago last week, and need to buy a second hand car cause my job will involve commuting 40 miles a day.
1) When we buy a car from a private seller, do we need to get our own licence plates?
I have had a look at DMV @illinois, but haven't found an answer.
Can I use the previous owners licence plates till I get my own. Do i get a temp one to begin with?
Extremely confusing. Why cant they just sell the car with the plates on it.

Many thanks for your replies.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a car

Check out the Illinois Secretary of State's web site on how to apply for Title, plates and registration
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ion/apply.html
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looneytunes
Hi,
I have just moved to Chicago last week, and need to buy a second hand car cause my job will involve commuting 40 miles a day.
1) When we buy a car from a private seller, do we need to get our own licence plates?
I have had a look at DMV @illinois, but haven't found an answer.
Can I use the previous owners licence plates till I get my own. Do i get a temp one to begin with?
Extremely confusing. Why cant they just sell the car with the plates on it.

Many thanks for your replies.
When you register you car and pay the taxes then you get your tag plates
the plates stay with you
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

looneytunes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
When you register you car and pay the taxes then you get your tag plates
the plates stay with you
many thanks for all your replies. talked to a helpful person at Sec of State office.
1) you can buy a car with cash if you don't have a SSN.
2) You can title and register it on a UK driving licence.
3) In illinois, you cannot transfer plates.
4) You will have 24 hours to get new plates. You can drive the car without plates from the sellers place to yours. Then take the title document to Sec of State office - get temp licence plates -replace when you get your own permanent licence plates.