Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit and the jokes!

Building credit and the jokes!

Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Building credit and the jokes!

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Do you think they were merely stupid, or taking the piss?
I really couldn't say...

These regional banks are great in one way - they are very friendly, know you by name and they actually call you when the need arises, but anything to do with international stuff and you haven't got a chance....
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

I think if you can get put on some sort of loan or credit account with your husband this will help.

I got here in July and myself and my husband bought a house, I wasn't allowed to take out the house loan on my own but putting me jointly on there with my husband was perfectly fine (it was a smallish bank we borrowed through).

Anyway 4 months after making on time monthly payments I was in home depot and they asked if I wanted to get a Home Depot store card thing, (I thought why not as it was 6months 0% interest and payments) so applied on my own and was accepted (with only a $500 limit mind you), the next month I got accepted for a victorias secret credit card with a $250 limit and then 2 months later At & t said my credit was sufficient to to a cellphone contract.

I was told when i first got here that to build up good credit just gradually apply for stuff i.e don't apply for 10 different store cards in one day, and make sure the balance is paid off in full each month.

After reading these posts I think I am going to try get a BofA or capital1 secured credit card because I've wanted to get a credit card but was worried about applying for one in case applying would damage the little credit score I have.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Why? If we have the account now, with both a debit and a credit card (mastercard - unsecured) why would there be a problem using this?
The HSBC Premiere DEBIT card cant seem to cope with on line ordering it gets rejected if the address doesnt match EXACTLY, ie if Avenue is on your address and the on line retailers host uses Ave, etc it wont work, there are quite a few of us on here who cant use it on line! Dont bother calling them you'll waste an hour of your life, they know about the problem but cant sort it!

It's no problem in the shops, except for some reason Home Depot, where mine is always rejected.

And transferring money from the UK account to some US accounts doesnt work on line either, again they know about the problem, but cant seem to fix it!

Just not quite as 'Global' as how they sell it to you thats all! Good luck!

The Credit Card works fine though.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:11 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh010447
These regional banks are great in one way - they are very friendly, know you by name and they actually call you when the need arises, but anything to do with international stuff and you haven't got a chance....
We were lucky, because this is oil country, which means expat engineers and our little local bank has a deal with the refinery, so they actually have people who understand the international stuff.

Plus, you can go in and get free photocopying, notary service, all sorts.