Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buyers agents..........good or bad

Buyers agents..........good or bad

Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:24 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Buyers agents..........good or bad

Hey

Well my wife and I have just arrived in Little River, SC, and we are leasing for 6 months, with a view to buying by the end of the lease.

My wife received a call from someone (whom I believe responded to one of her billion internet-new-home enquiries) who proported to be a buyers agent, with no affiliation to a seller.

We are considering using one, and perhaps will talk to them next week, but wondered if anyone here had used one, and if we could get a heads up...........

thank you very much

ps - anyone here own a house within close proximity to the SC/NC coastal border?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buyers agents..........good or bad

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Hey

Well my wife and I have just arrived in Little River, SC, and we are leasing for 6 months, with a view to buying by the end of the lease.

My wife received a call from someone (whom I believe responded to one of her billion internet-new-home enquiries) who proported to be a buyers agent, with no affiliation to a seller.

We are considering using one, and perhaps will talk to them next week, but wondered if anyone here had used one, and if we could get a heads up...........

thank you very much

ps - anyone here own a house within close proximity to the SC/NC coastal border?

You should only choose an agent based on personal recommendation.

Even if you don't know many people yet, ask around.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a cash-back one! (sorry, Patrick!)

Also, sort the finance out around the same time you sort the agent out. And shop about for that, too.

Planning and homework first, then put your team together, then go looking at houses works by far the best.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:27 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Go for a cash-back one! (sorry, Patrick!)

Also, sort the finance out around the same time you sort the agent out. And shop about for that, too.

Planning and homework first, then put your team together, then go looking at houses works by far the best.

So you think he should take advice from you and not a realtor who lives on the NC/SC (ie me) because you living in AZ know everything about Myrtle Beach Realty and me (being a licensed Broker in the Carolinas) knows nothing!

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 20th 2005 at 10:33 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

thank you very much

get one

otherwise you have no-one with a fiduciary duty to you representing your best interests

and

the selling broker will get all the commission
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:34 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I own three within close proximity to the SC/NC coastal border?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
So you think he should take advice from you and not a realtor who lives on the NC/SC (ie me) because you living in AZ know everything about Myrtle Beach Realty and me (being a licensed Broker in the Carolinas) knows nothing!
I ain't a realtor, so I really have nothing to gain there. I could sell him his home loan though (think we're licensed for both NC and SC, but I'd have to check!). It's not exactly hidden knowledge what I do for a living, but I never have taken a lead from this board (nearly did one once where someone was in a mess, but changed my mind!), and most probably never will. I have an excellent source for leads that keeps me as busy as I'd like to be so why would I screw up my enjoyment here?

Instead I attempt to offer impartial advice. It's my way of giving back to the community! I'll happily tell people how their loan broker screws them and what they're making on the deal. In fact, I tell my own clients what I'm making off them if they ask. Not surprisingly, I also know much of what realtors do not advertise (seeing as I work with more than a few of them), and I'm happy to impart those facts to the members of this board, too! Knowledge is power!

I'm sure you're an excellent realtor and can give lots of advice. But you're also after the lead. It changes the perspective somewhat, doesn't it? I'm not. Nobody on this board will hear what they want to hear from me, I'm afraid, because I'm not selling them anything.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

FB

Actually I had no idea you were in the mortgage business. I suppose thats either

a: a good thing because you don't self - promote
b: a bad thing because I'm retarded and haven't noticed

I don't have an issue with a teeny amount of self-promotion - i.e. "BTW i'm a realtor", but it does piss me off when people come on here and have things like their phone number/email address in their sig.

I don't think Patrick falls into the latter category personally.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:24 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
FB
Actually I had no idea you were in the mortgage business. I suppose thats either
a: a good thing because you don't self - promote
b: a bad thing because I'm retarded and haven't noticed
It's never been a secret AFAIK!

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I don't think Patrick falls into the latter category personally.
Neither do I! And he's a great guy and all that. But he seems to have got a bee in his bonnet when I let the cat out of the bag about the fact you can delve into the poor realtor's commission check if you fancy!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:31 pm
Mr. Grumpy

It's never been a secret AFAIK!

Neither do I! And he's a great guy and all that. But he seems to have got a bee in his bonnet when I let the cat out of the bag about the fact you can delve into the poor realtor's commission check if you fancy!

I guess

Every situation is different, I've had friends use me as their buyers agent and i've given them a chunk at closing towards appliances etc or home depot cards, but these are in situations where they want to buy a house in short order and aren't a pain.

But the opposite can be true - for example, one of my friends has put about a 1000 miles on his new Chevy Tahoe (don't ask!) carting a buyer around who has no idea about anything - I feel quite sorry for him!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:06 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

thank you very much

There is no reason for you not to get a buyer's agent. It doesn't cost you (the buyer) anything and some will give you some cash (or pay some of your closing costs) whatever your state law will allow.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:44 am
Pagan Sex God

If you aint a realtor dont give advise about Realty, you are certainly not a realtor in the Carolinas. For example you dont know that a lot realtors in Myrtle Beach charge a Gas Tax before you even get in their car to stop "tourists". Most Buyers agent will do something for there Buyers when they close, I have never known anyone to give $1,000 due to the amount of money it costs to be Realtor.

I know a lot about mortgages, I will never give mortgage advice about AZ on this board so why do you feel you are a) so qualified to talk about Carolina Real Estate and b) thing you are helping by giving unqualified information and c) think you are above every one else.

Thank God you are on here to keep everyone straight, I would hate to think people should get advice about buying homes in the Carolinas by a licensed Carolina Broker - and that the only reason I am on this board is to get leads. I wonder why I was on here when I was writing software for Nokia - you seem to have all the answers, you tell me.

I bet until today very few people knew I was a realtor - the self promotion I have been doing is so extensive.

I ain't a realtor, so I really have nothing to gain there. I could sell him his home loan though (think we're licensed for both NC and SC, but I'd have to check!). It's not exactly hidden knowledge what I do for a living, but I never have taken a lead from this board (nearly did one once where someone was in a mess, but changed my mind!), and most probably never will. I have an excellent source for leads that keeps me as busy as I'd like to be so why would I screw up my enjoyment here?

Instead I attempt to offer impartial advice. It's my way of giving back to the community! I'll happily tell people how their loan broker screws them and what they're making on the deal. In fact, I tell my own clients what I'm making off them if they ask. Not surprisingly, I also know much of what realtors do not advertise (seeing as I work with more than a few of them), and I'm happy to impart those facts to the members of this board, too! Knowledge is power!

I'm sure you're an excellent realtor and can give lots of advice. But you're also after the lead. It changes the perspective somewhat, doesn't it? I'm not. Nobody on this board will hear what they want to hear from me, I'm afraid, because I'm not selling them anything.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:56 am
Septicity

If you aint a realtor dont give advise about Realty, you are certainly not a realtor in the Carolinas. For example you dont know that a lot realtors in Myrtle Beach charge a Gas Tax before you even get in their car to stop "tourists". Most Buyers agent will do something for there Buyers when they close, I have never known anyone to give $1,000 due to the amount of money it costs to be Realtor.

I know a lot about mortgages, I will never give mortgage advice about AZ on this board so why do you feel you are a) so qualified to talk about Carolina Real Estate and b) thing you are helping by giving unqualified information and c) think you are above every one else.

Thank God you are on here to keep everyone straight, I would hate to think people should get advice about buying homes in the Carolinas by a licensed Carolina Broker - and that the only reason I am on this board is to get leads. I wonder why I was on here when I was writing software for Nokia - you seem to have all the answers, you tell me.

I bet until today very few people knew I was a realtor - the self promotion I have been doing is so extensive.

Well, you really are in a tizzy, aren't you? Read carefully -- I'm not a realtor, anywhere! Do you really believe the utter crap you wrote? It really isn't worthy of you. I shall give what advice I feel like giving when I want to give it, I'm afraid. If people want to listen to it, that's fine. If people want to argue with it, that's fine. If people want to ignore it, that's fine, too. But to state that only licensed Carolina realtors can discuss buying Carolina real estate on this board is really rather stupid.

I do not know what makes you believe I'm above everyone else. Don't see I can really help you on this one.

It's fine that you don't give cashback (or gas cards or whatever) to your service. I don't mind and you're welcome to carry on your business that way. But to try and state that it doesn't exist is beyond belief. I am tempted to Google every realtor in the area to list those that do offer some money back, but I'm sure readers can do it themselves now they know the trick.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:33 am
Pagan Sex God

Read carefully -- I'm not a realtor, anywhere! .
But feel your advice is valid over a realtors, interesting

But to state that only licensed Carolina realtors can discuss buying Carolina real estate on this board is really rather stupid.
Well technically I said a Licensed Carolina Broker was probably more qualified to give advice over someone, oh lets say, who lives in AZ and does not sell Realty for a living

It's fine that you don't give cashback (or gas cards or whatever) to your service.
What I give my clients is between me and them

But to try and state that it doesn't exist is beyond belief. I am tempted to Google every realtor in the area to list those that do offer some money back, but I'm sure readers can do it themselves now they know the trick.
Yes, Thank God you where here to show everyone the way. Go with a realtor who will give you $500 back at closing - do you not think (like all gimmicks) what they give with one hand they are taking away with the other?

You know everything about Carolina Real Estate, can you give cash as a gift to the Buyer? In fact, technically under SC/NC Real Estate Law, can you give anyone (including the buyer) without a Realtor License any kind of gift (monetary or otherwise)?

I am thinking of having brain surgery in Memphis next week, any advice you can me that I tell the surgeon?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:14 am
Septicity

I am thinking of having brain surgery in Memphis next week, any advice you can me that I tell the surgeon?
If you have health insurance, check the coverage before you begin.
If you don't have health insurance, transfer all your assets out of US jurisdiction before you go under the knife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.