Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

stepmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying a b&B in USA - questions please

Excellent; thank you
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepmac
Hi there I know that but I meant about the one person being employed and providing it that you metioned - do you mean that the insurance can be taken out by one person but covers two?
Employment based insurance, depends on the employer. Most usually subsidise the cost of insurance, most will offer it to spouse/family of the employed person, most will offer to cover some of the cost. They might not.

It's one of those pieces of string questions.

Read the wiki, seriously. There's a wealth of info covering the visa's, covering medical health insurance, sorting out credit, etc, etc.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, the hours my husband and I work leave us little time together, at least working together, even if long hours we could spend more time in each others company.
You could always open a B&B in the UK...

A bit tangential, but I know how much of a lure heading abroad to make big changes can be. The baggage of expectations and habit at home can be stifling (and indeed hangs over my head as an expat planning to return). However, the main thing that starting from scratch overseas achieves is taking away the accessibility of your comfort zone. With a bit of resolve and discipline, it's entirely possible to deny yourself old habits and comforts in favour of new goals in your home country. Cold turkey is not the only way

Of course, everyone has there own story behind these things, but just in case the visa doesn't happen
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

stepmac is an unknown quantity at this point

No that doesn't float our boat at all! You are right about the lure of a big change - as I've said it might be for a couple of years and we might regret it / change our minds but we feel we have to try; life is short and even shorter are the years you are able to experiment with something like this.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to go down the B&B route you really need another way of getting a visa.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Im in my late 30s and have a construction business in the UK. I am looking to start a building business in the US. I did notice that many attorneys were not embracing of this business so I have decided to go it on my own since there is no point paying $5000K in legal fees only to get denied. I had wanted to build a BandB but the land I have found is not zoned for that. What location did you finally decide on?

Hi all
Myself and my husband would love to emigrate to The USA, we are in our early 40's. I am a qualified teacher and my husband has his own building business in The UK; we have found that this is not ideal for visas, immigration etc. Our idea was for me to work and my husband to run a business, most probably an established B&B in the US. We have travelled to the US every year for 15 years exploring each region.
Our question is if we were to purchase an established B&B business in The US how would we fair for visas and ultimately green card?
I can't seem to find anything out elsewhere on the web.
Other than that we would welcome any advice as to how we could work over there with out current careers
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
Hi,
Im in my late 30s and have a construction business in the UK. I am looking to start a building business in the US. I did notice that many attorneys were not embracing of this business so I have decided to go it on my own since there is no point paying $5000K in legal fees only to get denied. I had wanted to build a BandB but the land I have found is not zoned for that. What location did you finally decide on?
The fee's are probably worth spending, because the wording and the way the petition for the visa is more likely to have success with someone experienced in the process than someone who doesn't, especially in something as flaky as the proposed business. It's also a drop in the ocean in costs associated with the business and cost of emigrating.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 411
Hi,
That is a lot of legal fees.

I am pretty sure the location was not in the US.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
Hi,
If you want to start a business in the US and you have no previous experience in doing this then you definitely need both legal and financial advice.

If the advice that you get is that it is not a good idea then perhaps you should pay attention to it.

The US economy is still a mess - construction is, generally speaking, probably not a good business to be in right now.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:25 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
Hi,
For $5,000,000 in legal fees, I'd expect my lawyer to not only get my visa approved, but to have it engraved into a block of diamond-studded gold and send it to me in a yacht!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

I meant $5K! but still I have been doing construction for 5yrs and know it inside out yet I have had some shady advice from attorneys like go to belfast and get a B2 then adjust in the US or the most recent, tweek the business plan to reflect I will be reopening the failed restaurant that was on the land then get the E2 then develop the property when I get the visa. What do I know about restaurants
i much rather have have my visa denied because of a wording than pay $5K and get denied because I was trying to be smart with the VO. Besides i have already been denied a student visa to get an associates degree in photography because I have a Masters degree so Im no stranger to denials

Originally Posted by md95065
If you want to start a business in the US and you have no previous experience in doing this then you definitely need both legal and financial advice.

If the advice that you get is that it is not a good idea then perhaps you should pay attention to it.

The US economy is still a mess - construction is, generally speaking, probably not a good business to be in right now.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 411
I meant $5K! but still I have been doing construction for 5yrs and know it inside out yet I have had some shady advice from attorneys like go to belfast and get a B2 then adjust in the US or the most recent, tweek the business plan to reflect I will be reopening the failed restaurant that was on the land then get the E2 then develop the property when I get the visa. What do I know about restaurants
i much rather have have my visa denied because of a wording than pay $5K and get denied because I was trying to be smart with the VO. Besides i have already been denied a student visa to get an associates degree in photography because I have a Masters degree so Im no stranger to denials
What do you know about B and B's.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
but still I have been doing construction for 5yrs and know it inside out
With all due respect, you may know UK construction inside and out but from what you have said so far you don't sound like you would be licensed in the US.

yet I have had some shady advice from attorneys like go to belfast and get a B2 then adjust in the US or the most recent, tweek the business plan to reflect I will be reopening the failed restaurant that was on the land then get the E2 then develop the property when I get the visa. What do I know about restaurants
Yikes, at least you are recognizing such advice for what it is.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

I would only know how to build and b and b and how to sell it but not much else after that. I dont have a construction license but would oversee those who do. I have liased with the city planners and the los angeles building and safety departments enough and know the zoning regulations of the land and obtaining permits. It really runs concurrently with the UK planning and building regulations. However I would value a realtors license over a construction license because when it came to selling a finished project I would have to pay 6% commission in the US when compared to the 2% we pay in the UK. Imagine paying $48,000 in commission on an $800,000 finished project!

My main problem is I dont want to buy land only to be refused a visa and then be subjected to direct the build while I am in London. Its heart wrenching to see a perfect site which the seller does not want to tie up pending a visa outcome and which I cant buy for fear of a visa denial.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
With all due respect, you may know UK construction inside and out but from what you have said so far you don't sound like you would be licensed in the US.

Yikes, at least you are recognizing such advice for what it is.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
My main problem is I dont want to buy land only to be refused a visa and then be subjected to direct the build while I am in London. Its heart wrenching to see a perfect site which the seller does not want to tie up pending a visa outcome and which I cant buy for fear of a visa denial.
If you are determined to do this then other opportunities will present themselves, but you are absolutely correct that it would be crazy to sink your money into an investment like that without having the visa sorted out.

btw I don't think that $5,000 in attorney fees is excessive if you have a good attorney who understands the process and is giving you good advice - I agree that, unfortunately you seem to have run into some rather dubious characters and I certainly wouldn't give any money to an attorney who advised you to just go to the US on a B2 and the attempt to adjust status (to what, I wonder ...) while there.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.