British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bush (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bush-254913/)

Muswell Hill Sep 16th 2004 1:52 am

Bush

I have looked long and hard and have been unable to find anything positive that Bush has actually done to elicit such devotion from his supporters . I am genuinely perplexed as to why such obviously intelligent , well-read people still support him and welcome your input on this topic .

I dont want this to just turn into a Kerry hate-fest , though of course your opinions on Kerry are welcome too , so long as you provide supportable facts to demonstrate what Bush has done to improve the lot of his fellow countryman or even the World's populace at large .

Covenant Sep 16th 2004 2:00 am

Re: Bush

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I have looked long and hard and have been unable to find anything positive that Bush has actually done to elicit such devotion from his supporters . I am genuinely perplexed as to why such obviously intelligent , well-read people still support him and welcome your input on this topic .

I dont want this to just turn into a Kerry hate-fest , though of course your opinions on Kerry are welcome too , so long as you provide supportable facts to demonstrate what Bush has done to improve the lot of his fellow countryman or even the World's populace at large .

As they say, put a monkey in the right colours and people willl vote for him.

Bob Sep 16th 2004 2:27 am

The draft, what the hells up with that....being instated for everyone, to include civilian work or somin'...anyone catch the details? bit late for me to bother with tonight...
sorry bit of topic... :)

doctor scrumpy Sep 16th 2004 10:39 am

I love the way bush is accusing Kerry of having policies that will cause a $ 2 trillion deficeit over the next decade. Turns out experts predict that bush's policy will cause a $ 3 trillion shortfall.

NC Penguin Sep 16th 2004 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill

I suppose the "intelligent, well-read people" you refer to are Bush and his family's buddies, especially in business, who bolster the Republican party and Bush's campaign with their backhanders, I mean donations, to assist their interests.

As for the rest of the population who are Bush supporters, I suspect they align themselves to Bush because he is conservative and shown himself to be religious (despite their being an official separation of Church and State).

tinaflorida Sep 16th 2004 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
As for the rest of the population who are Bush supporters, I suspect they align themselves to Bush because he is conservative and shown himself to be religious (despite their being an official separation of Church and State).

Here's an interesting article that I saw on the BBC website yesterday, which portrays a Brit's view on religion and politics in the US.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3658172.stm

As for me, sadly I don't have the vote here in the US yet, but I will debate with anyone on why Bush should not be re-elected. Not just the man himself, but the whole ideology behind him, scares me to death. I just don't see how anyone can justify some of his beliefs.

Duncan Roberts Sep 16th 2004 4:57 pm

I personally don't really like Bush, but I don't really like Kerry either. However, i dislike Kerry slightly less.

If you believe the commercials, you should vote for Bush because he's badass and will protect America and Kerry is a pussy who can't make his mind up or you should vote for Kerry becasue he was in a war and you shouldn't vote for Bush becasue he's messed up the country. Either way, I'd rather see what they intend to do, but more impoartantly, how they are going to do it.

But I can't vote so it doesn't really matter!

Bob Sep 16th 2004 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I personally don't really like Bush, but I don't really like Kerry either. However, i dislike Kerry slightly less.

If you believe the commercials, you should vote for Bush because he's badass and will protect America and Kerry is a pussy who can't make his mind up or you should vote for Kerry becasue he was in a war and you shouldn't vote for Bush becasue he's messed up the country. Either way, I'd rather see what they intend to do, but more impoartantly, how they are going to do it.

But I can't vote so it doesn't really matter!

I agree...those ads are starting to get really annoying, no substance to them

Bob Sep 16th 2004 6:24 pm

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,64967,00.html

That's quite interesting, while speaking about the ads :)

Marie723 Sep 17th 2004 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,64967,00.html

That's quite interesting, while speaking about the ads :)

Let's see...Bush has:

increased federal spending on education by 49 percent

If re-elected wants to:focus on building a more prosperous, competitive economy that will continue to be a strong engine for jobs and prosperity for years to come. The essential elements of his plan include: taking the next bold steps in reforming education; building a skilled and effective workforce; encouraging a pro-growth, fair, and simpler tax system; promoting research and development in both the public and private sectors; opening markets for American goods around the globe; meeting our energy needs and lessening our energy dependence; reducing the regulatory burden; and reforming Government to be smaller and more efficient, responsive, and effective. President Bush is committed to making sure America has the best prepared, best educated, and highest skilled workforce in the world.

Wants to put a community health care center in every poor county in america so that people with little money can get care. (about time)

He worked with with Congress to change Medicare -- for the better, so seniors have got more options to choose from; so seniors, starting in 2006, will have prescription drug coverage. And by the way, in 2005, for the first time, Medicare is going to pay for screenings, so that we can prevent disease from occurring now, rather than have to treat it later.

He also took to the United States Senate a vote for $87 billion for supplemental funding for our troops in Iraq, so they would have everything they need to do their jobs in the safest way possible.

(Kerry on the otherhand: voted against funding for our troops) even though he votes YES to the use of force over in Iraq!He finally said the whole thing was a complicated matter. There's nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat.!!!)

Three years. Three tax cuts. An economic recovery—American ingenuity—unleashed. At a critical moment in the Nation’s economic history, while a recession was taking hold, America was attacked, and corporate fraud was exposed. In response to these challenges, the President acted decisively to strengthen the economy and create jobs. The President’s leadership resulted in Congress returning taxpayer money to the families, entrepreneurs, innovators, and investors who earned it.

He took a evil man out of leadership that had the capabilities of seriously hurting our country and others. Not to mention what he did to his own people! Rather ya like it or not, getting this man of power did the whole world a favor!

Kerry has:
promised over $2 trillion of new money so far, and we're just coming down the stretch. It's easy to stand up in front of audiences and tell them what they want to hear in politics, believe me, particularly when you're spending somebody else's money. And the question is how he's going to pay for it. And he's got that answer we've all heard before -- I'm going to pay for it by taxing the rich. Now, you've heard that before. Here's the
problem: One, you cannot tax the rich enough to pay for over $2.2 trillion in new spending, so there's a tax gap. And generally, when there's a tax gap, we the people get to fill it.

He wants to:create good-paying jobs here, not ship them overseas. They want to reward hardworking middle-class families with tax breaks, not larger bills. They want to expand the reach of opportunity, not the size of government. And they want to lead an America where we work together to invest in the jobs of tomorrow.
(would be great)

Wants to:address soaring premiums and cut Americans a break. Their plan will lower family premiums by up to $1,000 a year, cut waste from the system, lower the cost of prescription drugs to provide real relief to seniors, and use targeted tax cuts to extend affordable, high-quality coverage to 95 percent of Americans, including every child. And because John Kerry and John Edwards believe that everyone's health is equally important, they will provide all Americans with access to the same coverage that members of Congress give themselves

John Kerry and John Edwards will greatly expand after-school programs to serve 3.5 million children and fund a historic increase in the Child Care Tax Credit to meet the needs of overstretched parents.

On average, women still earn only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men. John Kerry and John Edwards believe that we must make equal pay for equal work a reality, not a slogan. They will ensure greater transparency and fairness by improving enforcement and disclosure about companies' payment practices.

John Kerry was an original co-sponsor of the Women's Health Equity Act, which ensures women's access to the highest quality and most advanced health care available. As president, John Kerry will increase funding for breast and cervical cancer research and treatment, require insurance plans to cover contraception and fight for a meaningful Patients' Bill of Rights to guarantee women direct access to their OB/GYNs. And John Kerry will only nominate individuals to the federal bench whose records demonstrate a respect for the full range of constitutional rights, including the right to privacy and the right to choose

Now im not saying vote for one or the other, believe me they both have good and bad points to them.

All I can say is this, if you have the right to vote. Vote for one of them! Your vote makes a difference , I get so tired of all the people that bitch and bitch but won't get off their lazy ass and vote. (If ya can't vote yet, I understand that)
But the ones that can...Need to do so!

Remember this...The best way to make this country (or any country) a better place starts at home! Spend time with your kids (you are there role model) Spend time with your family! Teach values! If religion is a part of your life, make it a part of your childs life! There was never anything wrong in believing in Santa! What's wrong with believing in a higher power that just wants you to be a good decent person in this society? To treat everyone like family?Respect each other!Take time out of your million and one things to do and tell someone you love them! You work to make your life easier, not live to work!!! Your family should be your number 1 priorty ALWAYS! Back in the days we did that, the world was a better place then it is today!

Happy Voting! May the best man win (hopefully it will be the man with the most values and respect for every person , regardless of race, religion , nationality, poor , rich, old, young! )

doctor scrumpy Sep 17th 2004 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Marie723
Let's see...Bush has:
He took a evil man out of leadership that had the capabilities of seriously hurting our country and others. Not to mention what he did to his own people! Rather ya like it or not, getting this man of power did the whole world a favor!

He made a stable country very unstable, he took out a leader who the west was more than happy to fund when it suited. How exactly was Iraq going to damage the US ? No WMD seems to be the clear answer, funnily enough as Hans Blix said all along !

Duncan Roberts Sep 17th 2004 11:21 am

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
He made a stable country very unstable, he took out a leader who the west was more than happy to fund when it suited. How exactly was Iraq going to damage the US ? No WMD seems to be the clear answer, funnily enough as Hans Blix said all along !

And the leader of the UN just said that the war was illegal.

As for Medicare. Both my wife and I work in healthcare and the general feeling is that the new plans will make it worse and more expensive for people who need it most. It will remain to be seen what will happen, but the initial feeling is not good.

Marie723 Sep 17th 2004 12:15 pm

He made a Stable Country , unstable? you have to be kidding?

If you think for one second that man was not a threat to the US and other countries you are crazy! Regardless of who is president in the US! He has made them in the past, capable of making them again, capable of selling plans to make them to other terrorists and is in fact a threat to the world. Much less his own people. Any man , in any country that finds it ok, for him or his family to take from his own people, rape , kill , torture and so on, needs to be out of a leadership position. How can a man like that be "ok" to run a country? I think not!

Personal opinion, I am quite glad we did that and I'm sure the majority of people in that country are also happy! Evil spreads just as easy as love does, sad that it's less love these days. That is what is wrong with our society in several areas of the world including right here in the USA.
Sad really when people want to hang on the fact that no WMD's were found. hmm out of sight , out of mind works for some people I guess. People that know his history , knows what he is capable of. Good ridence!!!

People will say we shouldn't have stepped in, we have our own problems, well sure we do! But.....had we not, imagine all the lives that would have been lost over there if we hadn't! If it was any other country dealing with the same kind of leadership, I have a funny feeling, they wouldn't have minded so much if we helped them out?

As for health care, sad fact it will probably never be where we want it to be in the US (again ,regardless of president) They both offer strong statements on what they "will" do if elected.It's rather anything truely gets done about it or not that matters.

There will always be problems in the US and other countries, part of life, no such thing as perfect. Best thing to do is (re-read the last part of my 1st post) and start there. and then vote to make a difference.

You only live once, make the best of it!

doctor scrumpy Sep 17th 2004 12:35 pm

So any US president that funded Saddam to carry out his torture etc should be charged too ?

Lord above you need to read what really happens before you spout. Or do the media make it up when they claim that US troops are killed weekly in Iraq ? Sounds unstable to most people. How many Iraqi terrorists attacked the US ? NONE

How much Iraqi money funded terrorism ? NIL

No WMD means the war was illegal, as declared by the UN. Just because someone like you thinks bush was right does not mean he was. International law is there for all nations, not just those that can be arsed to follow it this week.

Marie723 Sep 17th 2004 12:56 pm

So any US president that funded Saddam to carry out his torture etc should be charged too ?

Lord above you need to read what really happens before you spout. Or do the media make it up when they claim that US troops are killed weekly in Iraq ? Sounds unstable to most people. How many Iraqi terrorists attacked the US ? NONE

How much Iraqi money funded terrorism ? NIL

No WMD means the war was illegal, as declared by the UN. Just because someone like you thinks bush was right does not mean he was. International law is there for all nations, not just those that can be arsed to follow it this week.

So because our servicemen are being killed over there, that is what has made Iraq unstable? Hardly, it was quite unstable long before.

As for international law......

That's why the president went to the United Nations.

"I was hoping diplomacy would work. The United Nations looked at the same intelligence we looked at, they remembered the same history we remembered, and by a 15-to- nothing vote in the United Nations Security Council voted to declare to Saddam Hussein, disclose, disarm or face serious consequences. I believe when international bodies speak, they must mean what they say, in order to make the world peaceful"

hmmm what were the international consequences?

"But as he had for over a decade, Saddam Hussein wasn't interested in what the free world said. He ignored this resolution like he ignored resolutions and resolutions and resolutions for the decade before. When the United Nations sent inspectors into the country, he systematically deceived the inspectors. So I'm faced with a choice: Do I forget the lessons of September the 11th, and take the word of a madman, or take action to defend this country? Given that choice, I will defend America every time."

We didn't find the stockpiles that we thought would be there, but Saddam Hussein had the capability of making weapons, and he could have passed that capability on to an enemy. And that was a risk we could not afford to take after September the 11th.

America and the world are safer with Saddam Hussein sitting in a prison cell. period!

Consider the historic gains made by promoting freedom. Under the President's leadership:

Fifty million people have been liberated from despotic, totalitarian regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The terrorist camps in Afghanistan have been destroyed.The Afghan government is conducting its own democratic elections and is an ally in the hunt to bring Al Qaeda terrorists to justice.
Supported by coalition allies, the men and women of our Armed Forces have brought Saddam Hussein- a declared enemy of America and supporter of terrorism who had the capability and a proven willingness to produce and use weapons of mass destruction - to justice. The brutal regime of Saddam Hussein is gone. An interim government is leading the Iraqi people to freedom.
Many in the world seek to use the world's most dangerous weapons against us. The President's national security strategy gives regimes a choice. They can choose to pursue Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) at great peril, cost, and international isolation. Or they can choose to renounce these weapons, take steps to rejoin the international community, and have the help of the United States and the world in creating a better future for their citizens. Libya's Moammar Ghadafi responded to the United States and our allies and surrendered his weapons of mass destruction program. He has provided critical information about how WMD knowledge is being secretly spread to the most dangerous regimes in the world.
Under President Bush's and Prime Minister Blair's leadership, British and U.S. intelligence officers have helped close down and dismantle Pakistani scientist A.Q. Kahn's secret nuclear proliferation network. Additionally, the United States continues to help nations that possess sensitive technologies to institute laws, regulations, and systems that will ensure that such technologies are properly controlled and do not fall into the hands of hostile states or non-state actors. The President is leading the international community in strengthening the capabilities of the International Atomic Energy Agency through adoption of its Additional Protocol as a requirement for the supply of nuclear technology. And President Bush led the creation of the Proliferation Security Initiative, a broad international partnership of more than sixty countries that is interdicting lethal materials in transit. These nations are sharing intelligence information, tracking suspect international cargo, and conducting joint military exercises.

In an era when rogue regimes still seek long-range missiles, the President continues to protect America by pushing forward with missile defense. The Administration is beginning to build a multi-layered missile defense system to protect the American people and our allies, friends, and forces deployed overseas. Later this year, the first components of America's missile defense system will become operational.