Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

View Poll Results: Bush signs Schiavo legislation-how do you feel?
I'm Outraged!!
95.45%
Government intervention is fine by me.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Originally Posted by candy wy.
i guess from the views of some people anyone that has to depend on any type of life support and has some type of brain imbalance should be allowed to die.

Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:53 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
So oncology patients with rampant cancer shouldn't be extubated?

now your being an ass...
why would a cancer patient be extubated????
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

yes a living will should be made by all...
i am sure if it was a person wish to be kept a live indefinitley they could take action to see that it was paid for they have insurance for everything else over here..
Nearly all health insurance policies have a lifetime cap. If legislation is passed in Florida to allow and pay for this, you're going to have a lot of seniors on life support with their rellies holding out for the next big cure.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

did i mention your name.
Well who the hell are you to judge what other people think.

You're doing here what you've been doing best.

Making assumptions about people you know squiddly dat about.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Nearly all health insurance policies have a lifetime cap. If legislation is passed in Florida to allow and pay for this, you're going to have a lot of seniors on life support with their rellies holding out for the next big cure.
i was talking about a different type of insurance than the normal health one.
i.e like you can get already for long term nursing care.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:58 pm
staying around

Well who the hell are you to judge what other people think.

You're doing here what you've been doing best.

Making assumptions about people you know squiddly dat about.
and who the hell are you god...
like i said did i mention any names...........
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

yes a living will should be made by all...
i am sure if it was a person wish to be kept a live indefinitley they could take action to see that it was paid for they have insurance for everything else over here..

Have you estimated the cost?

Many Americans with a quality of life well above that of the person in question cannot afford the most rudimentary healthcare and simply die, while for many others the government already foots the bill provided they are sensible enough to be extremely poor. Is there going to be any limit to this? I hate to guess what the current care for Ms. Schiavo is costing, but I could probably double any guess I make.

Given a finite amount of resources and plenty of demand, do you think that Ms. Schiavo is a priority? Are there more deserving cases where we would get a better bang for our buck? Perhaps principle should override money and we should make healthcare resources equal to demand?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

now your being an ass...
If you don't understand something please don't get personal. Explain how I was being an ass with my statement?

I presume you mean intubated. If you really mean extubated, well because there is nothing more that can be done for them.

And why wouldn't they? ermmm, respiratory distress.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:01 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Have you estimated the cost?

Many Americans with a quality of life well above that of the person in question cannot afford the most rudimentary healthcare and simply die, while for many others the government already foots the bill provided they are sensible enough to be extremely poor. Is there going to be any limit to this? I hate to guess what the current care for Ms. Schiavo is costing, but I could probably double any guess I make.

Given a finite amount of resources and plenty of demand, do you think that Ms. Schiavo is a priority? Are there more deserving cases where we would get a better bang for our buck? Perhaps principle should override money and we should make healthcare resources equal to demand?
and that is what in the end it comes down to money..
if you want to live at any cost you better have the money to do it.
because the way things are going anyone who needs to much health care will be allowed to die..
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

now your being an ass...
If there were no hope for recovery and the person had either made a living will or a DNR, then at some point they would be extubated and allowed to die.

I've been through a DNR case with my grandmother. It is excruciatingly hard to withhold treatment from a loved one, but it was her wish, and thankfully she was "only" unable to express her wishes for less than 48 hours, so at least I didn't have to wonder if withholding treatment was against her will. You so want to fight with everything you have.....

At one point I wandered forlornly down to the nurses' station to ask what we should do when she died. I mean, I knew the drill from telly if someone coded and was to be resuscitated -- scream and get help. I was lost as to what the protocol was in cases like my grandmother's. Instead of crying and hugging and saying goodbye at death, we've been taught to run for more help and spend those last moments watching medical personnel do some incredibly invasive and traumatic things to our loved one, only to at some point have to give up and leave us with someone who died during the procedures in the hands of the doctors instead of in our arms.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this discussion reminds me of my history teachers viewpoint. Everyone should be put out of life on reaching 65. Would save a lot of expense for families and Governments. The drawback is I would not be here to say this.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:06 pm
Septicity

and that is what in the end it comes down to money..
if you want to live at any cost you better have the money to do it.
because the way things are going anyone who needs to much health care will be allowed to die..

Thank god for the NHS, eh?

And hopefully the US will become enlightened one day.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:09 pm
Deep in the red C.

and who the hell are you god...
like i said did i mention any names...........
No but you feel good to post that you understand the motives behind the thoughts of "some people".

Stop being a judgemental fool and get off your moral high ground.

Now back to the point in question.

Give me one good reason why the husband of a woman that is in PVS and that he believes (based on a relationship with this woman) would be miserable in the condition she is in should not have the right to be an advocate for her.

The fact is: You (and me also) do not know anything about the issues at hand and what the relationship is between the two.

Time for people to mind their own business and stop imposing their morals and ethics on others.

It is the NOK's decision which the courts have backed. Simple as that.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:10 pm
staying around

If you don't understand something please don't get personal. Explain how I was being an ass with my statement?

I presume you mean intubated. If you really mean extubated, well because there is nothing more that can be done for them.

And why wouldn't they? ermmm, respiratory distress.
sorry i haven't seen many cancer patients that were extubated
they usually die from the high dose of morphine in the body and were not intubated to start with..

Last edited by candy wy.; Mar 24th 2005 at 9:23 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:11 pm
Deep in the red C.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If there were no hope for recovery and the person had either made a living will or a DNR, then at some point they would be extubated and allowed to die.
Yes, and if medical personnel deemed it futile to continue the intubation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.