Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush & Blair "Are Mangling English"

Bush & Blair "Are Mangling English"

Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Bush & Blair "Are Mangling English"

According to BBC TV and Radio 4 newsreader and current affairs host John Humphrys:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sh_language_dc
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush & Blair "Are Mangling English"

Originally Posted by Englishmum
According to BBC TV and Radio 4 newsreader and current affairs host John Humphrys:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sh_language_dc
Did it not escape John that neither Tony nor George are English?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:49 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think his issue is with the English language rather than nationality mate.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I think his issue is with the English language rather than nationality mate.
the English language is more than just the Home Counties though.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:17 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

the English language is more than just the Home Counties though.
True. This Humphrys guy would probably do away with regional accents and slang and have everyone in the English speaking world talk like the Queen.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:19 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Tony blair's not English? where's he from then?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:20 pm
Get em out by Friday

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Tony blair's not English? where's he from then?
Edinburgh
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:49 pm

Mighty Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

True. This Humphrys guy would probably do away with regional accents and slang and have everyone in the English speaking world talk like the Queen.
If we all talked like the Queen, what a quiet nation we would be.....We'd only talk at Christmas and spend half an hour bitching about how horrible our lives are. Besides.......isn't the queen a German??
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:50 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck
isn't the queen a German??
Frau Vindsor unt kinders will be sure to drag you off to the tower.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh
that's surprising! he sounds posh to me ...isn't it amazing if we all really tried it'd be easy to pull off a posh English accent...i think i'll stick with common
Welsh though....gets more compliments
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:02 pm

Frau Vindsor unt kinders will be sure to drag you off to the tower.
LMAO......but I believe a health bribe of Bratwurst does wonder for your 'inside' privileges........not that I'm saying I'd like to slip queeny a pound of german sausage or anything!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:03 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck
LMAO......but I believe a health bribe of Bratwurst does wonder for your 'inside' privileges........not that I'm saying I'd like to slip queeny a pound of german sausage or anything!!!!!!!!
wish i hadn't read that, I'm scarred for life :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:07 pm
Get em out by Friday

that's surprising! he sounds posh to me ...isn't it amazing if we all really tried it'd be easy to pull off a posh English accent...i think i'll stick with common
Welsh though....gets more compliments
It's fairly easy to live in Edinburgh and not have the accent if you are surrounded by toffs. Especially if you go to a school like this...

I used to work with a guy (in Edinburgh) born and raised in Liverpool and he spoke with a straight Blair type English accent. He said it was a conscious effort to get rid of his scouse brogue so he could be taken more seriously.
Was very weird...he'd been so succesful at it that when I asked him to go back to his scouse accent it sounded very fake
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:08 pm

wish i hadn't read that, I'm scarred for life :scared:
besides.......if recent reports are true......maybe Charlie would prefer a length of Bratwurst!!!!!.....not that I'm casting aspersions.......to each his own
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:33 pm
Back Again

[QUOTE=tony_2003]It's fairly easy to live in Edinburgh and not have the accent if you are surrounded by toffs. Especially if you go to a school like this...
eeeekk that's a school? it looks like it probably has a few dungeons :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.