Reload this Page >

Business banking with EIN but without SSN

Business banking with EIN but without SSN

Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:45 am
Just Joined

rj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business banking with EIN but without SSN

Hi,

I need to open a business bank account in the US for the US subsidiary of my UK company. I have opened an LLC and have been supplied with an EIN by the IRS. Looking online they all want a SSN. Has anyone had any experience working around this??

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business banking with EIN but without SSN

Originally Posted by rj123
Hi,

I need to open a business bank account in the US for the US subsidiary of my UK company. I have opened an LLC and have been supplied with an EIN by the IRS. Looking online they all want a SSN. Has anyone had any experience working around this??

Thanks in advance.
It's going to be easier doing it in person. Is this possible?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Yes, I'm in the US with the company paperwork at the moment.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:12 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rj123
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
You'll find it easiest to phone the bank and ask directly, or just go into a branch. In either case, make a point of avoiding the normal retail telephone customer service, and deal with someone who deals with new business accounts.

They'll probably want to have a copy of the operating agreement, a copy of the IRS letter showing the issuance of the EIN, the LLC paperwork issued to you by the state, and, I would presume, some info about the parties who are authorized to access the account. If the managing member is another entity, such as another LLC, they might want to have some information about that, too.

Do keep in mind that most LLC's are passthrough entities, so tax liability ultimately flows through to the members.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the info. I'll pop into a big branch and see what I can do.