Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit

Building credit

Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building credit

Originally Posted by danj26

May I ask are you from the UK? How long has it taken to establish sufficient credit to secure a mortgage?
Yes, I am from the UK.

I (we) bought 16 months after I entered on my CR-1 (11/2001) - my wife is a USC, lived in the US all her life prior to us getting married, when she spent almost two years in the UK IOW she had a decent credit score of her own.

I do not know if I could have qualified earlier, but I switched jobs and relocated to another state, so buying earlier wasn't something we considered, at least not in terms of submitting a mortgage application. .... Per oft-repeated advice here on BE, buying immediately after you arrive, before you're settled, might be a catastrophic mistake, and it would have been for us!

I/we qualified on my income (my wife wasn't working at that time), and I had only had been in my current job for two months at that time. We only borrowed apparently about half what the bank was apparently willing to lend!

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 5th 2017 at 5:16 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Does it really matter what credit scoring agency your lender use? In my experience from the UK, some use Experian and others Equifax! In the USA can you opt to have your record drawn from the most generous rated agency? Thanks, Daniel.
No it is not a question of which agency, but the scoring method. Most lenders use FICO scores but, contrary to popular belief, there are many versions of the FICO score. The more recently introduced Vantage score (which Credit Karma uses) also has different versions.

For monitoring your own credit, the information that matters is the trend. So as long as you use the same score consistently you will be able to monitor how things are going.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob. Have read the thread and have learnt some good stuff - thank you. Can you please clarify though as you made my heart sink to my stomach. When you say £50-600 deposit utilities!! trust this was a typo but please confirm for gas, electric, water etc should not usually exceed $100pm in LA? Honestly I hadn’t even considered the energy supply aspect so thank you! Daniel.
Bob was talking about deposit fees to get the utilities up and running, not the recurring monthly use charges. It was not a typo.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

danj26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Bob was talking about deposit fees to get the utilities up and running, not the recurring monthly use charges. It was not a typo.

Rene
When you buy a place you pay a one off $500-600 for utilities deposit? Assume this isn’t the case if you rent?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No it is not a question of which agency, but the scoring method. Most lenders use FICO scores but, contrary to popular belief, there are many versions of the FICO score. The more recently introduced Vantage score (which Credit Karma uses) also has different versions.

For monitoring your own credit, the information that matters is the trend. So as long as you use the same score consistently you will be able to monitor how things are going.
Thank you I will do this!
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, I am from the UK.

I (we) bought 16 months after I entered on my CR-1 (11/2001) - my wife is a USC, lived in the US all her life prior to us getting married, when she spent almost two years in the UK IOW she had a decent credit score of her own.

I do not know if I could have qualified earlier, but I switched jobs and relocated to another state, so buying earlier wasn't something we considered, at least not in terms of submitting a mortgage application. .... Per oft-repeated advice here on BE, buying immediately after you arrive, before you're settled, might be a catastrophic mistake, and it would have been for us!

I/we qualified on my income (my wife wasn't working at that time), and I had only had been in my current job for two months at that time. We only borrowed apparently about half what the bank was apparently willing to lend!
Interesting thanks for coming back to me!
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thanks for coming back to me!
Ur welcome.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

When you buy a place you pay a one off $500-600 for utilities deposit? Assume this isn’t the case if you rent?
Yes this can be the case even for a renter! It depends if utilities are included or not.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 12:22 am

Some rentals include some utilities (I think water is most likely) but not all do. I believe that (some) utilities are more often included in apartment rentals (blocks of flats), but much less often in rented single family (detached), duplexes (semis), or town homes (terraced homes).
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob. Have read the thread and have learnt some good stuff - thank you. Can you please clarify though as you made my heart sink to my stomach. When you say £50-600 deposit utilities!! trust this was a typo but please confirm for gas, electric, water etc should not usually exceed $100pm in LA? Honestly I hadn’t even considered the energy supply aspect so thank you! Daniel.
You have no US credit. Be prepared to put down a deposit, ranging from $50-600 to every utility.

Be happy if they ask for less, but still budget for it.

You'll get it back of course, but it's still a up front set up cost to have in mind.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you rent. Unless you don't want gas/electric/phone/internet.

Water will be up to landlord, usually.

Rubbish collection, up to town/landlord.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We had to place deposits for Electric, Gas and Water (we rent a single family home). They all got repaid or credited within 6 months. For Electric, as we only have one supplier, we also had to live with a higher rate to start with and we were farmed out to a bad credit version of the company. 12 months later and they let us join the well behaved people.

Mortgage - you can quality immediately using certain products and your UK history. For a conventional USA mortgage you are looking at around 2 years, but other products do exist that you'd probably qualify for earlier. Again, expect a less than market leading rate. We haven't pushed the button yet, but 15 months after arriving we have an offer on the table for a mortgage (waiting a few months before proceeding). Buying without the right status does present some risks (as many on here will happily provide advice on) - you'd need to balance those quite considerable risks vs. the benefits in your own personal situation.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved over in November, for a job, and bought a house immediately. A couple of mortgage brokers would sort out a loan without any US credit record, relying on UK documentation. However these would have been at a rate of 5%.
Having lived in the US before I already had a social security number and dormant credit record. With a little effort, this allowed us to access a lower rate. My USC wife has a good credit record, and more active thanks to paying off student loans. I don't think this helped much, as she didn't have a US job lined up, so no US income.
And even though my credit score etc was enough to buy a house, the gas and elec companies still want a few hundred dollars deposit. Maybe just being a new customer in the area. And not having any US credit cards of my own at the time.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:10 am
Just Joined

London Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

DanJ26 I was coming back and forth for a while but actually moved over formally Nov 2016 but before that I had obtained a mortgage which is now with Wells Fargo. Beware I was referred to a "Mortgage Broker" by the builders and they tried to rip me off however when I reported this to the building company the director arranged for me to speak with a different broker and I got 4% fixed my wife is american but she has no income my income is from UK Let me know if you need any help happy to share my experiences but you must be very very careful that you dont get caught up in the many scams
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone please tell me at what point I should be able to view my credit profile on the likes of Credit Karma et al?

I arrived in the US four weeks ago, received my SSN one week ago, opened my first American bank account today and, thus far, have not sought or obtained any credit anywhere. Credit Karma doesn't recognise me at all (it says my information doesn't match any records) - is this because I'm such a newbie to the country/bank? Or will it only recognise me once I've applied for credit somewhere?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.