Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Budweiser was nasty before, but this ....

Budweiser was nasty before, but this ....

Old Jul 4th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budweiser was nasty before, but this ....

Here's a local favorite of mine http://www.fourpeaks.com/ The Kiltlifter is good.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 4:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
You missed off America Oldest Brewery:

www.yuengling.com

The Black and Tan is great. It's like real ales in England.
Yuengling isn't bad, very popular around here...then it would be wouldn't it
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:45 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mostly myth - but it is apparently illegal to disclose the alcohol content of beer (which is why it never appears on the label - even of imported beers e.g. Heinekin), AND many states have a maximum strength that (draught) beers can be - which can be as little as 3%. I think that Florida is one of those states with a low permitted alcohol level for draught beers, which would then probably be where the (semi-)myth of American beers in Britain being stronger than in the US came from.
5% for bud.

http://contactus.anheuser-busch.com/.../nutrition.asp

unsurprisingly its the same in the UK.

Funny thing is can't find any mention of chemicals.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:46 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can't you get Samuel Adams beers? .... They're brewed in Boston and is widely available (groceries and restaurants alike, including those that sell pretty much only Bud, Coors amd Miller), and at least as far south and west as Georgia and Tennessee that I know of; but the best bit is that actually taste like half-decent beer.
Sam Adams has to be the best mass-market US lagers I've tasted. Yuengling lager is ok, but is a bit lackluster in canned or bottled form.

Sam Adams is like nectar in draught.

While in Kennebunk, Maine, we stopped at a restaurant called Federal Jacks. They had a plethora of microbrews at great prices ($3.50 a pint), that included brown ales, stouts and beers. The owner of the restaraunt is apparently British, hence the heavy focus on quality beer.

I had a great time there
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
5% for bud. .....
Yes, I've been surfing the internet for a while and aside from Utah and Oklahoma that has a 3.2% limit on bheer strength for "certain establishments", and six states, including North Carolina and Georgia, that cap beer strength at 6% I can see no mention of other limits. I guess that I was mislead by the myth of "weak American beer"!