Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit history before move

Building credit history before move

Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building credit history before move

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're welcome.

The US banking system is quite bizarre, certainly unlike that in the UK, and many Americans are pretty clueless about how to do things that should be totally routine, such as send or receive a wire.
In my role I sent money all over the world, but found the US could be as tricky as India. I often ended up setting up a payee in my banking system, screenshotting it, and getting the recipient to confirm or correct - then it was their responsibility if it failed. To be fair to them, the instructions issued by their banks were often really confusing, and my bank didn't have a great online system.

I'm really keen to find an ethical bank / institution but need to balance that with functionality. (In Au, as an eNGO I found this impossible and we embarrassingly remained with one of the Big Four. Was so relieved when they cleaned up their act a bit.)

Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Hi Tom, I'm interested in credit unions. We're heading over to Seattle soon, not sure how long for - we'll be on an E3, non-migrant visa - and we will be renting, don't need house or car loans, will maintain Au and UK bank accounts and pay local obligations from those (we own our Au property). Don't even want to think about the tax implications of all that right now but thinking our day-to-day US finances should be fairly simple.

Being a recently ex Finance Director of an Au organisation with US-based staff, I know that international transfers to CUs can sometimes be tricky, e.g., need to go through intermediary banks. If it ends up being a longer term move, we may need to do more of that kind of thing.

Would be grateful for your thoughts and any recommendations. Thanks.
What Pulaski said

I've not had problems with mine. Done a wire, some traditional fx transfers and then a bunch of Transferwise and not had an issue.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 12:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
What Pulaski said

I've not had problems with mine. Done a wire, some traditional fx transfers and then a bunch of Transferwise and not had an issue.
Good to hear, thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
What Pulaski said

+1
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Southernboy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would appear you can, i have had Issued in my own name an unsecured card through Capital One with an initial credit limit of $2,500 for the last 7 months and Signing up to a couple of free credit score sites my credit rating is 751 - 785. All it took was an ITIN number and use of my wife’s Family’s residential address in the US. Capital One report to all 3 credit bureaus so hopefully on arrival in 12 months time i will not be a completely invisible man in the credit world!!
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot generate a true FICO score (you will never get a FICO score through a free site) without an SSN and at least 6 months of history.

Despite what you may think, I'm afraid you aren't building any history right now until you get, and update with Cap One, your SSN.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You cannot generate a true FICO score (you will never get a FICO score through a free site) without an SSN and at least 6 months of history.

Despite what you may think, I'm afraid you aren't building any history right now until you get, and update with Cap One, your SSN.
Agreed. Lenders can tell an ITIN from an SSN, and you can't pull a credit score with an ITIN.

In fact there are now some "bottom of the barrel" SSN's being issued that I have heard are causing problems when someone tries to apply for credit because the lender's systems are flagging the number as not a genuine SSN.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's also worth noting that history is very important on the credit system - and I mean at least multiple years of history.

I've been here a few years now and still have trouble signing up for services such as new internet packages when they run my information. I say that as for whatever reason FICO reports me fairly consistently between 775 and 800.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a 750+ FICO score with only a year of history depending on your profile, but lenders look at more than that. It's the old saying about your support being a mile wide and an inch deep. Companies would rather see you have 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan (which is all that is required for maximum FICO scoring) that are 5 years old, than 20 cards, 2 mortgages and an auto loan that where only taken out a year ago.

It's a simple risk formula, and the score is only one part.

When I bought a house late last year, all my utilities wanted a deposit up to a 775 score. Luckily mine was a 780. Not anymore. A new house, new truck and a new credit card in less than 6 months will do that too your score.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

It was also said it was impossible to get a card.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:49 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Southernboy123
It was also said it was impossible to get a card.
Not by me it wasn't.

But go ahead and call FICO, they'll tell you what I just did.

Or sign up and ask the myFICO forums. They'll also tell you what I just did.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

And as I understand it a SSN is only one piece of identifying a person in the credit system. Used simply because it’s the quickest. A name and an address is all that is needed to create a credit file and be reported on, this was direct from the Experian website.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:51 pm
Often not so civil...

And as I understand it a SSN is only one piece of identifying a person in the credit system. Used simply because it’s the quickest. A name and an address is all that is needed to create a credit file and be reported on, this was direct from the Experian website.
Creating a credit file sure. That's not the same as generating a true, FICO based, credit score.

What you are looking at on those free sites is the adVantage score 3.0, it was created by credit card companies. I can literally count on one hand the number of lenders and issuers that use that score, and it isn't any of the big ones.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant

So basically a credit card issuer who has a name and address of a customer who it has lent money to in the form of a credit card is then not going to report the management and payment activity of that customer Because they have no SSN which as I say again is only one means of identifying an individual as per Experian.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to put data in, but a lender can't get it back out again unless it is indexed on an SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.