Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

building up credit history

building up credit history

Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default building up credit history

Hi;

Simple question really to new U.S immgrants, what did you do to build your credit history?

I was looking at BoA secured credit card but that requires a minimum $300 deposit.

Unsecured credit cards won't apply to me because I am still awaiting for SSN.

$50/$60 a month phone plans also don't apply because I am still awaiting my EAD to work.

So I guess my ONLY option would be to ask hubby to apply for both credit card and phone plans and we can build credit history together.

No rent - we live with his mom (for now until we can afford a place of our own)

No car loan - he has a car but is only paying for car insurance.

We have a joint savings account, does this count towards your credit history?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: building up credit history

Look at this article about establishing credit in the USA:
http://www.kamya.com/intro/miscstoriescred.html
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Look at this article about establishing credit in the USA:
http://www.kamya.com/intro/miscstoriescred.html
nice penguin! It not only has peoples experiences of building credit history but also AP and visa denials!

It was a good read!

thank you
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I got a contract with tmobile using my passport number - but you have to find someone who knows what they are talking about to get it in the first place!!! However this isnt going to establish you any credit - ive been paying phonebill and have gas and leccy in my name for a year and have zero credit. Am saving the 300 for the BoA card - is taking longer than I thought!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatadiva
nice penguin! It not only has peoples experiences of building credit history but also AP and visa denials!

It was a good read!

thank you
kamya was the early days of the net.
Bear in mind that the experiences go back a few years, esp WRT the immi info.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the wiki also has a lot of good info worth reading...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:35 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, creditboards.com is worth a look, especially for advice on correcting errors.

I've had a credit history in the USA for all of 2 months, and all three bureaus' reports are already riddled with errors...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:48 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at BoA secured credit card but that requires a minimum $300 deposit.
probably a good way to go....

I also feel the need to add, that if you can't afford to save up $300 in the next few months, perhaps you should reconsider having a credit card at all.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

i read that store cards (not store credit cards) and gasoline charge cards also help.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

i read that store cards (not store credit cards) and gasoline charge cards also help.
What kind of card is a store card that is not a store credit card?