Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To buy a car do I need a US license?

To buy a car do I need a US license?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To buy a car do I need a US license?

Hi All,
I'm in New York and a car dealer just told us we need a US drivers license before we can buy a car?

Is this right as I've read a lot about expats who paid more for insurance because they didn't have a US license?

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy a car do I need a US license?

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi All,
I'm in New York and a car dealer just told us we need a US drivers license before we can buy a car?

Is this right as I've read a lot about expats who paid more for insurance because they didn't have a US license?

Thanks
I don't think it can be a legal requirement because a lot of people buy ahead of time through International Autosource.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

No - you do not need a US license to buy a car.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add my tuppence, I test drove and bought my first car over here with a UK license. The guy at the car place didn't even bat an eyelid at it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

hannahlove7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cluedweasel View Post
Just to add my tuppence, I test drove and bought my first car over here with a UK license. The guy at the car place didn't even bat an eyelid at it.
I went test driving in the USA and also didn't have any problems with my UK license (the guy went out back to check it was ok with his boss but that was about it).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:57 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying a car is a property transaction. It has nothing to do with driving a car.

Suggest you find another car dealer.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Buying a car is a property transaction. It has nothing to do with driving a car.
Yes - driving, registering and insuring it are another story, but buying it just requires money - something that any car dealer should be more than willing to take off you.

(... of course if you are trying to finance the vehicle and don't have a credit history, SSN and US driver's license you could very well be out of luck, but once you have that out of the way the actual buying part is easy ...)
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Buying no, but I think registering/licensing (titling) requires you to have insurance on the car, and I think insuring the vehicle would require a license. I do not know if they would even issue temporary tags if you did not have a license, thus you might end up owning a car that is sitting on the lot until you get that bit sorted out.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
Yes - driving, registering and insuring it are another story
Insuring it was fine too. Expensive, because of no US driving history, but our broker had no problem getting me insured for the 4 weeks or so it took me to get my driving test appointment and a CA licence.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
Yes - driving, registering and insuring it are another story, but buying it just requires money - something that any car dealer should be more than willing to take off you.

(... of course if you are trying to finance the vehicle and don't have a credit history, SSN and US driver's license you could very well be out of luck, but once you have that out of the way the actual buying part is easy ...)
second that
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

In CT you have to have either a CT driving license, or a CT residents card issued by the DMV in order to register a car with them. You cannot register a car without one of those two documents.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I don't think it can be a legal requirement because a lot of people buy ahead of time through International Autosource.
IA warned me that when I went to pick my Jeep up, which I purchased from them, the dealer would require to see my Oregon driving license and Social Security card. It is Oregon law that before the dealer can release and register the car to you, you must have both. The Jeep was purchased in my wife's name to over come this.

So while it is technically correct you don't need a license to buy a car, in Oregon in the ever day sense most people talk about buying a car you do.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When buying a new car in NJ the dealer has to confirm that you have insurance with your insurance company. When we came here in 1996 we couldn't get car insurance without a NJ licence...therefore we got our driver's licence within the first week.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Looking at the other replies, it's obviously different in every state. Here in SC we bought a car, registered it, and got insurance through a broker the dealer recommended, all before we got our US licences. Insurance costs will make your eyes water though!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:33 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
When buying a new car in NJ the dealer has to confirm that you have insurance with your insurance company. When we came here in 1996 we couldn't get car insurance without a NJ licence...therefore we got our driver's licence within the first week.
We would love to buy a car, but we were told we have to wait for a SSN before we can get a driver's licence before we can register a car here in PA. Mercifully OH's work has given us a car insured for the both of us. However, even the work fleet car has to be registered to his name and we have temporary plates for a maximum of a month (I believe) to get it properly registered. I believe he is taking the written test as I write so he can get his learner's permit before he can get his licence. My SSN is still lost in the US administration system, so I am well and truly stuck.

I have now got a rather agitated OH who has been told that the next available test date will be in 6 weeks...

Last edited by White-ishRose; Aug 31st 2010 at 8:32 pm. Reason: update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.