Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Business culture in the US

Business culture in the US

Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:49 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business culture in the US

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
I find Americans, in general, talk a good job of work. I never met an American who doesn't spend every minute of their day, usually 10 hours + working. Just like those people who never lose money in the stockmarket, well until recently?

When condensed into real work I think its usually 4 hours. What I mean is they seem to obsess about having to spend time at work, or be seen to be working. I have always gone by the motto: work is an 8 hour interruption of my social life, but of course, here I would never say that!

+ the vacation days are awful.
Hmmm.
Yes, I've found that Americans are very proud of the sacrifice of their lives to the idea of "work". This notion of a work ethic is claimed by just about everyone and worn as a badge of honor. I allways say that I'd like a work ethic, but can't afford one.
Suggest you try this one (on the off that you haven't allready): use that well worn old expression of ours "don't work too hard" and note the reactions among various people. Its a good acid test of which ones are faking it - which is usually most of them.
*hint* do NOT say it to the boss unless you really don't care.

I have that philosophy also btw, that work is an invasion of my private life.
Right on comrade!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:08 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Hmmm.
Yes, I've found that Americans are very proud of the sacrifice of their lives to the idea of "work". This notion of a work ethic is claimed by just about everyone and worn as a badge of honor. I allways say that I'd like a work ethic, but can't afford one.
Suggest you try this one (on the off that you haven't allready): use that well worn old expression of ours "don't work too hard" and note the reactions among various people. Its a good acid test of which ones are faking it - which is usually most of them.
*hint* do NOT say it to the boss unless you really don't care.

I have that philosophy also btw, that work is an invasion of my private life.
Right on comrade!
You've been gone too long - my niece works in advertising in the UK, and is always talking about the long work hours.

http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/...ary.php?id=352
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
You've been gone too long - my niece works in advertising in the UK, and is always talking about the long work hours.

It must also be industry dependent - my husband is a senior executive in his company but he still leaves by 5pm everyday so he can see his children! It's certainly not the norm to work long hours here.

I don't know anybody that works past 6.30pm here - and that's considered 'working late'! Plus of course most get 25 days hols so that helps the work life balance.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:33 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Way, way, way too damn, damn, bleedin, 'kin long

Having read thru that link & wondering about OT pay, the only reference to getting paid was this:
"a need to improve take-home pay, either through overtime payments where available, commission, or performance related pay."

Do office staff or business "professionals" in England get paid for excess time worked in a week? As you say, its been a long time.