Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Budget for relocation expenses

Wikiposts

Budget for relocation expenses

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for relocation expenses

are you still a contractor with the company that from a previous post excludes you from an L1A visa? I wouldn't come over on an H1B visa with a 16 yr old. At least with an L1A, there is a good chance you will be able to get a GC for that child.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So if you want to save any significant amount on the cost of shipping your things, you need to plan for an almighty clear-out such that you don't have enough stuff to warrant using a container at all.
Agree with all, I would aim for the two suitcase job, forget the container!
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Crux is an unknown quantity at this point

Two things already mentioned that you should pay special attention to.

1. Have in writing that the company will sponsor & pay for a green card for the whole family & have a maximum agreed time frame for them to file for it. The child age out at 21 is no joke and time moves fast. If you cannot secure that - then proceed only on the basis of this USA move being a temporary life adventure, and at that point consider just how much that could screw up your kids.

2. Repatriation if it does not work out – this is the one thing I did not have in my agreement that lost me some sleep on occasion. My package included UK house selling costs and US house purchase closing costs. The cost of those things in reverse would have been far higher. Not to mention the stress of having to move your life out of the country on a tight time line.

A nice to have that I would try for if I had my time over - Yearly return flight costs back to the UK to see family and an agreement that I could work remote in the UK for a week each year. I don’t really sweat the cost anymore, but I don’t like the fact that something so essential as seeing parents burns through precious vacation time. On that same theme, make sure you get a healthy vacation allowance built into the deal.

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Crux is an unknown quantity at this point

Also beware the potential for hidden costs.

I lost roughly $50k in purchasing power bringing money over to establish in the US. Planned my decision pre Brexit at an exchange rate of 1.42, ended up transferring cash at a rate of 1.22 - may not be an issue for you, but the point is that the move can be expensive in surprising ways.

All that said it's been more than worth it.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 7:04 am
Just Joined

skybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjmb
are you still a contractor with the company that from a previous post excludes you from an L1A visa? I wouldn't come over on an H1B visa with a 16 yr old. At least with an L1A, there is a good chance you will be able to get a GC for that child.
Thanks for the message.

No longer a contractor. I've been an employee with them for 4 years.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head the things which are going to cost you immediately:

- flights to the US
-hotel accommodation prior to flights and when you get to US
- temporary rental costs for apartment/house prior to buying, deposits etc
- shipping your furniture/personal items
- rental car costs until such time as you buy
- purchasing kitchen 'stuff' until such time as your goods arrive unless you get a fully furnished/equipped apartment.

Most of the above you can research online(especially for flights/accommodation/rental car) and get a good picture of what it would cost.

-
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Agree with all of the above, a company can throw you out for no reason at all in some States (maybe all!?), then you have limited time to pack up and leave. I would negotiate relocation back to the UK as well as suggested.

He's not likely to get any of this since he is undertaking this move himself (the company are not asking him to move, HE has). So far they have only said they would provide the visas. He does not have much negotiating flexibility.