Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

View Poll Results: Bush signs Schiavo legislation-how do you feel?
I'm Outraged!!
95.45%
Government intervention is fine by me.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:48 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Okay I see from another thread that you're all familiar with this case, well lets step back a minute and instead of looking at Terri's unfortunate situation lets look at the bigger picture...how do you feel about the Senate..nay the President of the United States coming into your home and interfering...passing a law to do what he thinks is right, regardless of your own or your loved ones wishes?

a feud between families is one thing but U.S Government intervention is another...how do you feel about this?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

I don't believe its that simple....yes or no you're for it or not. I know that others will disagree, but I truly feel something had to be done for this case. Should it be done on a regular basis, well no. Does it have to be black and white in this circumstance....I don't know.....
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Sadly it is a quality of life issue & how much quality of life does the poor woman have ?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

My problem with this and based on what I have read is that I cannot understand why the husband has not allowed any therapy therefore I cannot accept that their would be no improvement in the quality of life.
Secondly if he is such a caring person who has made another life with someone else (I am not passing judgement on that as it is his life) then if it was me I would make sure all the medical and other bills were paid up from the settlement and then let, as requested by them, her parents care for her for the rest of her life.
I am just not satisfied that all has been done that could have been done and if it has taken the Federal Government to get involved then so be it.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

If the parents can look after her on their dime, then good for them. If however this is costing the taxpayers money to keep a women alive who will never recover from her terrible brain injuries, then it's time to pull the plug so to speak.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
If the parents can look after her on their dime, then good for them. If however this is costing the taxpayers money to keep a women alive who will never recover from her terrible brain injuries, then it's time to pull the plug so to speak.
I wonder how much the special congressional session cost us all? I'm sure all kinds of clerks, secretaries etc had to be called in for Congress to vote on this....
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:38 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UJ_99
I wonder how much the special congressional session cost us all? I'm sure all kinds of clerks, secretaries etc had to be called in for Congress to vote on this....
From what I heard the legislation only applies to this particular case. I would have thought there were enough problems elsewhere in the world to keep the 'most powerful man in the world' fully occupied.....sounds like micromanagement on a grand scale!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tony126
My problem with this and based on what I have read is that I cannot understand why the husband has not allowed any therapy therefore I cannot accept that their would be no improvement in the quality of life.
Secondly if he is such a caring person who has made another life with someone else (I am not passing judgement on that as it is his life) then if it was me I would make sure all the medical and other bills were paid up from the settlement and then let, as requested by them, her parents care for her for the rest of her life.
I am just not satisfied that all has been done that could have been done and if it has taken the Federal Government to get involved then so be it.
But it is not up to the parents, it is up to the husband. And as for whether all that has been done has been, 20 local and state judges AND the Supreme Court has looked at the evidence. For that reason alone, Congress and the President (and previously Gov Bush) should not interfere.

ABC news uncovered a memo from GOP HQ telling Repubs to use this for political leverage for midterm elections.

Finally, if this is what Congress is prepared to do, what about this case?
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3084934

The laws being used in this case were passed by Bush during his tenure as Gov, permitting hospitals to yank feeding tubes from patients with no hope of improvement, or of paying their bills.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Sadly it is hard to look at this from a cold & rational stance, yes I think she should be allowed to die, but would I remove the feeding tube from the Memsahib, that is one descision I would never want to have to make.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be completely cold and heartless here...but isn't it a major waste of tax money for bush to get involved when there is so much else that will affect far more people that could do with the time and money, like healthcare reform and the iraq situation?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

When there is no where else to go what would you do? No matter where you are you take to the highest level you can for a decision whether it is the Supreme Court or the Hague or whatever applies. As I said I am not confident in my own mind that evrything possible has been done for her. Why refuse her therapy in any form? The following is another point of view on this subject.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comme...00503160848.asp
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

When there is no where else to go what would you do? No matter where you are you take to the highest level you can for a decision whether it is the Supreme Court
That is the point - the Supreme Court has already weighed in on this. Congress has no right to be involving itself in this. As a taxpayer I'm pissed - they can convene hearings over Janet Jacksons boob, Steroids in Baseball and now this, but can't balance the budget or even attempt to tackle the deficit!! Congress should have enough to do.

Plus, why this case, and not the one I linked to? As Barney Frank said, is Congress now going to have to consider ALL similar cases? That is what we have a judiciary for.

BTW - could you repost that link, as it doesn't work.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UJ_99
That is the point - the Supreme Court has already weighed in on this. Congress has no right to be involving itself in this. As a taxpayer I'm pissed - they can convene hearings over Janet Jacksons boob, Steroids in Baseball and now this, but can't balance the budget or even attempt to tackle the deficit!! Congress should have enough to do.

Plus, why this case, and not the one I linked to? As Barney Frank said, is Congress now going to have to consider ALL similar cases? That is what we have a judiciary for.

BTW - could you repost that link, as it doesn't work.
Sorry about the thread try this one
http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0503160848.asp
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:49 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Why refuse her therapy in any form?
Correct me if I'm wrong but in many cases after extensive therapy (OT, physio, etc.) if the patient shows no sign of responding to the therapy then the therapists make a decision that the individual is unrehabable (sp?) and are discontinued from further therapy in order to free up time for others.

The guidelines influencing this decision, I have no idea.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Iginla
Correct me if I'm wrong but in many cases after extensive therapy (OT, physio, etc.) if the patient shows no sign of responding to the therapy then the therapists make a decision that the individual is unrehabable (sp?) and are discontinued from further therapy in order to free up time for others.

The guidelines influencing this decision, I have no idea.
Neither do I. This is the point I am trying to make. Why has the husband refused any therapy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.