Wikiposts

Building Credit Footprint before moving to US from UK

Old Jul 12th 2018, 4:58 am
Just Joined

JohnSmith17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Building Credit Footprint before moving to US from UK

HI,

I am due to move to the US (San Fran) on an E-2 Visa in mid October from the UK

A friend of mine advised me to get an American Express card in the UK and start to build some credit history. Once I move over to San Francisco I can then transfer my account to a US based account and carry over the credit history to help me on my way.

Is this information correct and is there anything else I can do to help before making the move?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Credit Footprint before moving to US from UK

Not to sound harsh but there are a bunch of threads around this already, suggest you use the search function to search for AMEX global transfer and credit history - there are many good recommendations in those threads.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:19 am
Just Joined

JohnSmith17 is an unknown quantity at this point

apologies, already found many. Trying to delete the thread but struggling to find how
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Just for those that may find only this thread in the future and not bother searching for any of the others, even with Amex Global Transfer you cannot 'transfer your UK credit history to the US'

Amex will provide you with a card from day one in the US, and that will certainly be a bump, but you will start as essentially an 18 year old with zero credit history. No way around that.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot build your credit footprint in the US before you move there.

If you have a UK Amex, then they may offer you a US Amex on arrival based on your UK credit history.

But they cannot transfer your UK credit history to the US.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved in 2009, Amex let me have a US card on arrival. Amex reported the 'open date' of the credit card as 2007, the date I first became an Amex UK customer. Age of credit cards is an influence on US credit ratings.

Amex is a great credit card firm and we never leave home without ours, purchase protection, accidental damage, extended warranty etc.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Amex worked for me. Just wish I’d know before, so could have had longer transfer history.

once in the US building a reliable history matters. Payments, amount of credit, credit used etc all matter. Also, don’t apply for too many cards, one or two is a good start. I did two others plus Amex, in order to build history and relationship with banks and credit companies...
Old Jul 14th 2018, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I got an Amex about 4 months before I came over. You don’t get a FICO score until you have been here 6 months.

you will get an equifax and Experian rating but you really need FICO.

inalso leased a BMW X5 through BMW global finance that took in to account my UK credit rating. Ford have a similar program.

After 6 months I went to my bank (Chase) and asked them for a credit card. They rejected me but a chat with a manager saw the decision overturned.

I now have Amex, Visa and car lease so 3 good lines of credit. I keep the cards below 10% just so it shows me using them and paying them off.

8 months in and I have a credit of 720 but what I need now is time. Have been told once I get past a year and if I stay above 720 I should have non problem getting a mortgage.