Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit

Building credit

Old Apr 30th 2019, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building credit

It's part of it, but no one cares about the score itself until they can see some history, because it is easy to get a score.

Score is only really useful when going for mortgages, after you've got a couple years of history behind it.
Old May 2nd 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Can't recommend enough that those who can get put on a spouse's card as an authorised user asap. After finally getting an SSN (so long H4 non-person status), I trotted off to my credit union and asked for a credit card expecting them to give me a secured one as I do not yet have a job. Turns out that I had a credit score even though I had no SSN. And because the credit line on my OH's card (which is not even from the same bank) is quite large, they gave a non-secured card with a $1000 limit. Happy Days! I applied for Chase and Discover online and was rejected for 'not enough credit history' so I think it helps to explain the situation in person.
Old May 5th 2019, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Capital One basic credit card and one through my bank too, to get me started. Not the best credit cards, but they've allowed me to start building my credit history!
Old May 5th 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robUK81
They had no problem giving me a credit card with a $1500 limit straight away with no credit history.
My first credit card a few years back was $200.

I think my second was an awesome increase to a whole $500.
Old May 5th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my bank Wells Fargo and opened a secured credit card. I didn’t have my own bank account at the time (although did have a joint account). Used it for small purchases and made sure I paid them off and my numbers soon started rising. The only issue I had with the Wells Fargo card, apart from the 22% APR, was they changed it to a secured card to a non secured card without telling me. It would have been nice to know.
Old May 18th 2019, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

I would definitely talk to your bank to start with.

I've had issues with 'missing credit scores'; I bank with HSBC and when signing up to CreditKarma, I had an Equifax score but no TransUnion score. A year later, still no TransUnion score. I guess HSBC just don't report to that credit bureau. Either way, I setup with Intuit Mint for budgeting recently and they offer to add your credit information to the site. Intuit seems to only query TransUnion .. and so they just come back saying "Yeah we can't find any information on you."

It could be that whoever OP is applying for only checks a credit bureau his current bank doesn't report to.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help but think I have had it much easier than most, despite expecting it to be difficult after reading this and many other forum topics on the challenges of building credit when arriving in the country. Fortunately having a relationship for the past few years with both Amex and HSBC really paid off...

I still don't have a credit score (I dont think) as not all my accounts have had my SSN on them for very long, but I have been here for 4 months now and I now have 3 x amex cards with $10k credit limit on each, and a HSBC premier credit card for $5.5k. I use one of these cards for every single bit of spending and always pay off as soon as possible. Obviously I don't plan to use anywhere near the total credit limit at any time, but after paying for our wedding recently the sign up bonuses that came with each card have been really helpful.

I'm assuming, that other than having a few hard searches on my account in a short period of time, this should set me up quite well for building credit in the longer term? Other than co-paying rent and our electricity bill, I don't (think I) have any other ways to build credit as I don't want/need any other loans or finance products, or require any other utilities in my name.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 10:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You need an installment loan to get anything approaching a 750+ score, credit cards alone will not do it since you are also scored on your 'credit mix'

Even if you borrow a small amount over a 12 month period, the presence of that loan will give you at least another 20-30 points and those points will increase as it is paid down.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
I'm assuming, that other than having a few hard searches on my account in a short period of time, this should set me up quite well for building credit in the longer term? Other than co-paying rent and our electricity bill, I don't (think I) have any other ways to build credit as I don't want/need any other loans or finance products, or require any other utilities in my name.
Average age of your accounts is the other big one.

I have a flawless payment record, a good mix of accounts and some decent limits but it's the average age that's stopping me from getting a higher score at this point.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:34 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Average age of your accounts is the other big one.

I have a flawless payment record, a good mix of accounts and some decent limits but it's the average age that's stopping me from getting a higher score at this point.
same, despite 9 years here and every other criteria being at the top level my average age of credit is still at 4 years (multiple mortgages, refi’s, cars and additional credit cards for different rewards) I am always in the high 700’s or low 800’s depending when I clear my monthly balances. I would have to stop buying properties and/or cars for maybe 10 years to have any chance of getting in the 850 range.