Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying alcohol with EAD

Buying alcohol with EAD

Old Dec 21st 2003, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Buying alcohol with EAD

Anyone ever try to buy alcohol with an EAD? If so, what happened? The people at the store accepted it the first time but today said they needed a driver's license and couldn't accept it. I mean it has a picture and birthdate on it, even a fingerprint and was issued by the gov't! No big deal though, will just have to use passport from now on but it just seems kinda stupid.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 2:22 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Only been asked for ID once and used my British licence even though they didn't have a clue what it was.

I work for a store chain that sells alcohol and know they have been advised by at least one state to include BCIS issued ID in their training for age limited sales.......
Old Dec 21st 2003, 2:56 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, whats an EAD?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:08 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by excpomea
Ok, whats an EAD?
Employment Authorisation Document.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying alcohol with EAD

Originally posted by Steff
Anyone ever try to buy alcohol with an EAD? If so, what happened? The people at the store accepted it the first time but today said they needed a driver's license and couldn't accept it. I mean it has a picture and birthdate on it, even a fingerprint and was issued by the gov't! No big deal though, will just have to use passport from now on but it just seems kinda stupid.
I've only been carded once (too grey, too bald). That was at a Colorado Rockies game, buying non-alcoholic beer! Apparently, the miniscule amount of alcohol that it did have makes it legally an alcoholic beverage. Funny thing is, cooking wine (which has a higher alcohol content) apparently is NOT classed as an alcoholic beverage! I found this out when trying to buy NA beer and cooking wine on a Sunday morning in a TN foodstore. They couldn't let me buy the NA beer (Sunday alcohol sales law), but the cooking wine was fine!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:22 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

In California, the EAD is generally not accepted as a primary ID.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I use to use my European passport as ID when I got carded (before I got my US drivers license), that got a few funny looks. Quite amusing to see a bouncer trying to flick through the pages with their meaty fingers to get to the ID page..LOL

Incidentally, I once got refused alcohol in a store simply because my underaged brother in law was with me at the time. I had my proper ID (I'm 30) and they wouldn't sell me a case of beer in case I supplied it to him (I had no intention of doing this). If he'd had waited outside the store I could have bought it no problem. Crazy laws!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

About 12 years ago when I first came over here, I was 23 at the time. I tried to buy beer from a local suprmarket. They would not accept either my green card or my pasport. No beer... me very sad!

Now, I look like an old bast&*$d and never get asked for ID! They think I look old. Me still very sad. :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by 1skydive
About 12 years ago when I first came over here, I was 23 at the time. I tried to buy beer from a local suprmarket. They would not accept either my green card or my pasport. No beer... me very sad!

Now, I look like an old bast&*$d and never get asked for ID! They think I look old. Me still very sad. :-)
Hehe, thanks for your replies everyone. This country is just too uptight about alcohol! Maybe we will try again with a passport.

Anyone know if you are even allowed in the store if you are underaged but with a spouse who is legal? just wondering!