Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

But is it art ?

But is it art ?

Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default But is it art ?

Nude Bush taken off display

A painting of President Bush in the nude has been taken down from the wall at the City Museum in Washington, having been branded "unsuitable".

The painting, a caricature of the President, shows him reclining naked on a chaise longue, his head propped up by a pillow.

Myra Peabody Gossens, public relations consultant for the museum, said the exhibit was not what had been expected.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 12:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: But is it art ?

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Nude Bush taken off display

A painting of President Bush in the nude has been taken down from the wall at the City Museum in Washington, having been branded "unsuitable".

The painting, a caricature of the President, shows him reclining naked on a chaise longue, his head propped up by a pillow.

Myra Peabody Gossens, public relations consultant for the museum, said the exhibit was not what had been expected.
This whole idea quite put me off my breakfast. The entire Bush family should be made to keep its clothes on at all times.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 12:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The entire Bush family should be made to keep its clothes on at all times.
I don't know... I could see the twins showing off their tits to Playboy some day.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 12:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I don't know... I could see the twins showing off their tits to Playboy some day.
You know you're right, if you could get them to do that just before the election I would actually be quite happy.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:34 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You know you're right, if you could get them to do that just before the election I would actually be quite happy.
Think Bushito would disown/disinherit them? Hell Gramma Babs would beat them with a stick at the least (that might be kinda fun to watch too!)
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know exactly as to the taste of the subject matter but it does sound more like "art" to me!! In recent years there was on display in the Uk a pile of bricks and I think it was the two halves of a cow (seperated) in a large tank of formalin!!How anyone can call that are is beyond me!! Perhaps I should send them a big pile of dog poop for display??
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
..... Perhaps I should send them a big pile of dog poop for display??
Unfortunately you'd have to be "an artist"* to get away with that one!

* Whatever that means.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:20 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

I do not know exactly as to the taste of the subject matter but it does sound more like "art" to me!! In recent years there was on display in the Uk a pile of bricks and I think it was the two halves of a cow (seperated) in a large tank of formalin!!How anyone can call that are is beyond me!! Perhaps I should send them a big pile of dog poop for display??
the concept of art seems to have been lost.. yet, some bloody idiots pay these so called artists a hell of a lot of money.. im in the wrong business i think.. even *I* can get a pile of bricks together
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

I could not agree more!!! I once employed an art student (she was a good kid) who was an "art student" and one of her peices was a paper mache toilet!!! I did talk to her about my concept of art but she was unwilling to concede my points!! Perhaps I am just old fashioned but I believe art for the most part to be a picture (of some description) a sculpture or even maybe something that is beautiful like a Ferrari etc. Shock/modern art is not art IMHO!!!
Pulaski: You say that you have to be an artist to "get away with it" well I guess that may be true but what type of artist and what "qualifies" you as an artist?? I ahve travelled to many parts of the world and have taken many photographs. Would a photographer not be considered an artist???
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:38 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

what "qualifies" you as an artist??

Erm.... I'm not sure that's actually a question that really HAS an answer- correct me if i'm wrong but isn't ART subjective? If a person can create something ...anything( even if it's a pile of poop) and feel they are expressing something ....and some one, anyone even just one person can appreciate that creation (or poop) be it in the way intended by the "artist" or in their own way is it not then Art??

me i like pretty pictures and yes i take them at face value no trying to find the inner meaning for me heck i can't even appreciated Piccasso all crap to me but everyone to his own ......
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The "question" was in relation to my statement about poop. One of the replies said that I would have to be an "artist" for that to qualify. Yes I do agree that it is subjective but sometimes the "art" either is for shock value or just out of stupidity I feel. That IMHO is no real artist who does it for that reason. They are just out to make a quick buck.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:41 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

The "question" was in relation to my statement about poop. One of the replies said that I would have to be an "artist" for that to qualify. Yes I do agree that it is subjective but sometimes the "art" either is for shock value or just out of stupidity I feel. That IMHO is no real artist who does it for that reason. They are just out to make a quick buck.
Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.

Kenneth Tynan (1927–1980), British critic. repr. In Eugène Ionesco, Notes and Counter-Notes (1962). “Ionesco and the Phantom,� Observer (London, July 6, 1958).
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Blimey!! Thats deep!!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Didn't Bush start out as a p*** artist??
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:40 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!! Thats deep!!
Stilll waters, an' all that...