British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bush's Illegal Immigrant Work Visas (For or Against) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bushs-illegal-immigrant-work-visas-against-333022/)

ricky7 Oct 22nd 2005 5:18 pm

Bush's Illegal Immigrant Work Visas (For or Against)

I am very interested to hear what everyone thinks of Bush and his :scared: proposed Work Visas for the Illegal Immigrants in the USA.

gruffbrown Oct 22nd 2005 5:19 pm

Re: Bush's Illegal Immigrant Work Visas (For or Against)

Originally Posted by ricky7
I am very interested to hear what everyone thinks of Bush and his :scared: proposed Work Visas for the Illegal Immigrants in the USA.

Have you got a link?

dunroving Oct 22nd 2005 5:31 pm

If they are needed here then it makes sense to make them legal - but I think there should be some burden of proof that they've been here working productively for a certain period of time.

Personally it ticks me off somewhat that there are different standards for immigration (if you go the legal route via employment or special abilities it seems to be a lot more complicated vs some less "deserving" routes), but that's a separate issue.

ricky7 Oct 22nd 2005 5:38 pm

anyone know how i can add my thumbnail photo to my messages like you guys did?

Ray Oct 22nd 2005 5:54 pm

anyone know how i can add my thumbnail photo to my messages like you guys did?

Yes ...

Ray Oct 22nd 2005 5:55 pm

There's 11 million illegals and 2000 staff to catch them .. why not ...

krizzy Oct 22nd 2005 6:11 pm

Some people come here to make enough money to take back home to live for a few years........I see no problem with that becoming legal......
I watched a show about this very topic on PBS last night........I though the Mexican guy should be given a visa to work for so long and then go home........cut out all the bad guys taking thousands from the hard working families just to get them into the States....
I would like to see a short term work visa for people from any country......not just Mexico......I have no idea how workable that would be..............would people want to go home.......?

ricky7 Oct 22nd 2005 6:15 pm

I do feel for their situation but if you tell everyone in the world that if you make it to America or England or Germany etc illegally you will get a legal work visa then that sends a message to the whole world that the floodgates are now open.
The world is a wicked place and not fair. I wish their own govs. would do more to help their people. :beer:

fatbrit Oct 22nd 2005 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Have you got a link?

There are a number of proposals:

Ambitious guest-worker program - John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass

Go home and reapply - Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., and John Cornyn, R-Texas

Moratorium on Mexican immigration - J.D. Hayworth, R-Ariz.

Google is your friend...

ricky7 Oct 22nd 2005 6:21 pm

Yes but what is your opinon? Use your own brain. :zzz:

fatbrit Oct 22nd 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
Some people come here to make enough money to take back home to live for a few years........I see no problem with that becoming legal......
I watched a show about this very topic on PBS last night........I though the Mexican guy should be given a visa to work for so long and then go home........cut out all the bad guys taking thousands from the hard working families just to get them into the States....
I would like to see a short term work visa for people from any country......not just Mexico......I have no idea how workable that would be..............would people want to go home.......?

Surprisingly, the Mexican migrant worker became the permanent immigrant after the border clampdown following 9/11. Before that time, many would freely cross and work here without documentation, then return home to their families for a while. But since it has become more difficult and expensive to cross, they brought their families and settled down instead.

Certainly here in Phoenix, the stereotype of the migrant illegal hanging out at the Home Depot parking lot is incorrect. Many are just middle class Americans: they live in their own home, drive a truck on a loan, want their children to go to college, etc. Indeed, most of these families have at least one USC. The main differences with the established population are are lower household incomes and larger families, a typical feature of first generation immigrants.

Weird, eh, that clamping down the border actually made them more permanent.

Bob Oct 22nd 2005 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
There's 11 million illegals and 2000 staff to catch them .. why not ...

it'll improve the stats overnight won't it...

CaliforniaBride Oct 22nd 2005 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Surprisingly, the Mexican migrant worker became the permanent immigrant after the border clampdown following 9/11. Before that time, many would freely cross and work here without documentation, then return home to their families for a while. But since it has become more difficult and expensive to cross, they brought their families and settled down instead.

Certainly here in Phoenix, the stereotype of the migrant illegal hanging out at the Home Depot parking lot is incorrect. Many are just middle class Americans: they live in their own home, drive a truck on a loan, want their children to go to college, etc. Indeed, most of these families have at least one USC. The main differences with the established population are are lower household incomes and larger families, a typical feature of first generation immigrants.

Weird, eh, that clamping down the border actually made them more permanent.

Excellent post FB. But I'll have to karma heavens knows how many nutters before I get to do you again.

ricky7 Oct 22nd 2005 9:39 pm

FB,

Unfortunately the point is not that migrant workers are bad people and not unlike us in many ways, it is that once you allow a policy to legitimize people from entering the USA illegally, you send a word out to the world that it is ok to do just that. And what about the people that are waiting in line legally to receive a GC like us who played by the rules and the many people overseas who are waiting to enter the USA legally?
I say that the USA uses their troops on closing down both borders. They then use the money saved from not fighting a war to expand the USCIS 5 fold so they can process all of the legal applicants entering the country. To help Mexico, they allow a very large quota that apply receive their GC.

Now if we can just figure out a way to get those troops out of Iraq and put them on the border.

Ricky7

fatbrit Oct 22nd 2005 11:36 pm

FB,
Unfortunately the point is not that migrant workers are bad people and not unlike us in many ways, it is that once you allow a policy to legitimize people from entering the USA illegally, you send a word out to the world that it is ok to do just that. And what about the people that are waiting in line legally to receive a GC like us who played by the rules and the many people overseas who are waiting to enter the USA legally?
I say that the USA uses their troops on closing down both borders. They then use the money saved from not fighting a war to expand the USCIS 5 fold so they can process all of the legal applicants entering the country. To help Mexico, they allow a very large quota that apply receive their GC.

Now if we can just figure out a way to get those troops out of Iraq and put them on the border.

Playing by or against the rules in US immigration is pretty irrelevant in my book. The US government chose not to enforce its own so-called immigration policies and turned a blind eye to it all for many years. So why should I worry if people come legally or illegally?

What does bother me though is that the government should acknowledge it's hypocritical role in this if it now seeks to find a solution. I believe the McCain/Kennedy bill heads in the right direction here, unlike the other two proposals.

Sealing the borders is also irrelevant. In 1992 I first walked the dog along the river bank where the Danube meets the Morava. Much of the fabric of the curtain was still in place, and this border was patrolled by a large army. Yet I met hundreds who had crossed it without permission because they wanted a better life on the other side. If you want to enforce a new start to the immigration policy, you need to make it impossible for those who cross illegally to function on the other side while encouraging the government south of the border to improve their own economy and standard of living.